Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Count civilian deaths ... if too many end mission trigger help needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Count civilian deaths ... if too many end mission trigger help needed!

I am working on a mission where if too many civilians are killed I need the mission to end .. there was a thread between Scope and CCtide I have done my homework ... but the counter isn't working in multiplayer. It works in single player .. it works in multiplayer if I host it and test it .. but when I post it on a dedicated server .. the trigger will not fire.

I am at wits end ....have spent last two weeks working on this trigger to no avail. Mission uses F2 framework.

Does anyone know how to get such a trigger to work in multiplayer?

I can share pbo if necessary.
    "The unexamined life is not worth living". Socrates. "The unlived life is not worth examining". |TG| tiggr

Re: Count civilian deaths ... if too many end mission trigger help needed!

I'd just add an event handler to every civillian unit that on killed adds one to a variable, then do a trigger set to 'loose' that activates when that variable is greater than whatever number of deaths is acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacezz View Post
      I'd just add an event handler to every civillian unit that on killed adds one to a variable, then do a trigger set to 'loose' that activates when that variable is greater than whatever number of deaths is acceptable.
      I currently have such an event handler. It does not seem to work in multiplayer on a dedicated server. Meaning if I put the pbo on a server and play it .. and kill more than the specified number of civilians .. the mission does not end.

Realize I am relatively new at mission making ... and I may have an error but my error checker is showing no errors.

I know the game is noticing civilian deaths because the scoreboard shows negative scores of the right number of killed civilians.
      "The unexamined life is not worth living". Socrates. "The unlived life is not worth examining". |TG| tiggr

Comment

Sounds like a locality issue, the variable is being handled on the client machine rather than the server machine. Send me the pbo and meet me on TS and I can help you with it.

Comment

place a trigger which covers the map or the OA. Then set the activation to civ and in the statement in the trigger, get rid of the true part and replace it with:

count thislist < 5

of course replece the 5 with how many civs you want alive for the mission to end the mission.

Hope this works.

Comment

arg, Hawke beat me to it

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by Zonr_0 View Post
              Sounds like a locality issue, the variable is being handled on the client machine rather than the server machine. Send me the pbo and meet me on TS and I can help you with it.
              I sent you an IM with my email. I think I need to email you the pbo and thanks for the offer of help. Send me an email and I will send pbo for you to look at... it is a test pbo with the same features as the mission. I am using the test pbo to fix the problem then applying once I get it fixed to mission. Test takes about 5 minutes max to tell if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                place a trigger which covers the map or the OA. Then set the activation to civ and in the statement in the trigger, get rid of the true part and replace it with:

count thislist < 5

of course replece the 5 with how many civs you want alive for the mission to end the mission.

Hope this works.
                Will try that .. I think I tried this once before ... but it has been a while. Thanks for the help .. will let you know if it works ..

Comment

That would probably be the easiest solution I think, go ahead and try that first.

Comment

Zonr_0 and LowSpeedHighDrag and Hawke ... a follow up. Funny trigger ... works like this. I did as you suggested <3 expecting it to end on three remaining civilians ... works sort of ..I think we all forgot that animals count as civilians .. so if I kill all the animals and then kill all of the civilians but three the trigger fires and ends game. I am still going to test in on MP on a dedicated server just incase it works cause at least that would narrow the problem.

Laughed out loud though when I figured out that I had to kill all the sheep, the guard dog, and then all the local population .. pretty extreme ..even worse than just killing civilians ... thanks still working on it so suggestions still appreciated.

I think I will call this trigger the "I'll get you and your little dog, too!" trigger

Comment

Seriously guys. I am actually making progress on trigger with ideas from here .. don't give up on me. It is working everywhere but dedicated MP server.

Comment

My suggestion will not be so random but with the clever placement of the Civilians it would suffice.

Steps
                        1)Name the civilians that the trigger would detect (i.e. civ1, civ2, civ3, civ4, civ5)
                        2)Place a trigger on the map (activation "Civilian")
                        3)Replace "this"(On Activation box) : not alive civ1 && not alive civ2 && not alive civ3 && not alive civ4 && not alive civ5
                        4)Select the end trigger option (end #1, end#2, etc)
                        5)Place the "civ1", "civ2", "civ3","civ4", "civ5" where you'd want them to be
                        6)Optional:Adjust each of the named civilians probability presence to 50%
                        7)Place more civilians on the map/AO to fool the players from actual "civ#" civilians for end trigger.

End result would be, 50% presence for each named civilians placed (civ1,civ2, etc). For pseudo random effect.

Hope that worked

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

If you name your civillans "civ1", ect...

For the activation you can shorten it with something like:
                          {alive _x} count [civ1,civ2,civ3,civ4,civ5] < 4;

But I'm more partial to the randomness in Lowspeed's approach.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer
                          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                          189th Infantry Brigade Member
                          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                            My suggestion will not be so random but with the clever placement of the Civilians it would suffice.

Steps
                            1)Name the civilians that the trigger would detect (i.e. civ1, civ2, civ3, civ4, civ5)
                            2)Place a trigger on the map (activation "Civilian")
                            3)Replace "this"(On Activation box) : not alive civ1 && not alive civ2 && not alive civ3 && not alive civ4 && not alive civ5
                            4)Select the end trigger option (end #1, end#2, etc)
                            5)Place the "civ1", "civ2", "civ3","civ4", "civ5" where you'd want them to be
                            6)Optional:Adjust each of the named civilians probability presence to 50%
                            7)Place more civilians on the map/AO to fool the players from actual "civ#" civilians for end trigger.

End result would be, 50% presence for each named civilians placed (civ1,civ2, etc). For pseudo random effect.

Hope that worked
                            Thank you for the suggestion. I have two triggers like you suggest as back ups if the main trigger fails. So that if you kill the two females, since they are unarmed and cannot reasonably be mistaken for insurgent threats... the mission ends with a Rules of Engagement violation. Similarly, there are key figures, mayor, Iman, local doctor who are unarmed. If you kill them, the mission ends for Rules of engagement violation. These triggers do work in multiplayer on a dedicated server. But they are back ups only and as you indicate somewhat statistically unreliable in their operation.

My problem is the actual civilian trigger and counter .. which is the holy grail it seems .. there are numerous threads across the ARMA 2 communities that mention it and give apparently useful solutions .. I have found perhaps 10 ways to trigger it in all but dedicated server situations. I am not sure of what use this is since we mostly play on dedicated servers.

Anyway, thanks for the look an suggestion. I am still working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post

count thislist < 5

Hope this works.
                              Hawke and LowSpeed,

A follow up .. this trigger actually works .. sort of. Other than the "I'll get you and your little dog too aspect (which I actually think is OK, it also for some reason depending on the order somehow if you kill a mix of civilian peoples and civilian animals freezes the mission and locks it up .. can't figure out why. If you kill all animals .. it fires .. if you kill all people .. it "usually" fires.. if you mix mission freezes and you have to abort. When you see score .. only people will be counted (curious game ). Anyway, I wanted you to know I did actually try it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X