Artillery Tactics ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery Tactics ?

Since i look forward (kinda) to commanding in the future and ive grasped a few basic tactics but one i just cant seem to grasp is artillery.

Ive (skim)read a manual on artillery but the language is too difficult for my civillian mind so i wish to ask a question(yet again)

Are the tactics in WW1 still valid like creeping barages and the sort

thanks in advance
    To talk to me or just hurl Abuse my way get me on Xfire:Hashass1n

I can't read, can't write, can't be an officer -NCO of the Vistula Uhlans Jan Pawlikowski

Mute since the universe began

Re: Artillery Tactics ?

yes and no. creeping barages only work if large amounts of enemy troops or armor are in close together. Given that most vehicles and troops can move about the battlfield at a fast pace this limits the amount of damage if any a barage like that could inflict. for todays standard its about point accuracy. being able to hit a VW bug on the roof from 6 miles away. So, for our use here in arma you would need a good mix of the two. Point accuracy for buildings, bunkers and clusters of troops, then barages spread at entervals to decimate larger areas of the battlespace. As far as armour you only hope with that is if its a lucky shot or the vehicle is immobile.

So, most of the arty that I have called has always been point accurate arty comprised of several rounds and spread over a small area. I/E 3 rounds HE on Fire Point 1 100 meter dispertion. So, inside fire point 1 every 100 meters 1 round will fall. This is usually your best bet. Unless you are working with white phospherous which in that case you can do a huge creeping barage to eliminate infanty but you would leave the armor untouched.

Hope that helps a bit. if you have any more questions please ask them :D I love talking strateegary

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
      for todays standard its about point accuracy. being able to hit a VW bug on the roof from 6 miles away.
      I'll just add that for this reason the US Army and USMC have dedicated Fire Support Vehicles (the M7A3 Bradley B-FIST, the M1131 Stryker FSV and HMMWVs equipped with the F3 sensor) that, in conjunction with a well trained artillery crew and good meteo conditions can put rounds with extreme accuracy, and when using dedicated ammunition (like the ultra-expensive M712 Copperhead) can achieve a first shot hit.
      sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Unless you are working with white phospherous which in that case you can do a huge creeping barage to eliminate infanty but you would leave the armor untouched.

EDIT: not technically illegal, but I would encourage people not to use it in this way.

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
          Which is illegal by the way.
          So is half the things I do when I have been drinking :D

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I double checked wiki and came back unconvinced it was "in the arsenal" for use not on infantry. So I will error on the side of Political correctness instead of geneva.

It should be illegal. Like using mustard gas.

Comment

It's a game, who cares if it causes the AI unbearable amounts of pain?

Comment

Thanks dredge guess ive been watching too many films with lots of stuff blowing up and explosions plus i cant shake the idea of WW1 arty
                but gladly most missions dont use artillery so ill be fine for now.
                To talk to me or just hurl Abuse my way get me on Xfire:Hashass1n

I can't read, can't write, can't be an officer -NCO of the Vistula Uhlans Jan Pawlikowski

Mute since the universe began

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
                  I double checked wiki and came back unconvinced it was "in the arsenal" for use not on infantry. So I will error on the side of Political correctness instead of geneva.

It should be illegal. Like using mustard gas.
                  The WP rounds don't do anything anyways other than give a couple scratches to the AI. You can test this out for yourself, fire off some WP rounds straight up and run to where they land. You won't die no matter what.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                  In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Pistolfied View Post
                    The WP rounds don't do anything anyways other than give a couple scratches to the AI. You can test this out for yourself, fire off some WP rounds straight up and run to where they land. You won't die no matter what.
                    Yeah, but it still looks cool. And, sounds great when you call it up :D

"NEED WHILLY PETE IN THE TREE LINE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

That's why I always carry some M34 with me if possible: for such small grenades, they make so much smoke that it looks like a house is burning down.
                      Oh, and they are useful too. :icon_bigg
                      sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

I just really hope you don't call it up like that, I'd ignore it :P

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
                        Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

I use WP instead of smoke too. It's just so much better.

Comment

Hash, hit me up on Teamspeak sometime and I'll put together a mission or get some guys to show you how everything is supposed to work. As for the reports and returns on it, I will get you squared away on it to the point you will never want to play as anything but a Forward Observer. :)

Pro Patria

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X