Mission Idea (WIP/experiment)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Idea (WIP/experiment)

I was reading a forum post about TvT, and I had mentioned something about the "limited-ness" of things like 12 on 12 and not having the ability of joint task-forces and what-not. Anyway. I got this strange idea of crossbreeding co-op, and TvT into a "new game type", that I'm calling: "Battlefield Command" (BC). It's still very much a work in progress. I'm thinking of creating a map and testing in an "event based style" (sign-ups) to see how people respond to it. and then getting some feedback on it.

Battlefield Command (BC) is a game type that I am considering developing that incorporates TvT with the games AI. Essentially it breaks down each player into their own squad/element where they each control their own AI team. An example would be, if there were 8 people online playing, they would each have say 10 AI in their squads, thereby creating the ability to have massive battles with endless possibilities. I believe that there's a single player mission that has this general idea, but the difference is that this would be modified to "fit" into a more "TG" style of game.

There are obviously some major set-backs to my idea. One being, the AI can be pretty stupid, and unmanageable then controlled by a player. However, I see this as an equal disadvantage, and although I know people don't like learning new things (like how to deal with stupid AI), I think it has potential. The other problem, is that it can quickly scale out of hand and crash servers... which just isn't a good thing. You can also end up stacking missions, to where there's an all player team, but then "hide" elements of enemy players, who control squads etc. etc.

So here's the basic event Idea:

Team A is tasked with defending their base(s)/assets (possibly having mobility options so it can be moved around). Team B of course is to search and destroy. (like an advanced version of BF2:PR insurgency). Team B will be given an array of recon tools and intel to help pinpoint the enemy. Team A will have A larger defending force and reinforcing Supports. The cross would be, having an "all human element" doing special forces missions, to "take out" each others side objectives and support assets (should recon missions discover them).

Each team has one command element, consisting of all human players. Each team also gets a number of Pl. medic slots. Each team gets a large array of side-specific vehicles and assets, including trans choppers, attack helos, tanks, Apcs, Logistics vehicles, and other various tools. So depending on how I lay things out, there may, for example, be one slot that says "Tank Unit 1", where the player who selects that role, ends up commanding 2 Tanks of AI, and then also his own tank. There will be no re-spawn for assets or the AI. So if your entire squad including you is wiped out, only you will respawn, and then you attach yourself to the first available, living squad.

The whole idea is that it crosses between teamwork (with the other squad leaders/elements), Coop (lots of AI to shoot at), TvT (adding that human element) and logistics/intel.

This Idea isn't meant to be a "go-in-and-do-lots-of-shooting" type mission (or even sneak around and do "black-ops" type missions). In fact, it alters entirely how we "typically" play. With any gametype, there will be those who love it and those who hate it. I'm merely putting this out here to see how you guys might respond. It's based solely, on a grander scale tactical/leadership gameplay.

Like I said, it's still very much a WIP and just an experiment, but I figure this might give us a new and maybe even refreshing perspective on the different game mechanics ArmA2 has the potential for.

ribbons_volunteer-class1.jpg
    "WARNING: Don't let me throw frags!"

Re: Mission Idea (WIP/experiment)

Sounds like a cool idea in my head but it is currently at war with the problem that the AI even with ASR are still so dumb. I had thought of making a TvT that was more along the lines that it was TvAIvT and the AI was hostile to all forces. So it would be almost like CoTvT.
    sigpic

Comment

Another variation could be, TvTAI. Were the second team would be mostly Dumb AI, but the first team would still have to play tactically to confront the other team (kinda like having a Special Forces unit on the AI team). One my Favorite games on BF1942 was to play Omaha beach, and, (of course) dominate the first round. then add one player to the AI, then Two, then Four, etc. until it was about 50%/50%+AI. That would be great to integrate things like this into TVT missions. call them TVT+ missions.

But My original Idea, is almost a completely different ballpark. Like you were saying, the Dumb AI would only get dumber, as they wait for orders (I don't think ASR, would be effective because they're coded to wait for their leader to give orders. The idea behind it is that it's not about the realism/tactical gameplay of each firefight, but rather; the realism/tactical gameplay of the broader scope of war.

[EDIT]
      I wonder if you could script something, where instead of giving "classic arma" orders, you could have a control GUI/scrollwheel option. to say "attack here like you would if using ASR". or something like that. just a thought.
      Last edited by Shoomfie; 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

I thought about that too but I don't think the AI will follow strict orders like you would see units try to do in a RTS game like CoH or MoW. There's no doubt you could probably script it in it's just getting the AI to do what you want vs what they think is appropriate.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, my idea was to somehow balance it between being like an RTS (moving units, creating bases and choke-points, etc.) and of of course FPS's. The JOC would be the person who places people around on maps in the right order, to achieve their teams victory. I've determined though that this would not work well with your "average" gamers, who just like to shoot things. It's definitely geared towards "a day in the life of..." style. Ideally, the Primary objectives of each team, would vary so that they'd be "difficult" to even find, much less capture, and then have MSO styled side missions that intersect and cross eachother. It would definitely make people want to hurry more when they kit up! So I guess it'd be a little like TvT domi with a twist.

You wouldn't need to script anything for the AI's movement necessarily, but I've had trouble with AI B-lining it to where I tell them to go, and they don't end up using cover very well. But I think that depends on what "stance" you put them in.

Comment

This sounds alot like the Warfare game mode. Have you seen that? Individual soldiers in command of AI units working with other individual soldiers and their ai units to complete various objectives.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed