Operation Medusa mission idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Medusa mission idea

I've been kicking around the idea of a mission based on Operation Medusa, which took place in southern Afghanistan Sept. 2-17, 2006.

Background: Southern Afghanistan was falling back under Taliban control, and ISAF launched a series of operations to push the Taliban back and maintain control of Kandahar. The battle was focused a city outside of Kandahar, Panjwaii.

ISAF sent a large mechanized force, consisting mostly of the Royal Canadian Regiment to attack the enemy stronghold, while an American Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha (ODA) and their Afghan National Army (ANA) contingent maneuvered into a blocking position south of the city. When the Canadian assault went badly, the ODA and their Afghan troops shifted to the attack, attempting to take a dominant terrain feature (a low slung hill) that gave a commanding position over the southern half of the valley. Unfortunately, this hill was the center of the Taliban presence in the area, filled with hundreds, possible thousands of fighters and several Taliban commanders, along with severeal large caches of weapons and ammo.

I heard Black Python was looking into an aircraft-less version of Domination, and thought this mission might work as a template, since it is largely ground based, with the mechanized Canadian force, and motorized (GMVs + technicals) SF ODA and ANA force. Primary fire support is provided by a howitzer battery, with possibly an airstrike call-in script on a long timer (60 minutes).

After talking to BP and JB, both seemed to think it would be better as a straight up mission or multi-part mission. I'm looking for feedback if you think this is something worth developing, suggestions for which map to stage it on (CLAfghan has been put forward), and what format you would want to see it in.

Friendlies:
    3rd SFG ODA, Talon 30
    ANA (Afghan National Army)
    ISAF
    --Royal Canadian Regiment 1st Battalion, B Company
    --Dutch and Canadian Howitzer Fire Support

Enemies:
    Taliban and AQ foreign national fighters and advisers. Possible foreign military advisor(s).
    sigpic
    [squadl][conduct]

Re: Operation Medusa mission idea

Make it a mission. That's my vote.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I'm still looking as this more towards an Mult-Session Operation kind of deal. There will be large amount of ground to cover and having more than just a few hours to complete it would be ideal. With CLAfghan's various previously setup COPs it will allow for dynamic as well as clearly defined areas of operation. With the recent update to CLAfghan and its Grid fixes and other various details this increases the possiblities further. We can now actually have a working artillery base (tested already, grids work fine with 6 digit targets, need further testing on 8-Dig, but I have no worries.).

This project would, in my opinion, work best as a joint effort.

Woof, if you could get online, that would be fantastic as it would let us discuss this even further.
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Nabbed a copy of the script-suite(i guess you can call it) for the MSO. Looking into the coding right now. Gonna see if I can apply it to CLAfghan properly. If not, i'll salvage some of the coding and see if we can make our own style of mission.
        Blackpython / ZephyrDark
        Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I have to disagree with python and his multi session mission suggestion. The last MSO was a complete disaster as the server took a dump several times and I dont think it was ever completed. I gave up hope after 3 crashes so Im not sure of the outcome.

We already have a multi session mission going on right now, and I believe sector plans on continuing that for a while. What we dont have enough of is missions we can play when we have a medium sized group of people who dont want to constantly play the same dozen missions that we've all played a million times.

I do like this idea woof, mostly because its got the Canadians in it (although its crummy there is no Canadian faction) and thats probably all I would play. :D

It sounds like a nitty gritty, CQC kinda action that appeals to me. You will NEVER hear me complain about getting into close combat with any enemy. Except maybe with a tank.

I also disagree with python's idea for this to be a multi-session because these things normally come as an event, then its never spoken of again besides AARs. This kind of battle is one that can be done over and over because if you have a large AO, and a random cache spawn script...there are endless possibilities. You would never be able to play it out the same way more than once. Half the missions on the server we've done so many times that I know where the bots will be, I know where the objectives are.

Some variables and alot of CQC isnt a bad thing and definitely isnt something that we should only do as an event then forget about it. In a way this is similar to insurgency, but it would be alot better I think. In insurgency its the whole freakin map, with a few dozen baddies in each town. Its kind of stale to be honest and I get bored of it quite quick. If you took a small area of the map and packed it full of baddies and objectives, it keeps things flowing. A server killer is dullness, no denying that. It happens all the time, people join the server expecting to play and kill things. They dont want to come onto the server while people stand around with thumbs up their butts taking all day to decide how to get from one area to the next.

If you took the largest city in Takistan and its rural areas, it would be small enough that you can get anywhere on foot or light vehicles. Yet big enough that you do have some room to maneuver around the AO without constantly being under fire.

So yeah. Kind of a wall of text. Enjoy :D
          Last edited by Unkl; 03-10-2012, 07:47 PM. Reason: edit by request
          sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I am complete noob at mission making, having only done single player setups. I also haven't logged in enough time on Bravo to know the maps on there other than the popular ones that get the most action. So I don't know what is possible or not possible, easy or not easy to do in mission making.

I like challenging missions, but think a meat grinder probably wouldn't go over well. So one design challenge is how to take a large scale operation and boil down to be playable by a medium to large group (15-35). My thought on that is to make it playable as the US/Afghans or the Canadians, or both (for the large number).

On the US/Afghan side, they would start from an isolated FOB, move via SOF HMMVs and Ford Ranger-type techincals on a circuitous route to the south end of the operation AO. Along that path would be several engagements/objectives:
            --The Iranian fuel truck convoy
            --The Taliban training facility
            --One or two enemy ambushes

Once at the operation AO, the US/Afghan objectives would be establishing the blocking position, followed by the shift to the offensive to relieve pressure on the Canadians and regain the initiative. This would lead to a series of objectives taking a high ground terrain feature on the border of the city AO and then defending it from a series of counter-attacks.

