Orienteering: A training session on how to use a map and compass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orienteering: A training session on how to use a map and compass

After playing Scope's mission 10:00 to 12:00 (The one where you have to rescue the scientist in the woods that is randomly spawned at an enemy camp), it became rather apparent that TG should organize an orienteering training session. Due to the size of the area of operation and the number of friendly assets (approx 35 to 40 players), it became confusing for some (including myself at one point) when we went into a wooded area west of Vybor. I recall at one point the entire platoon level MG section was rendered ineffective due to the section being lost. This becomes a critical skill once people no longer have GPS or the ability to see waypoint markers.

I am unsure of how to rectify this situation except for putting players in the middle of the woods and running an orienteering competition with willing TG members acting as checkpoint stations to help guide the new recruits. I am certain that one could also script the above; however, it may be more useful to have the TG trainers viewing the participants in 'High Command' mode so they can see where they are moving. I think back to my days in Scouts where activities such as the above were a means to avoid getting lost no matter where I was in the woods. Some of this would be very simple information like finding an identifiable landmark such as a road, or going on top of a hill to have a better overview. That being said, it is better to assume that some of our playerbase have not used a map and compass in the real world

As an addendum, all mission makers should equip every infantryman, at minimum, with a map and compass so players can navigate. I realize that sometimes in real life not everyone will have a map; however, I think in arma it is a small sacrifice to make. I often enjoy getting lost while playing arma; however, if I did not have a map, there would be no way of knowing where I was save for committing Chenerus to memory.(I am not quite there yet)

-Skin

Re: Orienteering: A training session on how to use a map and compass

I generally am pretty good at finding my way but Im sure there are tips or tricks that i dont know..could watch a youtube video and figure out the way to do that in arma but would be more fun this way :)

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

I have just been putting a bit of a guide together to explain the map in ArmA 2 I think it have all that is needed. The reason I think is that people have a hard time reading a map and therefore it wont help to throw them feet first into a navigational scenario. If you see anything that I have forgotten feel free to ad it.

Your ingame map is textured which makes life easier since you can easily tell where fields are and general navigation is made easier. To help you further there are a number of symbols placed on the map. There are also 2 different colours that have been painted on the map these are green that represents forest and grey that represents rocks. Buildings are represented with grey squares and Stone fences with long grey squares. The two are not that hard to distinguish so I will not go further in-depth. Individual trees and bushes are marked on your map with green circles. There are the following markers on your map:

Comms towers are the towers that have the dome at the top.
      Trig Point is not something that is useful for navigation in game since they have not been put in the game (at least I haven't been able to find them).
      By water source it means anything from a well to a fountain.
      The rest should be self explanatory.

There are also a text on the map the below explains what the different text indicates. On the right you have what it looks like on the map and to the left what it is.

Depending on the zoom level you have on your map you will see different elevation lines. When zoomed all the way in each line represent 1 meter in elevation every fifth is thicker then the others. The next set of lines are 2 meters, then 5 meters, then 10 meters and then 20 meter. In all of these levels every fifth line is thicker then the others. When zoomed way out you have height given in 50 meter or 100 meter increments with no thick lines. If you see a dot on the map with some numbers behind it you have a hilltop. Then numbers indicate the height of the hill. This together with the elevation lines can be used to figure out where you will have a superior position on the enemy. It is a good idea to keep this in mind when planning an attack since it is going to be annoying as hell attacking uphill if you thought you were attacking downhill (have seen this happen).

I am also trying to get a TGU class going that will do exactly this. Where I will try and tell people what to focus on when needing to find their bearings, how to get to a certain point and some other stuff the format isn't really finished yet.
      If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

The only thing I really have problems with is giving a numbered bearing. I can't make out the numbers on the compass so I have no idea how to do this.

In most missions only the PL needs to know where the PL. Everyone else just watch your area and follow his orders.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

stay tuned, a tgu course is being planned for this exact thing :)

Comment

Maybe even 2 of them!
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...ml#post1329348 sign up here
              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Signed up
                |TG|Ghost02
                TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Not my mission, mate. The X00-Y00 missions are courtesy of Lq. Snake.

Comment

Im pretty sure the hill numbers are not the height of the hill as some hills to the north are two digit numbers and are just as high as the ones to the south.

I believe they are all just given unique numbers so you can say 'Hill ###' and everyone will know which one you are talking about

Regarding a training session, I actually have a training mission designed for TG darn near done
                    ---Bellicosity---

Comment

Originally posted by DLBlue View Post
                      Im pretty sure the hill numbers are not the height of the hill as some hills to the north are two digit numbers and are just as high as the ones to the south.

I believe they are all just given unique numbers so you can say 'Hill ###' and everyone will know which one you are talking about

Regarding a training session, I actually have a training mission designed for TG darn near done
                      No the hills are numbered according to their height above mean sea level (MSL) however the terrain surrounding the hills may be at a higher elevation in some areas than others so say for instance that a hill 150 is surrounded by terrain that is approximately 120m in height, therefore from the point of view of a person climbing they would make an elevation gain of 30m. This would appear identical to stay a hill 100 that was surrounded by terrain that averages 70m MSL. however if you were able to observe hill 70 from hill 120 you would find that hill 120 is indeed 50m taller than hill 70.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                        The only thing I really have problems with is giving a numbered bearing. I can't make out the numbers on the compass so I have no idea how to do this.

In most missions only the PL needs to know where the PL. Everyone else just watch your area and follow his orders.

I already did a test for myself. I made myself HALO down so I don't know where I would land. And I navigated to Devil's castle and then to the airfield :D

But yeh. You need to turn up your 3D Resolution to see the numbers.

Comment

I agree that by default the compass is too small, but no need to worry: One feature of a modpack called at_gui is an enlarged stock compass, which makes things a lot easier. The modpack is modular, so you don't have to use anything else out of it than the compass if you don't want to.
                          http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5908

Alternatively, here's a mod that gives you a whole new, larger compass. I haven't used this one myself, but at least the compass seems to be big enough:
                          http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6671

Comment

Oh wow, tried the second mod Fincuan and it is much better than the stock compass
                            ---Bellicosity---

Comment

May I just comment that good map reading skills are very useful for determining points of observation for recce and setting up firing positions for over-watch elements and lines of assault for assault elements?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X