Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balance of power!!!!!

Hello!

Im currently working on my first mission (its sooooo long haha) , now that i figured out some of the stuff we can do , im now facing a big problem : how do i know im not putting to much opfor , how can i evaluate realistically if the balance of power is fair. Of course the human variable make this very difficult but on average, do you guys use some kind of ratio (lets say for every 1 player, 5 bad guys max at the same time) how you just go with the flow. I taught about asking people to test it but you basicly burn your mission since the community is very small here.

your taught?

thanks!
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Re: balance of power!!!!!

I always seem to make my missions kinda hard. Its just something you have to try and then change if it doesn't work out. Generally I try to put 3-4 enemy infantry per friendly infantry each square kilometer. Of course adding in friendly and enemy assets makes it even more difficult to figure out as a good jet pilot might kill all the enemy and leave the infantry bored but a bad one might not kill anything and the infantry will get owned. In the end you just have to pick an amount that looks right and hope for the best. Unless someone else wants to enlighten me with a better method.

Comment

hmmm... could you write up a trigger that would spawn extra troops if the initial spawn is taken out quickly after first contact, but not spawn them if it takes too long to take them down? If possible that would give you the best of both worlds.

Comment

Experience from my lack lustre mission making days...
        I've learned to use the terrain to maximise the favour to the OPFOR.
        Simply due to the sheer complexities involved that are directly related to how much a server can handle.

Best suggestion is for you to start making small missions then gradually making them bigger and bigger with assets along with it.

Player to AI ratio? 3 to 1, 5 to 1. Depends on mission type.
        Concerned with air superiority? Place MANPADS, ZSUs, No fly zone with kill trigger.
        Scripts to spawn units? Look around the main BIS forum. It's there trust me. I've looked.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

thanks for you replies guys, im almost done :D

Lowspeed, from your experience, what kind of stuff can make a server lag? Too many objects? triggers?

It was the biggest issue for me during the last Milsim , it was extra laggy for no good reason (warping alot). I want to avoid that as much as possible. Knowing myself, i like to put a lot of small details, objects ect. Could it cause my mission to be unplayable?
          sigpic

Comment

Server lag? many factors but I'm certain other Admins can tell you in more detail. But from what I know so far; it could be anything from placing too many AIs with waypoints, placing too many unnecessary objects, and the killer of all are the scripts that are not made properly. Constantly looping and taking up resources etc. It also could be client side as well. Maybe packet losses on your end to some type of firewall not allowing up the bandwidth for the game. Again, other admins can address this better. Impulse is a great guy to talk about this. He ran his own servers and has tons of experience with them.

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatomik View Post
              thanks for you replies guys, im almost done :D

Lowspeed, from your experience, what kind of stuff can make a server lag? Too many objects? triggers?

It was the biggest issue for me during the last Milsim , it was extra laggy for no good reason (warping alot). I want to avoid that as much as possible. Knowing myself, i like to put a lot of small details, objects ect. Could it cause my mission to be unplayable?
              The issue during the milsim even was fro to many ACE mines. It has been fixed AFAIK and a new version uploaded. Unless your mission has more than 30 slots or bad scripts you shouldn't have a problem with lag.

Comment

bad script? can you define bad script?
                sigpic

Comment

He means a script which doesn't work properly or is just very poorly written

Comment

i definitely need to learn more about this, as it might be an issue.
                    sigpic

Comment

If you are sure your script is working, pastbin it up here and I'm sure someone will have a look at it. (Possibly me, but if its working I probably won't be of much help optimising ;p )

Comment

Originally posted by Jacezz View Post
                        He means a script which doesn't work properly or is just very poorly written
                        What he said.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X