Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Balance, no respawn missions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Balance, no respawn missions.

Specifically, what do you think is a good ratio of AI - Players on these types of missions. Also keep in mind that missions are not always played at full strength.

Re: Thoughts on Balance, no respawn missions.

3:1 or 2:1, in worst case scenario up to 6:1, any kind of support increases the ratio further on either side <--- just what I think
    - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

I think it's complicated John to be honest. It depends on the layout of the mission. For example, you could have a target compound or objective with a limited number of AI opponents. This compound could be some distance from the insertion point. Between insertion point and objective you could have roving patrols. If the element is able to move covertly from insertion to objective and extract swiftly, well, they may only have to counter the defending force on the objective, thus rewarding them with a 'fairer' fight for their tactical movement as it were.

If they clatter about, fail to move tactically and engage the enemy on sight, whether they have been pinged or not, well, they are going to get the whole force coming down on them and will probably have to fight their way in and out of the target location.

In that sense you could make the force ratio with AI somewhat dynamic rather than set. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
        I think it's complicated John to be honest. It depends on the layout of the mission. For example, you could have a target compound or objective with a limited number of AI opponents. This compound could be some distance from the insertion point. Between insertion point and objective you could have roving patrols. If the element is able to move covertly from insertion to objective and extract swiftly, well, they may only have to counter the defending force on the objective, thus rewarding them with a 'fairer' fight for their tactical movement as it were.

If they clatter about, fail to move tactically and engage the enemy on sight, whether they have been pinged or not, well, they are going to get the whole force coming down on them and will probably have to fight their way in and out of the target location.

In that sense you could make the force ratio with AI somewhat dynamic rather than set. Hope that makes sense.
        I second this.

Comment

Thoughts on Balance, no respawn missions.

1:1 at best. If you think you'll be going into battle without an overwhelming favour of advantages then you're really watching too many movies.
          There are times when the preverbal SHTF but, it's manageable thorough solid teamwork, and execution.

Also, lower number of AIs per player equals quicker turnaround of games, in a broad stroke.

Typed on Tapatalk

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Especially given the relatively (compared to recent past) penalty for death we are trying out, I agree 1 to 1. When you have serious advantages, maybe 1 to 2. 1 to 4 is great when the humans can keep getting up, dusting themselves off, and going again. But they cannot do that any more.
            The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I moved this in here so you guys can have a decent conversation, if it is the open forum most wont understand the basic mechanics involved. With the, you would get so many off the wall answers.

As for the topic, I have my own opinion. I know that depending on loadouts, AI skill, openness of terrain they are all factors that fluctuate the ratio.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X