A Few Quick Q's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Quick Q's

I figured I would try my hand at mission editing, but I'm new to ArmA editing and have a few questions, regarding things like scripts. I've read through a bunch of tutorials and got all the basics down. I'm new to programming so I got that the quickest. However, I am having a hard time understanding a few things about scripts I can download.

First Question: If I find a script, such as EOD mod (Link) does the server itself need anything to use it? Am I limited on what scripts I can use based on what the server already has?

- I think I just answered this question by reading the requirements for this specific script, but feel free to elaborate.

Second Question: What is the difference between "Condition" and "On Act."

- I realize On Act is On activate, so would condition just be "Only happen if so on..."? Can anyone give me an example on it's usage?

Third Question: What EXACTLY do I need to set in order to have missions as fluent at the start as other missions I've played.

- When I start these missions, everyone has the default gear for their entity. I THINK I may have to run a script for everyone individually to remove or place items, but I'm not positive.

For someone who just started looking at the editor last night, you can see I'm not entirely lost. I have a direction, I just want some clarification early on so I don't make the mission unplayable.

Any other tips that could help me get my missions up and running on TG server ASAP would be good too. I don't want any issues as far as playability. I can obviously test the mission itself, such as objectives and so on, but anything that may happen between the mission and the server or other clients I won't know about... a heads up would be nice on common errors or something.

Thanks! Butler.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Re: A Few Quick Q's

Originally posted by Toptonic - Butler View Post
    Second Question: What is the difference between "Condition" and "On Act."
    - I realize On Act is On activate, so would condition just be "Only happen if so on..."? Can anyone give me an example on it's usage?
    M'kay! I'll do an example thing, then, and explain what's going on. By default, the Condition field is this. That simply means it's activated by what you've set on the dropdown menus and so on. Anyway, I'm going to 'write' a trigger here that checks if a unit named HVT (in the unit's name field) is dead, and - if HVT is dead - gives a hint saying, "HVT eliminated."
    Condition: (!alive HVT)
    On Act: hint "HVT eliminated."

Third Question: What EXACTLY do I need to set in order to have missions as fluent at the start as other missions I've played.
    - When I start these missions, everyone has the default gear for their entity. I THINK I may have to run a script for everyone individually to remove or place items, but I'm not positive.
    There's a programme called LEA that can script gear into missions for you. Alternately, you can script it manually. In terms of making stuff run, test as much as possible in single player (usually using invulnerability mode, gained through putting this allowDamage false; in the init of the player character unit), and so forth. Personally I avoid using any triggers that instantly end missions, as they can sometimes glitch out and end a mission early. For example, if you set the mission to trigger complete if all OPFOR have left an area, and they all left the area to chase the players rather than being dead, that'd trigger mission over without actually killing the enemies.

That's all the stuff i have right now. Putting my head back in mah mission.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Thank you, that helps explain. The biggest problem I'm having right now is actually with the EOD mod... I've spent all day trying to figure it out, and the conclusion I've gotten is that it's working and creating a suicide bomber, but the bomber won't blow up. No matter what I do he just acts like a normal civilian.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Can't help on that one, not used it yet.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Thank you, that helps explain. The biggest problem I'm having right now is actually with the EOD mod... I've spent all day trying to figure it out, and the conclusion I've gotten is that it's working and creating a suicide bomber, but the bomber won't blow up. No matter what I do he just acts like a normal civilian.
          Be sure to check out these videos to get the parameters needed,

that's all the help I can give for this, I haven't even been able to spawn suicide bombers or IED's in any of my custom missions.

As for the gear, what Athanasa said, use the @LEA (Loadout Editor) mod, it's brilliant for adding gear to soldiers or even getting weapon and ammunition names to put into ammo boxes.
          "War is not about what's right, It's about what's left"
          "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing Innocent people"
          "If we don't end war, War will end us"

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM9991 View Post
            Be sure to check out these videos to get the parameters needed,

that's all the help I can give for this, I haven't even been able to spawn suicide bombers or IED's in any of my custom missions.

As for the gear, what Athanasa said, use the @LEA (Loadout Editor) mod, it's brilliant for adding gear to soldiers or even getting weapon and ammunition names to put into ammo boxes.
            Thanks guys, I used LEA and after a few minutes I had all 41 game slots geared out correctly, and editing (and future missions gearing) will be a piece of cake because I used profiles. The EOD mod is such a pain however. I had already watched those videos plenty of times, just still not getting any good results. I'm going to open it up on my test mission soon again to try and get it working alright.

A few more questions: I noticed some missions had a custom intro screen, someone care to say a few words on where to mess with this?

AND

Is there anything special I have to do to get ACRE radios or any special wounded system working? I don't have any 343's or 117-119's or anything.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X