Testing on Charlie server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing on Charlie server

I'd like to preface this by saying i have only been here for a few months and as a result may be missing something however....

To my understanding, Charlie is the server where new missions go to be "certified" for use on Bravo. this potentially meaning that Charlie gets significantly less play time and is thus less economical to be on all the time. Yet people (Including myself) would like to be able to test missions in a timely manner so as to increase the playability and enjoyment to be had from Bravo's mission list and potentially move onto bigger and better projects, benifiting TG further.

It has come to my attention that a few factors are at odds with each other in our current testing proce. Namely that if Charlie is down it isn't always easy to know who to ask unless you've been here a while and once you find out who to ask it isn't easy to get a hold of someone to put it up for the time required (so far as i've found). Nor is it particularly great organisation to have people posting signups for events to 'test' a mission in my opinion.

I propose that we have a couple of days during the week where testing is done so that there is no need for signup and less fear of Charlie being up and not in use. The process changing like so (eg.)

1.) everyone posts their mission for upload to Charlie by ... say Monday.
    This adds the incentive for someone who wants to see their mission get play, get up and actually do it rather than say "I'll do it tomorrow" (mostly for me i admit :) ) and just gets the production ball rolling.

2.)People who upload the missions to charlie are able to do them in bulk (saving time) on .... say tuesday or wednesday.
    Firstly we don't have to chase you guys down to upload our missions one at a time... it's a waste of everyones time having to each individually bother a person and use up their free time, currectly occupied by the responsibilities of being and admin who can upload missions, to use in an otherwise more leisurely manner :). That , and we get more time to play too knowing that everything is set in motion for testing on a particular day.

3.)Charlie server could be up for.... say wednesday and Thursday (or even just the evenings) allowing time for people to get together and take turns testing each others missions.
    Once again this cuts the stress from finding a person to start it up just for you or me. by setting a date it once again helps people refrain from the "i'll do it tomorrow" thing.
    Keeps the costs of running a test server down as it is running more closely to it's times of use.

4.) This all so that the missions can be "certified" and Tranfered to Bravo on ...... say Friday ready for the weekend of fun times all.
    This just rounds the whole thing off meaning that potentially every week we will have a new mission or two to try out and more importantly it doesn't take someone to have been here for ages to know how to get their ideas onto the server.

some of us (i mean me again but i know there are others out there) don't like to bug people when they are playing DayZ or whatever else which is just one perk of having a system in place. and just think of all those people who want to make missions but because there is no clear path on how to make it happen they refrain. making this easier may not only increase the quality of missions we see through more people getting into it, but the quantity of missions that could potentially be seen would make having the Charlie server running even more viable.

Bigger picture
    The easier we make it for people to get their ideas out there the more people we have in the Mission making area, bouncing ideas off each other combining scripts and creating more and more awesome content for this game we all love. Just look and the teams out there who have created things like ACE and all it's trimmings, the I44 and even the smaller ones like SLX and those little tweaks to the anims and movement capability of Arma. all realised by groups of people, be it friends who just worked hard or people who met in a forum and collaberated.

Don't get me wrong, the forum is great and makes it easy for people to share things, but doing something like this would ensure that we get the maxiimum number sharing 'ARMA ideas' on how to make our experience better.... not just things...pfff...who needs things ... or so I would argue.

Thanks for reading
    zorilya

Re: Testing on Charlie server

A repository would be nice for all of this especially if it could sync up with the Charlie server that way verified TGer's could just upload their missions on the fly (only .pbo's and only to Charlie). Also this would allow the admin team to exert as much or as little control. Also most repositories keep very good records as far as commits, updates, exports, forks, etc...
    sigpic

Comment

sounds like a good idea and relieves admins from even more time spent doing less fun things

Comment

Use the CAA. It is the fastest way to notify an admin of anything short of a PM to me.

The phn keyboard is not my friend
        |TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer
        Dean of Tactical Gamer University
        189th Infantry Brigade Member
        SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
        "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Don't feel bad about poking an admin in TS or dropping a PM on the forums, its what we signed up for and why we are here

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
          So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
            Don't feel bad about poking an admin in TS or dropping a PM on the forums, its what we signed up for and why we are here
            Ok well I will ram it on in there when appropriate.

sigpic

Comment

ok well i will keep that in mind but still does a weekly roll out of content , or atleast an incentive to get the ball rolling, not seem like a good idea?

Comment

I use the CAA thread for just such requests. While I agree a better method may help with an editors inconvenience, most of my requests are replied too within a few hours.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by zorilya View Post
                  ok well i will keep that in mind but still does a weekly roll out of content , or atleast an incentive to get the ball rolling, not seem like a good idea?

the problem being there isn't always content ready to roll out every week some weeks there are 4 or 5 mission at once others none. Its best to have them just uploaded when the creator has time to test them on charlie and not when we decide it needs to be tested

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                  So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

While it looks like i will most likely be conceding to concensus, i feel there is a detail missed here in that the creation of a content production cycle will most likely have an effect on the amount of content produced and perhaps promote more chatter on the forum about editing ideas, both in positive ways. I also wouldn't think that it's so much a mandatory testing period as an dedicated testing period. we pretty much have a certain few days, and time of those days, when we do some serious gaming but whilst that may effect when people come on, would you say THAT is us deciding when people can play? i would argue that making an alloted and most optimal time for testing to benifit most if not all editors and players then whis wouldn't be constricting as your comment seemed to indicate, but rather more efficient, productive and once again incentivise creativity.

Comment

as we have both bravo and alpha events, we could also host charlie events.
                      we would schedule these events when we have enough missions (that are thoroughly playable) to last us anywhere from 3-7 (or however many) hours during the event day.
                      we get people organized and together, and we get some exciting new missions for our bravo and alpha servers.
                      Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

Great ideas all.
                        The admin team will definitely take them into their considerations.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X