Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is going on with BI and Island makers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is going on with BI and Island makers?

I was looking into the BI forums and armaholic, in a quest to understand the lack of new islands for arma2 and the disappearance of opx, when started reading many posts of censored discontent, as usual in BI forums...

Can someone explain me what is going on in arma2? I found a post in armaholic stating that BI didn't release all the tools for the island makers, making their job almost impossible, is this true?
    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Re: What is going on with BI and Island makers?

I don't know, but I miss a good desert (iraqshi style) map.

Comment

I have certainly failed to notice any such thing, or at least it's currently not very visible on BIS forums. There's even a tutorial on how to make an island, and there's currently 17 listings in Armaholic's "Islands"-section. Not all are islands, but then again that's not all that have been released for A2. Given that the game has been out for only six months that's pretty well in my opinion.

Comment

I *think* that it was Visitor3 that wasn't in the ArmA2 tool pack when it was first released, so there was no way to convert missions to ArmA2 from ArmA1 without a lot of bugs due to missing functionality. Or it is that Visitor3 lacks some functionality that are in BIS maps, so user-made maps will suffer in some way.

Personally I think Opteryx seems like a crybaby that can't understand that BIS doesn't perform charity, but actually is a company that has to work on keeping a profit, and that they can't do EVERYTHING that the community wants. The speed which with the tool pack was released was impressive by ANY game's standards, as was the amount of tools included, even if everything maybe wasn't perfect.

Comment

Reading back the posts it looks like Opteryx's main gripe was the lack of support from BIS in terms of documentation and their lack of acknowledgement towards user made islands. No big "BIS vs. mapmakers" fight here. The first part... well it sucks but I don't suppose we can expect full documentation for something that's completely extra and free. The second part, well that's his personal feelings. I've never made any big addons so I won't comment on that.

ps. Inko it's islands or maps, not missions :)

Comment

I should do that distinction by habit now, but apparantly not. I blame the fact I haven't slept for 24 hours! :o

And well, if it is as simple as lack of documentation I can't blame them at all. I wouldn't be arsed to document the programs either if I was them, considering the effort needed to write good documentation.

Comment

There is something that isn't clear, from a post I've seen (can't find it now) it seems that arma2 doesn't have the same tools/documentation (I really don't know which one) that arma1 had and that seems to be the major problem for the island makers (note that islands means maps).

If this is the case, it seems to explain the lack of islands (maps) we have for arma2, and we are the ones really losing with this. I'll try to understand the problem better when I have more time.
              sigpic

Comment

There are some new features when it comes to ArmA2-maps compared to ArmA1-maps. I'm no map-maker, so I don't know which, but I guess there was no existing documentation at all about how to set those things up.

And well, I'd blame the current lack of maps on that they take so long to make. We've already got a few maps ported over from ArmA1 after all. Just suppose that not all mapmakers have the energy to convert, or maybe don't even have ArmA2 :)

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                  And well, I'd blame the current lack of maps on that they take so long to make. We've already got a few maps ported over from ArmA1 after all. Just suppose that not all mapmakers have the energy to convert, or maybe don't even have ArmA2 :)
                  I really hope they do Inkompetent, because we had some good looking WIP's by the end of arma1 and it really saddens me not to see them in the arma2 section of BI forums.
                  sigpic

Comment

Making island / new map is very difficult and takes lots of time. I'm making a map based on desert and Somalia.

Its not easy, I got all the tutorials from different websites, put them together and I'm doing good so far. However, don't think it's like making a mission, because its not. Making a good island takes many weeks, sometimes few months.

Example:

I found nice satellite picture of a desert, after finally I was able to hook it up in the visitor, I'm not satisfied. I will use it just for now, when all objects are done I will have to look for some other satellite data.

I will open up a thread pretty soon, where you guys will be able to see pictures and progress that I'm making.

Comment

I am in favor of the conspiracy theory. I think there is a BIS vs Map makers case here. We need to dig out the X Files file on it.

// begin rant

Yeah, making islands is extra and free, but BIS doesn't help the popularity of their game when they release such CRAP documentation on using their tools. You realize in this age of online videos.. they could have even at least took 10 or 20 minutes to simply TALK about using the tool while capturing their screen using it and they didn't even do that. They need to stop thinking in a box. They don't need it invest in professional graphics or design for making literature on using their tools. They could simply make some pod casts with examples or screen capture videos. And I'm sure they have 10 or 20 minutes of free time.

Shame on BIS.

// end rant.
                      Last edited by GeneralCarver; 11-23-2009, 01:48 PM. Reason: More to rant!
                      Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

*pulls the generals string* Play it again sam.

I agree..Someone over there needs to get fired. The game has had a very long modding community and mission making following that they should give us back SOMETHING! A little hey check this out....here is how you can do this.....*sigh*

*pulls the generals string again*

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                          The game has had a very long modding community and mission making following that they should give us back SOMETHING!
                          Dev tools anyone? Free and completely extra on top of the game. Without the dev tools and mods the game would probably have very little in terms of community, see for example OFP: DR. There's also vast amounts of documentation available in the BIS wiki, but people just don't bother to look.

Comment

its not just the tools though. Its a little insight as to what can be achieved with them. as opposed to scouring the interwebs. Have like a pod cast that talks about different aspects and different things you can do

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Fincuan View Post
                              Dev tools anyone? Free and completely extra on top of the game. Without the dev tools and mods the game would probably have very little in terms of community, see for example OFP: DR. There's also vast amounts of documentation available in the BIS wiki, but people just don't bother to look.

Well, that is true, the wiki is very good for most scripting. I will give BIS that. HOWEVER, I mean, have you tried to work with dialogs? I can't find any simple source of information that talks about creating and populating list boxes. I mean, it would even be nice if they included a little tool to make dialogs.

<pulls own string>
                              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X