HALP! Where am I?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HALP! Where am I?!

Thread concept: every so often, I will post a series of images from one of our maps, give a little insight, and ask you to figure out your grid ref. I wholly encourage active discussion, including but not limited to:
    • General methods you use to find your location
    • Important objects of note
    • Ways to read terrain
    • If you needed more info, how to find it
    • Ways to read distance

Thread rules: do not post your answers or give obvious hints. Write your answers down or just remember them. I will post the answer first thing with the next round of pictures. An obvious hint would be: "it's within 300m of Staroye". Well, unless you walked up to a sign, you couldn't know that from the images, so keep it to "there's an ocean to the east," and things of that nature please.

Thread goals: to promote better orienteering skills. Not every mission lets you see your current position, and sometimes you'll find yourself disconnected from your squad (or they're all dead). Hopefully, this will also show that non-combat challenges found in ArmA are actually fun in themselves, and we can maybe stop 'cheating' all the time and take the extra little difficulties with ease and pleasure. Plus, it's a fun little game :D

I will be very active on this first round to help plant the seeds of good discussion, but will try to back off later on.

Re: HALP! Where am I?!

[Note: I use the @instantviewdistance mod and set the distance to 3400m. Some of you might not be able to play at that distance regularly, but it's a good idea to have the option around for when you need to orienteer and don't need 30FPS+. You can switch back to a lower distance after you've found yourself.]

It is a bitterly cold day in Chernarus, and a biting wind blows autumn in from the west. The air is thin with anticipation for the coming storm, and a light drizzle begins to fall. It is early afternoon, but the sun is lost behind the clouds, and we are lost ourselves in the endless forests and hills of this tumbling landscape. The CO's voice is heard on the radio:
    "Hotel India won two, this is big papa, request locstat already, over."
    Our reply:
    "hotel india won two, grid... break..."
    ****, where are we anyway? Well, lets look around. We are at a crossroads in the hills, we know that. A T-intersection. First, we look southeast, bearing 123.

From this we can tell that the road that dead ends at the intersection leads 123 downhill to a structure about 50-100m away on the eastern side. The terrain falls away, and then picks up again into a peak, then falling finally into the distant ocean. The road is neither an MSR or an ASR but a dirt path also. No need to look for yellow lines on the map.

Now, we look west at 220.

A town is to the south of the road. The road curves up to the north a bit beyond the tree. The road that is intersected runs WSW to ENE. The town is small. The terrain flattens a bit here, then jumps upward at a good clip to a wooded ridge to our west and north. Lets look NW:

Oh! Power lines running perpendicular to our bearing. This means there should be a line of some sort on the map running SW-NE. This will be very helpful. We can also see that we're not far from the ridge, only a couple hundred meters at least, and there is open terrain between us and the lines. Open terrain, and a good bit of it around here, we should look for fairly non-green and clear areas on the map.

Lets move 50-100m down that first road to our SE. Here's the first view back from where we came:

Not much we didn't know before: fairly open terrain, some dirt roads, power lines, a ridge and some trees on it. Looks like the small town is completely contained in the SE shadow of that ridge/peak.

Hm, hay bales and the landscape rolls down and back up maybe 800-1000m away. Vegetation is mixed out there, and the hills vaguely run NW to SE here. That's somewhat perpendicular to the direction of that power line.

Last clue: another T-intersection! Another dirt path! Looks like we're between two T-intersections on a maybe 300m long short road. Another peak almost right in line with the intersection. After the second road, the terrain falls off even more steeply. We walked downhill to get here, too, so we know the hill falls off somewhat in the direction we're looking.

Lets look at our map. We know we're not more than about 2km from the east coast. We know the village is large enough to be named on the map. We know it has a power line running near it. There are only two power lines on the eastern coast, one runs from Solnichniy to Elektrozavodsk, the other north of Berezino. We are clearly not near Berezino since the lines run pretty much W-E through the area immediately off the coast. Now it's just a matter of following the first set of lines around to find where it comes near a town in the hills in an open area. Once we find the town, time to find our exact location given the intersections and buildings. Since this is the first installment, I will show the area now:

Looks like there are two roads that run NW-SE and dead end at two T-intersections. But it's pretty clear which ours is since all the town is to our west and there's a single building on the NE side of the road below us...

Okay, here goes:
    "hotel india won two, grid 1145-0984 , over!"

Comment

First real round:

Mid-summer on Chernarus, and man am I glad the sun's setting finally! What a terribly hot and humid day to be trudging around the back country, stumbling through thorns and thickets in the forests. We followed our instructions and headed due SW through the last forest, but we were supposed to come out into a large town and our humvee. What is this, there's nothing but a road and a couple houses! Uh oh. The sun is setting, and the last thing we want is to lost outside in the dark... this is a WAC and we don't have any NVGs! We're in for it, and those ruskies are going to make quick work of us if we don't get a pick up soon... Lets take a quick look around:

Lets move SW 50m...

Lets move SE 50m...

Crackers, this isn't quite as easy as last time...

