I need help installing mods.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help installing mods.

Hi people, I need some help. I'm trying to install the LandTex mod for Arma 2, but when I go to unzip it with WinRaR it either gives me an error mid-load, or it gives me a notification saying something about needing to know what program I want to open the files with.

I'm rediculously new at addons and modding, so I really don't know what I'm doing other than following the instructions given to me on the mods site. Though they havn't helped me otherwise I wouldn't be posting this. Could someone run through the process with me and what programs I'll be needing to get this thing installed?

P.S.: As a side question. Is there a newer vershion of the LandTex mod beyond 1.0?

Thanks a lot for the help!
    sigpic

Re: I need help installing mods.

For starters get a program that is able to unpack the archive. I don't know what filetypes Winrar supports, but I use 7-zip and haven't had any problems with opening archives. An error midway through unpacking points to a corrupted file though, not an incompatible filetype.

After you've unpacked it read the readme. 90% of the time it tells all you need. If not, Armaholic has a good set of instructions: http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

Comment

Well I think I got it to work, but I won't really know until I log into the server and it says I'm using the mod.
      sigpic

Comment

Alright, I'm pretty sure that didn't work. I installed along with the LandTex mod, a mod that was supposed to change vegetation and I can't tell a difference at all. I'm using 7-zip, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I just select the files I want and say extract to folder "X" right?
        sigpic

Comment

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Modfolders

Comment

Alright, thank you for the link, but I know how to make the modfolders and add the shortcut. My problem is with getting my downloaded addons opened and in that folder. I've tried both 7-zip and WinRaR and for some reason they both say that they can't open the file. WinRaR says it can open 7-zip files, but for some reason it is having a lot of problems doing so.
            sigpic

Comment

With WinRar, just right-click the file (assuming you installed the context menu stuff) -> Open With... -> WinRar Archiver. Then just put the files where you want them.

If that doesn't work (and especially if 7-Zip complains about the 7z file) then the file itself might be a corrupt download.

Comment

Ok so I did that. Open With... -> WinRar Archiver. Now I do the Extract to -> "Whatever my modfolder is called" correct? Or do I just open up that modfolder and drag the files in WinRar into the modfolder?
                sigpic

Comment

Different from mod to mod how they are packed in the zip/rar archives and how you want them arranged. Important thing is that you end up with a ...\ArmA2\@ModName\AddOns\xxx.pbo file structure.

Comment

7zip is probably the best zip program out right now. I would right click on the file you download and choose the "extract to xxxx" option which creates a folder the same name as a file. Then you can easily move those files to another folder such as a mod folder in your ArmA directory. That is the process I follow to keep my mods organized outside of my game folder so I can only copy what I need to the game folder.
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Alright, does this look like a properly put together Target Line?

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\beta\arma2.exe" -mod=beta;@LandTex;@Prop -nosplash

If not then please show me the correct way I should have this setup. Dang I suck at this addon business.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sure looks good to me :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed