Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Mission Generator Idea

Hi Guys,
    I've been thinking for a while that a very simple "mission generator" may be useful for ArmA2 / ArmA3. Something that can generate basic SQM files that can then be tidied up in the editor and have mission logic added (waypoints etc). The basic way I thought it would work would be to have a list of unit types and another list of possible "spawn points" for given maps. You ask the generator to build 'x' BLUFOR units and 'y' OPFOR units and it picks some spawn points relatively close together. You can then edit the spawn location, unit type etc to tweak. You could potentially set up unit templates like 'in helicopter', playable, etc which may take some of the initial grunt work out of creating missions.

Another potentially useful feature I thought of would be a central folder of scripts that you can basically tick a box against and have it included in the mission directory...

Would anybody find this kind of generator useful, and if so, what sort of features would you find want?

Will
    sigpic

Re: Simple Mission Generator Idea

Well I've started to do the basics. I can generate mission files if I manually choose units etc. Next thing is to set up some default Groups and spawn points that can be selected in the UI.

I have some screenshots but I can't post links or images so I'm unable to share them.
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting. When you get more posts you will get more abilities here. Great start! Looking forwsrd to seeing what your working on.
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
      189th Infantry Brigade Member
      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Thanks Unkl... yeah figured it was because I'm new around here!
        sigpic

Comment

Good luck with your project! Initiatives like this are a great way to remove some of tedious parts of mission editing and get more people involed in creating missions! I haved never completely artificially/automatically created an entire .sqm before, but I have used scripting to dump new class instances based on existing markers, units, objects, etc, to the log in .sqm format which I could then paste into an already existing .sqm.

Will it be web based like PlannedAssault, a stand alone application, or a GUI inside A3 itself?
          LoyalGuard

Comment

Hi Loyalguard... yes its a standalone Windows GUI application... It can already generate complete SQM files, I'm just working on it having useful stuff in there :)

The initial idea is that you can set up a bunch of defaults - e.g. "I like a playable group with two riflemen and a sniper with this particular weapon loadout and I want to play against 2 enemy rifle squads." You add those three groups to the application and it then places them in random but not too distant spawn points. You then export the SQM to a folder, open in the ArmA editor, add a few waypoints and play. I do have some more advanced ideas but don't want to get ahead of myself :)

I still can't post links but if you go to imgur dot com and then add /a/s2MNy after that you can see some initial screenshots :)
            sigpic

Comment

I just checked out the screen shots. Looks good so far. Looks good! Keep at it!
              LoyalGuard

Comment

Ok - I've made a few changes and I'm pretty close to having a working editor. I've also created the base for an online Arma script directory - sort of like the forum script bin. Eventually I would like to link this into the mission generator so you can select scripts to be automatically included in the mission folder when you hit "generate".

Screenshots are currently hosted on imgur dot com - append the code below to go to the relevant album:
                online script directory: http://imgur.com/a/Lb0NU
                mission generator: http://Imgur.com/a/saJLt

(If somebody with more priveleges wants to turn these links into proper URLs feel free :) )

Admin waz here
                Last edited by bolagnaise; 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

At the risk of talking to myself :) I've got a working version which can generate playable missions - no waypoints so you have to add those in via the editor. The missions aren't very interesting yet as it basically just randomly puts your units down on the map and I've only configured it for USMC units (although you can add your own custom units).

To make things more interesting I was thinking about the types of missions that people generally play and the deployments / waypoints / triggers etc that result. I think it should be possible to make mission / waypoint / trigger generators which can set up these kinds of missions for the units that you select. Off the top of my head I can think of a few common 'patterns' for missions:

ASSAULT - capture or clear an objective of enemy forces
                  DEFEND - the opposite of ASSAULT
                  PATROL - follows a patrol route and destroy enemies encountered
                  ROADBLOCK - guard a road and prevent enemies from passing through
                  MEETING ENGAGEMENT - Head on clash of two patrolling / manoeuvring forces

Any thoughts? What sorts of missions do you enjoy?

P.S. Thanks bolgnaise for the edit above!
                  sigpic

Comment

See the v0.1 preview in action at youtube.com/ watch?v=jv0xMYUUA6I
                    sigpic

Comment

Well I've just released version 0.2 at www.anvilproject.com This adds

- a 'defend the objective' mission generator (creates triggers and waypoints required)
                      - automatically download and install scripts hosted at anvilproject dot com (you can add your own)

There is a full youtube 'feature preview' uploading now to www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Adq2RvFZXw (can a mod embed this vid please as I am still limited :))
                      Last edited by bolagnaise; 03-28-2013, 11:19 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X