But I think I've got it:
      "big papa, hotel india won two, locstat, over."
      "big papa, send it."
      "hotel india won two, grid __________, over."

Comment

David I like this idea might be fun but we have a tactics discussing section we are trying to promote more, let move these things there also check out the stickies there, see if anything can be updated. Also there is some good info there.

Comment

First image: man-made structure on a steep hill in the distance immediately pops into view. Looks like a ruined castle or medieval watchtower. There aren't that many of those in Chernarus.

We're looking SW, and there's an asphalt road with a shack and a fence running perpendicular to our bearing. Since we're looking almost directly SW, I'm looking for a yellow or light yellow road running NW-SE with a small shack directly NE of a large hill with a monument symbol on it. We're on a hill sloping to the SW.

Castle ruins I know of in Chernarus... there's Black Mountain, and Devil's Castle. Both of these are in the NE of the country. A quick look at the map reveals no paved roads running NW-SE NE of those landmarks. Let's look at the rest of the map. Could we be in the west? Maybe Pogorevka or Rogovo? No, the building on Green Mountain, 093037, is a large broadcast tower, not a castle. Hmm... there's another castle, in Zub, 097065. Check NE... one major road, no shack... another... there's a shack there. The map even seems to show a fence. It's slightly north of where I'd expect it, but it's in the right spot. The hill slope is right. Forest to our north and NE, a few lines of trees to our NW. That's it, we're at 080080.

I first got a taste of how fun orienteering can be in this game while testing out Scope's Wookiee School mission. You start at one of maybe six possible spawn points, but you don't know which one. Using the ocean and tree cover patterns for reference I was able to figure out where I was and navigate to a favorable sniping position. I could hear the other sniper element on my team talking over VON and getting progressively more confused until eventually I realized they had wandered off far to the north and were convinced their compass was broken. This was on Podagorsk, though, which is slightly easier to navigate than Chernarus. It's indeed quite fun and this is the only game I know of where it's even possible.

There's also this CSAR mission I'm working on which I keep harping on about... if you're playing the downed pilot, orienteering will make survival and being rescued much more likely, as you start out deep in enemy territory with no idea where you are. It might even prove to be harder than Chernarus, as it's on Celle, a map with very little elevation which reduces the amount of land, and consequently landmarks, you can see from a given point.

Comment

Don't give answers, please! Give other posters a chance to find it for themselves.

But, sir, you are correct. I moved around a bit, so an exact location is hard to get, but that's about as close as possible.

Oh, and there will be some Celle ones...

That said, good job finding the spot. I realize now that the images get automatically downsized and a lot of detail is lost, which makes this all the harder. But you did well finding one or two significant landmarks even in this fairly bland offering, one of which was rare enough to help you find yourself. Figuring out the distance to the castle would have been pretty useful also, but at such a small resolution perhaps difficult.

Comment

Oh, sorry, I missed that part in the first post. I had entertained the idea of making a (non-combat) mission for the off-hours where the best navigator wins, I might have a try at it once I'm done with the current one.

Also, good point about the distance measuring approach, though if I had to rely on that I'd be dead meat. I've always been terrible at judging distances, especially in games. What looks like five meters ingame to me actually turns out to be fifteen, and sometimes the other way around. Made it pretty annoying when we lost the magic spacebar rangefinder with ACE2. It's true the ArmA map could do with a ruler, though... counting squares in the heat of battle is tricky.

Comment

Map plus tools imo ;)

Comment

Oh come on everyone....At least 30 of you took our Navigation course. You shouldn't have a problem with this.

Which by the way, we'll be having another coming up soon.

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                  Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

I did take the Nav course, and I did work on this to the point where I had a roughly correct location, but then the answer was publically posted, which sorta kills the challenge :)

Waiting for the next one...
                    |TG-18th| Cutter

Long-time Gamer - ArmA 2 Noob - Certified Old Fart

Comment

Mayday! It's May 1st, and spring is in full force in Charnarus. The fields are flowering, and off in the distance a pastor watches over his herd. What a beautiful afternoon for a stroll! Except... we're not supposed to be strolling, there's a war going on for christ's sake. Still, it's so serene, maybe the war can wait... just sit down for a second and listen to the cicadas and sparrows... no, time to get going. But first, we need to know where to go. And to get there, we need to know where we are. Lets take a look around:

Not a lot to go on... this might take a while. At least it's a nice day for some geography lessons.

Comment

OK, pretty sure I've got this one! Thanks for the challenge :)
                        |TG-18th| Cutter

Comment

Feel free to PM me questions or proposed answers if you like, too.

Toyguy, was there a key landmark or image that helped you more than anything else?

Comment

I played too much ArmA.
                            Just by seeing the first and last screenshot I have a reasonably good idea of where I could be. I'll have to verify that first, though. :row__583:
                            Nice idea for the thread, btw. I can't believe I missed it. :p
                            sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              Toyguy, was there a key landmark or image that helped you more than anything else?
                              Yes, the shots facing North and West were the keys for me - of course, this is assuming I have it worked out right. I'll PM you the location!
                              |TG-18th| Cutter

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X