Ideas Everywhere!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas Everywhere!

Ideas. Post 'em. However vague, however awkward to script, post them and share your delicious creativity.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Re: Ideas Everywhere!

Lingor Seeder-y Thing

Summary
    Thinking vaguely of making a seeder style mission on Lingor, where it's basically "Clear everything on the island". You start at Calamar airbase, and gradually clear out the rest of the map from there. Hopefully able to support up to fairly large player counts (50?), with the idea being that the basic minimum player count is somewhere around 10. More players doesn't mean shoving everyone together and zerg rushing the same objectives (although you could), but splitting up the players into seperate 'teams' to clear different objectives. So instead of having, say, 20 people all clearing the same village, have two teams of 10 people clearing two villages. Although, that's up to whoever's commanding the mission, so anyway...

Scripting / Help Needed
    Would ideally like to have some sort of script that allows multiple respawn points, and triggers to activate said respawn points - basically adding a respawn point to a town once it's cleared of all hostiles. Otherwise in later stages of the map (i.e. clearing the northern parts) you'd end up with spending massive amounts of time moving people around after they've respawned.
    Also have no idea how to spawn units on triggers - would be nice to be able to have BLUFOR AI to spawn into towns and patrol them once they're cleared.

Lingor QRF / Wave Defense Thing

Summary
    Defenders: Squad (10 man, SL + Medic + 2 x Fireteam) holed up in a village in the northern area of Lingor against waves of enemies.
    QRF: Lots of slots, basically JIP-ish slots. Has vehicles (light armour?), starts in Calamar airbase thingy. Has to drive up north to help the defenders, fight off waves of enemies and extract back to base with any surviving members of the defense guys. Random ambushes / contacts en route to the defender's location.

Scripting / Help Needed
    Some way to make the OPFOR approach in waves - probably going to do by having them with waypoints set to where the defenders are (using the UPSMON "nowp" command to make them work as intended). But need some way to trigger them to start moving to said waypoint after a set amount of time - probably done by putting their initial waypoint to 'hold', then transforming it to move?
    End trigger that identifies... a) who of the defenders is still alive, b) if they're within the trigger area.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Currently working on a CB (Counter Battery) mission idea for Emita City on Alpha server. The problem is for the replay aspect I need to place the enemy artillery in a random spot on the map. So I can place a small object like a pop can with a large placement radius on a very large field and use a script to spawn or move the battery objects to that location relative to each other.

The problem: SCRIPT PHOBIA
      The other problem: how can you place objects based on a relative location?
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
      189th Infantry Brigade Member
      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I think there's a radius thing in the editor? But no idea how it reacts to buildings... it'd suck to end up with the artillery battery on the roof of a building with no roof access, for example.

It'd be nice to know how to pick a few set locations, then have the game randomly generate which one of the locations things are stuck at. If that makes sense.

Pepper

Comment

Idea
          Hold the line for x amount of time

Have a large scale battle between russian and us forces, Idea is based of a mission in the game wargame European escalation, in which a center point must be defended against increasingly stronger forces, while also try to complete side objectives.

Map: Fallujah, defending on the west side of the city, holding the bridges with the msr being the focus of the action, the smaller old bridge and dam being side objectives which are coming under lighter attack.

Summary: Small force of AI and players are already in place holding the bridges until players are able to reinforce from the airbase on the east side. A FOB as been set up on the old hospital near the old bridge, with med tents some limited ammo and a command HQ. The main airbase will hold the main force, including a number of armored, airborne and artillery units and a large supply of weapons and ammo including transport.

The enemy will consist of a large number of mechanized infantry with tank and helicopter support, pushing down the main MSR, while smaller special forces teams will make a move on the side objectives.

Objectives: While the main objective will be to hold the bridge for a certain amount of time (variable?) there will also be a number of side objectives to be completed if possible
          Assassination of enemy General
          Holding all bridges
          Holding the old hospital
          Destruction of all enemy HQ vehicles
          (extreme mode) Don't lose a unit

Mechanics: Each side would have a number of command vehicles (MHQ) these are either pre-deployed or driven in, these provide tactical support like calling in artillery or air support, allowing respawn at a forward position, but are prime targets for both forces, once destroyed tactical options from the HQ are lost.

Another HQ idea that may not be possible is a ticket system based on time, ie for every HQ still alive and deployed the team gains 1 ticket every 30 seconds or so, and a respawn would use 5 tickets, while a new tank would cost 50. (maybe something like the warfare money system)

This could work for both sides, so the AI can keep an attack up by calling in reinforcements and same goes for the defenders, this makes the HQ more important both to attack and defend.

Limiting supplies in trucks, so a repair truck wont just repair all tanks all the time. Each truck has a set number of supplies, reloading or repairing uses supplies and once the truck is empty it must return to base to resupply.

Problems: I have no clue how to make missions, I can place units on a map, and set up some waypoints but anything else I have no knowledge off. Can I just buy someone to make it for me? and when I say buy I mean with love? and when I say love I mean I'll acknowledge you in the credits? and when I say that I mean a small footnote...

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
          So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasa View Post
            I think there's a radius thing in the editor? But no idea how it reacts to buildings... it'd suck to end up with the artillery battery on the roof of a building with no roof access, for example.

It'd be nice to know how to pick a few set locations, then have the game randomly generate which one of the locations things are stuck at. If that makes sense.
            I have a very very large field with no buildings around. Got that part covered. ;)
            |TG-189th| Unkl
            ArmA 3 Game Officer
            Dean of Tactical Gamer University
            189th Infantry Brigade Member
            SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
            "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

@Unkl

Catch me on TS, I'll magically make it happen. :)

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Hey guys! So I started playing around with the Arma editor a week ago, first as a way to make some flying/CAS tutorial practice missions.

Anyway, I've got 2 mission ideas that I'm starting on. Real simple stuff, but hopefully a little different than what's on the server now. Also, I'm going to try to flesh out a bit of back story and hopefully make it somewhat immersive, rather than "just go kill those guys" or "patrol a road for IEDs" type of mission. I tend to play latenight on Bravo (West Coast here), when there are very few people online.

My favorite missions are special operations types, recon & destroy objectives, usually. That will be reflected in the two mission types I'm trying to develop, which are kind of a Rainbow-6 storyline of trying to stop weapons from being smuggled out of Takistan into the hands of postwar Chernarussian terrorists:

Mission 1: secure & hold type
                Stop the weapons smuggling convoy!

Special Forces get inserted by helicopter, then you secure an objective & prepare to ambush a convoy. Things don't go well, so you have to extract under heavy fire. I'm leaving out all the cool stuff I plan on adding later, as a surprise.

Mission 2: HVT target/Intel gathering, plan goes badly.

For the second mission, I'm thinking of having 2 teams: Team Alpha is composed of undercover CIA agents who need to locate an HVT target or intel. Probably on Chernarus. Team Bravo, composed of specops operators, gets to do the dirty work. Things go to hell, enemy reinforcements arrive. Extraction point maybe gets compromised, and you have to fly some crappy civilian airplane to escape or something.

Since I'm new to this, I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible (as little scripting as possible). Still, I want to make it impossible to simply eliminate all of the hostile forces, which most of the Bravo missions end up as. Much more fun to simply achieve a specific objective as skillfully as possible, under a time constraint (10 minutes before 100 enemy armored units arrive to wipe you out!).

Mission 2 isn't fleshed out, but the first one is getting there. Thoughts?

"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"
                "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                -Einstein

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X