The Canadian group start at a large, secure FOB with a MASH and artillery battery (crewable for fire support across the mission area). The Canadian armored force would consist of 2-3 IFVs and dismounts into the opposite side of the AO (should be north, but depends on the map selected and available terrain), and encountering strong resistance in the terrain leading to the city (ideally farm land with irrigation ditches, but any sort of limited mobility/visibilty restricted terrain would work). The Canadian contingent would then face the fierce task of close quarters combat, moving through the restrictive terrain, pushing on the center proper. Any remaining IFVs would be difficult to employ in this urban fight. During the fight for the city, the Canadians would be faced with a enemy strongpoint on a nearby high terrain feature that is the source of enemy counter-attacks, and shift to sieze that high ground and eliminate the enemy threat.

From a scale standpoint, I think this part of the operation would probably be several hours of travel and combat. By having multiple objectives (leading up to the big AO fight), the map would feasible for groups with a limited amount of time (working on the objectives leading to the AO), or able to be left up for continued action for those joining in later to continue to push to the final objective and resulting fights.

One key thing would be scaling the size and scope of the enemy forces based on the number of players currently in the map. I've heard mixed things about how viable this is. Another is having enough variety in the various objectives that either some happen or don't, or that the amount/type of enemies encountered vary so you won't know each phase after one play through and quickly get bored on repeat trips through the map.

For JIPs/Respawns, appearing at the FOBs would be less than ideal if they can't get to the fight, so I'm thinking maybe an ACOG style "teleport from base to vehicle" ability, with one of the vehicles in both the US/Afghan and Canadian groups being that forward teleport point. If destroyed, they would respawn back at the original FOBs.
            sigpic
            [squadl][conduct]

Comment

I think it was a whole lot of fun when we got to do a part of domi that included a few of us running around in the city avoidin infantry and vehicles. It is something different that will make a good mission on the server.

I do not think this would be a good MSO either. They tend to be rather late for a few of us and just a one time thing.

I would also like to see this one on Alpha as well as Bravo (I do not know how much work that entails but it is a pity to never see new missions like this on alpha as well. If I knew the coding better I woluld offer to help. In any way I can, I am open to it though).

I agree with jigoe this sounds like Insurgency with a twist. I like insurgency, I like it a lot. But, the truth is it does get kind of boring after a while. Two points that make insurgency apealing I think is, firstly people seem to like the faster paced enviroment (I am all in for waiting and looking at the map and make the best decisions, but sometimes you just want to get on and play since you do not always have time to stay longer and you end up leaving as soon as the fun part starts) and secondly I think if it was also on alpha it would work well as a seeder map too. It seems to be easy to understand for new players and different enough to spark interest, add some of our tactical team work and I think people would appreciate it.

Anyway, just my two cents.

EDIT
              I must have been typing when you posted that. I do not know how much people would agree but I think a spawn on a team leader/team mate like insurgency has might work as well.
              Last edited by WarFairy; 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM.
              - - -

Comment

By converting MSO to this, I didn't mean run it just like an MSO. MSO has a ton of very useful scripts that allow for large scale missions such as this to be simpler in the fact of playability. One of the major things I'd want to salvage would be the whole "Check in at FOB" respawn thing. Last thing we need are a ton of people respawning back at some remote respawn point that requires long range communications to relay information on the respawns. That will also help with JIPs, as they won't be stranded in the middle of no where waiting on orders that they might not get. I understand how unstable the last MSO was. I know it wouldn't work on our current server the way it is right now, especially on CLAfghan.

From what I understand, this mission is not going to be a simple "3 hour go here and kill all the baddies" kind of mission. The way I was looking at it is that it was going to be a lot more complex. Have the necessity of supply routes and organized combined operations. I wasn't trying to say "let's make this a four day mission" but more so, "let's try to make this mission playable when it gets to be going on for 4+ hours." Considering CLAfghan's mountian roads extend for onwards of 10km, convoying is going to be almost necessary, especially if air support of any kind is going to either be non-existent or extremely limited.

Also, I was almost certain that this was to be planned more so as an event, from what I recall. A mission of this description just wouldn't work at player amounts of less then 20 and without serious organization and planning. Oh, and woof, if you want to avoid meat grinding, the whole 'respawn at the vehicle' idea is not the way to go.
                Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                  So yeah. Kind of a wall of text. Enjoy :D
                  ...didn't enjoy it, but understood your frustrations.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                    Muhahahaha!

All I ask is that you dont ruin this mission by making it so complex and "tacticool" that people get frustrated when there is downtime and leave because they dont feel like spending 6 hours in a mission. No one, and I mean NO ONE wants to sit around for an hour while people get their crap together.

What ever it is you decide to do with this mission woof, i beg of you...no down time, no thumb twiddling. Thats the killer.
                    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

The idea is that there will be enough small engagements leading up to the big final action they there will be little amounts of travel time between contacts/mini-missions. So if you don't have at a lot time, you're into a couple of fights. If you have more time, you can keep pushing on to get to the final fights.

The challenge right now is finding a map/terrain that will work for this.
                      sigpic
                      [squadl][conduct]

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                        What LowSpeed said and then some.
                        |TG-189th| Unkl
                        ArmA 3 Game Officer
                        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                        189th Infantry Brigade Member
                        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X