SP Mission Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP Mission Tips

I'm interested in creating some SP missions where you are not taking a leadership role, but play a basic grunt in a larger battle. I want to make the AI behave somewhat convincingly.

The main thing I'm trying to achieve right now is to get the AI to approach a suspected enemy position carefully, scout the position, use stealth to set up for an ambush, and then attack. Bonus points if I can get the AI leader to give each team member an enemy target to focus on before opening fire. There are two things about this I'm finding difficult:

1) When I set a waypoint in the editor which looks like a good position to scout from, it often doesn't work so well during mission play. If obstacles like trees, elevations, or other objects obscure the AI view at all, the AI isn't very good at adjusting so that it can get a good view of the area I want them to scout. Does anyone have any tips on making this better? I'm trying to use doWatch on a marker position to see if that helps the AI behavior, but I keep getting a "missing ;" error in the editor when I use a doWatch command as part of a waypoint action.

2) I'd like to add some randomness to the mission, so some suspected enemy positions will be clear. But I still want the AI to go through the motions of safely scouting the position before moving on to the next waypoint. What is the best way to do this? If I use a "Sentry" waypoint, the AI just sits there and never moves on. Do I need to use a HOLD waypoint and just set a timer on it?

Any other tips or tricks that anyone can suggest to make the AI a better leader would be appreciated.

Re: SP Mission Tips

Ahhhh crap, I thought I was in the "Missions & Mods Development" forum, not this one. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Comment

Ok, well I've figured out #2, the solution is to use a MOVE waypoint with a timer.

Comment

put down a leader unit. Name it leader1. Set its probability of presence to 25%.

Put down other units in his group, set their condition of presence to alive leader1.

Result: an entire group that only spawns 25% of the time.

Other simple ways to randomize or create seemingly intelligent AI behaviors:

Set a placement radius around waypoints.

Synchronize triggers to waypoints. For example you can make a WP 1 - WP 2 - WP 3 patrol with a cycle waypoint on the end. The group will patrol from WP1 to WP3 over and over, and if you combine it with above (placement radius for the waypoints) it can seem like a seemingly intelligent search/patrol pattern. Then, synchronize a blufor present or blufor detected by opfor trigger to the cycle waypoint. Put additional waypoints after it. Now those waypoints after the cycle waypoint will only become active once the trigger has become active, and the group will drop whatever its doing and take up the new waypoint orders. You can use this simple operation to create AI "contingencies" or "plans" of action.

Consider playing around with something like UPSMON.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X