Scripting Help file?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripting Help file?

I'd really like to get started on trying to build some missions for OA but run out of patience with the clunky editor. I'm sure it's dead easy but all the help I'm finding either leaves scripting out or is a html list of scripting commands.

Has anyone written a searchable help file for scripting commands. Any help in the basics would be appreciated. I never know when I will have time to do this but it happens when it happens....and then I putter around in the editor then load up the command referance then an hour later...have nothing but commands to use I don't need.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: Scripting Help file?

This may help, Mr Murray's ARMA Scripting Guide - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

Comment

Unk, you might find it helps to work with a well-documented mission making framework like F2:
      http://www.ferstaberinde.com/f2/en/

The manual pages, coupled with lots of comments in the scripts themselves, should help you understand how each script works. Nothing like context for understanding function - and with the added bonus that, using F2, you'll be able to put together missions very quickly.

Comment

Well editing for this game is hard. Not so much because it is hard, but because of poor user interface and usability design on part of the editor and the mission design process it uses. Also because of the poor documentation on it and the scripting engine. In order to get proficient you'll have to accept that your going to need to do a lot of reading. And its going to probably take a few months, honestly, to get good at scripting. Your not going to be up and designing awesome mission in a week, or two, or a month, or two. Its going to take awhile and making a lot of scripts and missions. Sorry to bring the bad news, but that's the reality. Those of us who are more advanced editors and scriptors when through this learning curve in our spare time. You can shorten the process by reading everything you can and doing little practice scripts to make sure you understand what you read. Try to avoid the 'trial and error" process because it will waste MOUNTAINS OF TIME AND ENERGY.

Murry's guide is a good Start, Fer's stuff will help. But you should spend time reading EVERYTHING you can on the Official BI editing wiki. That's the only way your going to understand the game engine, the editor interface and scripting.

You can also read stuff on community websites and the official BI forums.. but becareful, there is as much bad advice and disinformation on some of those websites as there is helpful information.

Why do it yourself when you can steal? What? Hell yeah dude! Get a pbo extractor and crack open other people's missions that you like. When you see something that somebody is doing in a mission, and you like it, and it works.. go look at it to understand it or copy it. There is no copyright laws for this stuff. Feel free to look, use , modify any of my missions or scripts.

Some important pages...

Main Page
        http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page

Editing Topics
        http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/C...ripting_Topics

Scripting Command List
        http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/C...pting_Commands
        Last edited by GeneralCarver; 11-30-2010, 01:26 PM.
        Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Three replies & all three have helped very much. Thanks!

I think your bang on Carver. What I need is to understand the nut & bolts of this scripting language. How the basic syntax works, what info passes from different scripts, what functions pull data from the game. What scripting language is this...I'm guessing a BIS product? Seems very C++ for what little I know of that. (I've gotten to Hello World in a few books but loose interest when the furthest they will go doesn't utilize GUI). I'll have to start kicking the printer till it works again, then get my read on.

I got so frustrated trying to make the mine script from the Mr. Murray guide work. Dang thing won't blow up but the trigger will play a tune. Have a nice little fire fight set up at a roadblock but the mines are essential to have.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

From my experience, and bear in mind I just couldn't follow the Murray guide for all the gobledygook english (Not hatin' on the guy, but the way he explains things results in me re reading repeatedly to try and get out the mistakes and surface with the point.), scripting and running a mission is 50% knowing how you're going to do something, then another 50% repeatedly trying things out, amending and redoing etc etc. Amount of times I've done something 'by the book' to fail, then later made a few 'modifications' or changed how it happens to see it work is funny. Maybe just misinformation, but meh?

That having been said, I've only one mission up which is ye olde and outdated and frankly made at a time I was still pretty pants with the editor and just scraping by. Therefore I don't think it's a very good one. So grain of salt, yes?

Oh - random q - Trying to get Arty to properly target an Invisible H and fire at it - they seem to turn to the general direction of the H and fire, but god knows where the round lands cause it ain't anywhere near the target

Can't remember how it goes, but script looks something like this

Artygun target artyop1; Artygun weapon M119; Artygun fire M119;

wether M119 needs " 's or not I can't remember off the top of my head or that, but point in case they turn and fire allright. stacking more than one with a delay between firing doesn't seem to work either, i.e. have it wait for 60 / 1 min, then fire again doesn't result in the arty gun firing.

Should I add a delay between targetting and firing - just struck me it may be still turning to target the invis H ;p

Oh - I checked it was in firing range manually, so that's not an issue.

Sure, I could just to spawn a shell or something x high off the ground and let it drop instead, but I felt like adding a bit more realism to it.

Hey - another - The commonly used Spectator script - decided to give it a whirl, Kost somethings script - but on running the script getting a 'toolbar / scrollbar' or well, some kind of bar not found error, interface thereafter becomes pretty bugged out and can't hit escape or the likes to jump out - anyone run across this issue? Added to mission as per instructions etc, just a file in the actual script folder that seems to be missing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X