ACE 2 - Cargo lifting with RAVLIFTER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACE 2 - Cargo lifting with RAVLIFTER

One of the latest versions of ACE added the RAVLIFTER module. This allows you to airlift, among other things, vehicles and ammo crates.

Originally posted by RAVLIFTER description
    LIFTER is a set of scripts that manages the transport of external loads using lifting slings or ropes attached to helicopters.

To ensure efficient and credible relationship between the weight and load forces and the helicopter, a comparison is made between their volumes.

With this information, it applies an algorithm which determines whether the helicopter is able to lift the load or not.

This process determines, for example, that an AH‐6 could never lift a UAZ, or a UH‐60 could not lift a truck URAL type or a CH‐47 could not lift a M1A1. But a AH‐6 can lift ammunition boxes and water or fuel barrels or motorcycles, or that a UH‐60 could easily lift a HMMWV or M119 type or a CH‐47 could carry a LAV‐25 or an electric generator or a MTVR truck.

But the objects that can be transported are not limited to vehicles, but any object that is supported by the volumetric calculation routine, making possible to carry: concrete blocks, brick packs, fuel tanks, containers transported by ships and any object or vehicle which is in the field and meets the selection criteria to be used by that specific helicopter.
    As you can read above it makes sure you won't see Little Birds airlifting Strykers. Now, on to setup and usage.

Add the "ELEVADOR AEREO DE CARGA" module to your mission in the editor, and a helicopter. In this shot I synced it with the chopper because I couldn't get it to work at first, but according to the readme that's not necessary.

When ingame you get the option to "Deploy cargo ropes". You have to do this before attempting to sling anything.

After deploying the ropes, you get a little cargoscope to tell you where the load is in relation to the slings.

Once you are above the object to lift, you get a "Lift up OBJECT" option. This is relative to the 3D model of the object to pick up, not any magical bounding box or anything, so you can imagine I had a hell of a time getting the rope above the tiny US Ordnance box. But it's not impossible.

Lift away. This doesn't seem to be quite finished, as the sling for the ammo boxes is untextured - but it works.

Once you have it up (hee hee) you get the option to "Let down OBJECT" when sufficiently close to the ground, and at all other times the "Emergency release" option.

When emergency releasing something the slings go with it, so to lift another object you need to land and the slings need to be replaced by someone standing outside the helicopter.

It is also possible to lift vehicles. They must not be crewed before being lifted.

Dropping things has predictable results.

This should be very useful for some larger scale missions where, as the AO moves farther from the FOB, resupplying becomes more and more of a pain. You can just move the point up as the battle progresses, saving the grunts from carrying their gear all the way to the frontline.

The description for this says the lifting is done client-side; I'm not sure if this means it's completely MP-incompatible, or only the computer doing the lifting sees it, or something else. Will have to test further.
    Last edited by cctoide; 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM.

Re: ACE 2 - Cargo lifting with RAVLIFTER

Now that looks neat! Quite awesome resupplying the front lines with new Humvees that respawn in base after the ones they have are destroyed, and stuff like that!

Comment

You actually don't have to reattach the ropes unless you use the emergency release, at least you didn't in my test with the mi-17. If you hover and are low enough you can use the standard release and you don't have to land and re-attach.

Comment

Ah, that makes more sense. Fixed the OP.

Comment

and this is a client side thing right? if so i would like to see it in a few large scale missions. Might add a new element we havent seen to much around here.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

looks interesting

Comment

*seems* to not work in MP.

May cause crashes.
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

This system would be very nice to be included in some of the larger-scale missions.
                Does this module affect the flight performance of an helo in relation to the weight being transported or is it more like the script running on Domination, where the helo flies normally?
                sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

I think it reduces speed of the heli, but other than that no.

Comment

1. Get a pick pallet of Comp B

2. Fly really fast towards something

3. Pull up hard

4. Hammer on the emergency release

5. Remote detonate your Comp B

I give you - Sling load darts!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                      1. Get a pick pallet of Comp B

2. Fly really fast towards something

3. Pull up hard

4. Hammer on the emergency release

5. Remote detonate your Comp B

I give you - Sling load darts!
                      You've been watching these two guys* as well? :D

*from 10:10 to 11:23
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't seem to have this module O_o theres only 'Disable Sling Lift' and thats the only thing related to any airlift I can see. I DLed Ace 2 on 4/27/10

Comment

Ravlifter is long gone, it's now a default feature of ACE2 and works over the network. A person must go and attach sling ropes to the vehicle to be loaded, and then a helicopter must hover over the vehicle until they get the action to "hook ropes" or something similar. I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by cctoide View Post
                            Ravlifter is long gone, it's now a default feature of ACE2 and works over the network. A person must go and attach sling ropes to the vehicle to be loaded, and then a helicopter must hover over the vehicle until they get the action to "hook ropes" or something similar. I haven't had the chance to test it yet.
                            From what I have read apparently the system does not work too well: in theory the helo should hover at around 7m above the object, while in practice it might have to hover at less than 2m before the guy on the ground can attach the cargo to the helicopter, and after that the pilot does not always have the option to release the cargo, thus not only making this process a bit too complicated but potentially useless if the script breaks. The ACE team is currently working on this issue, along with the others, but at the moment this new load system is not very reliable, according to various sources.
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...