VTS3 - Live Multiplayer coop mission editor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VTS3 - Live Multiplayer coop mission editor

Just wanting to give this known to you guys, we had this back in arma1 and it's a great mission to have in the servers. It wasn't used very much back then, but hopefully it will change in arma2, and the best news is that there is a version of it for the newly add Panthera island.

VTS 3 alpha is out (from Grimm's original work (vts2))

VTS allow the Game master to create multiplayer cooperative missions in real time (players connected). with a lot of short cuts to make it quickly

Sample Mission(Create a mission in 3 Mn) alpha 7
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0fTJN4w03M[/media]

Sample Mission(Create a mission in 3 Mn) alpha 5
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSE36vT11g[/media]

3D placement on building sample
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMC3Zz4vCE[/media]
    Co25_VTS3_LiveEditor_Alpha8d.Panthera2.pbo

Co25_VTS3_LiveEditor_Alpha8d.Chernarus.pbo

Original post at BI forums: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83997

EDIT: Dam! I forgot to ask... can we have this in the server, pretty please?

EDIT2: Hmm... I forgot to tell those that don't know the mission, it allows to create missions in real time, like a 3d editor, inside the server while actually playing the mission! Pretty confusing isn't? But it's great!
    Last edited by Jorge.PT; 12-17-2009, 02:01 PM.
    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Re: VTS3 - Live Multiplayer coop mission editor

The only problem is that who is going to make the missions in game? you have to have someone designated that you can trust wont go crazy with it. Also does it make it to where you can do this with all the missions on the server or just set ones?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I don't know if the TG sync includes them now, but the MCC missions by 6th Sense are similar. With those, you can create a pretty enjoyable impromptu mission in a few minutes, as well as save the created profile out such that you can reload the mission in the future simply by copying the mission text to the clipboard and pasting it into the mission where prompted.

MCC can be found here.

The main problem is simply having someone in control of mission creation who isn't going to do something really... well, undesired. ;)

Comment

it does sound promising and would take a sliver of the load of the dev team as far as cranking out new missions every week. maybe you and the admins can have a sit and hash it out session?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Dredge what you basic do is start the mission as any other and when you are in the roster screen someone needs to take the "Game Master" position. Once you start it, the "Game Master" is able to place a objective, dictate the size of the general area where the enemies will be, the size of the force, etc; and you even have the ability to place specific vehicles and AI where you want, using a 3D editor. All this in real time, during the actual mission itself.

Everyone can do the "game master" role, why don't you just try the mission? Simply create a new server in the multiplayer loby and test it. I think you can even test it in SP.

@Dslyecxi: That MCC seems pretty interesting, and as the big plus of working with all the islands. Any other differences besides the ability to save the missions? Are you able to define multiple objectives?
          Last edited by Jorge.PT; 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM. Reason: Added some info and corrected some sentences to make more sense.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
            @Dslyecxi: That MCC seems pretty interesting, and as the big plus of working with all the islands. Any other differences besides the ability to save the missions? Are you able to define multiple objectives?
            I haven't used the one you posted since ArmA times, and I don't remember a whole lot about it. I can sum up MCC pretty easily, though, so here goes.

MCC is set up via zones - think of how DAC works, where you define an area and it's populated with x-many groups and such who patrol around the area. It's like a realtime version of that. You have 17 zones to work with, and you can define them to be any size - from 10x10m up to 2600x2600m (or thereabouts). Once you've made a zone, you can define the behavior of enemies within it - whether they will aggressively attack out of the zone, act defensive within it, and something else I can't recall off the top of my head. After that, you can spawn in groups or individual units. ie, an MG team of insurgents, plus a sniper team, and then throw a technical on top. It will position these groups randomly within the defined zone and give them orders appropriate to whatever the zone was configured as - ie, patrolling.

It allows you to put in dynamic object compositions, which appear to have standard "accompanying forces". For instance, you could make a guerrilla "base" and it'd have various structures appropriate to a base, with infantry and such "manning" it and patroling. There are a lot of different DynO objects to choose from, so you can build up random bases in a fairly straightforward fashion.

You can toggle whether vehicles are populated or not - this allows you to create on-the-fly vehicle sets to use within your group, for instance. Ammo crates/weapon crates are another option.

That's the basic idea, anyhow. Keep in mind that I've only used it about 5-10 times so far and am not an expert on the finer details of it. I do enjoy it, however, and plan to keep using it for various things.

We were playing around with MCC a few days ago, ended up with about 20 people in a quickie mission made with it. Very simple one - consisted of three zones (start, and two zones in a city), and I'd populated them with ~100 AI units (infantry and technicals) in about four or five minutes. We geared up and attacked into the city after a few minutes and ended up having a 30-40 minute running firefight through this urban area. It was a ton of fun and was very simple to set up. I don't see it replacing traditional missions, but I do find it to be alot of fun for impromptu gatherings, concept development/prototyping, etc.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Comment

@Jorge

Is there away to password the Game Master part of it? I/E only mission devs/admin/trustees can use it? I see alot of missions going way south because the guy at the helm thinks its funny to put 4 tanks behind the blufor when they are assaulting the town. thats my biggest fear about the whole thing.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

No, dredge I don't think there is. I see this mission as good one to play as the server population grows, because you can start it with one guy and scale the difficulty from there.

@Dslyecxi: Thanks, I'll give it try and explore that mission.
                sigpic

Comment

This can also be a great way for training. For example, an experienced Game Master could put something unexpected while players are on a patrol to see their reaction. Or better yet, if the Game Master notices players being careless by walking on the road instead of the sidewalk, he could easily spawn a vehicle and make it go at full speed to teach the players how situational awareness is important. Just a little thought of how this can be used.

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

maybe we can just start using it for the TGU Infantry courses instead of main server missions?

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X