Mission Ideas From the Community!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Ideas From the Community!

I know that as a mission developer, coming up with new and unique ideas for missions can be quite a task, so I wanted to start a thread where the community can share and discuss mission ideas that they have. I want to keep this thread informal, so go ahead and share away.

The idea here is that the community get's input on the missions that we play here at TG, and that that mission designers collaborate directly with the person who created the idea.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Re: Mission Ideas From the Community!

I also have this problem, all my missions turn in to tech demos for cool systems i design never any thing that's fun to play.

Comment

That's an issue I have been having lately... I stop mission development to finish a script.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Zeven View Post
        all my missions turn in to tech demos for cool systems i design never any thing that's fun to play.
        Originally posted by Toptonic - Butler View Post
        I stop mission development to finish a script.
        story of my life.
        Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

All too interesting gentlemen !

You see, collaboration between us might just do the trick. Instead of doing all our thing in our separate corner, we could collaborate more on projects.

Example, i really suck at scripting (the fact that i hate it doesnt help learning it) but im pretty good at mission design in general, details from my military experience, background stories and external documents that make that .pbo alive and enrich the player experience. So my problem is i spend way too much time finding script that other people made that fits the mission (working the mechanic of the mission) instead of working on what i am good at (and like to do the most).

If anyone is open for collaboration with me on a project i am currently working on, raise your hand. I have a great idea for an event (or a series of events if players demand it) that i developed last year, but it was too complex and too ambitious so it never happened. Its a scale down version, based on realism first (this is really important for me), and small infantry teams working toward dynamic objectives. I can tell you more if you are interested.

cheers!

-Rat
          Last edited by Atoms; 10-15-2013, 04:50 PM. Reason: grammar
          sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

I'm upp for that.

Comment

PM Sent.

Comment

Ok gents i will PM you with more details when i have more time.

Cheers

-Rat
                sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

I guess I'll post a suggestion

make a stripped down small Company-size mission for somewhere between 50-80 people including 2 rifle platoons with 2 squads in each, a weapons platoon (mobile mortars/.50's and maybe add the zafir or mk200 since we dont have many options for 7.62 MG's) and a small Company staff. Maybe make the mission against infantry and possibly light vehicle/support only so we dont have to worry about bringing AT.

when it comes to the mission its kinda open, but im assuming some kind of multi-task mission that takes a few hours with a lot of optional objectives, where as we start at a location that we can hike to the objectives from, with all of this we could also add platoon or company size Groups to the enemy, which would create an engagement of 50 versus 50 battles where firepower and maneuver would make a huge deal

to be able to fill all slots im gonna assume its either an event mission or a mission for the public where TG primarily takes the commanding slots to avoid chaos

about that collaboration I guess I can join you if you need me, I don't know what im good at yet. im fairly new to editing
                  - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Try to come up with a more concrete idea. Let your imagination run wild come up with story, objectives and other things that can happen during the mission the more precise and detailed the better. Don't worry about actually making it thats where we come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeven View Post
                      Try to come up with a more concrete idea. Let your imagination run wild come up with story, objectives and other things that can happen during the mission the more precise and detailed the better. Don't worry about actually making it thats where we come in.
                      I wouldn't mind designing it further if anyone is into making something like this, to be honest it was more of a suggestion "if" TG wants to take things to the next level. trying to Control a Company with just ingame vanilla Communications would probably be quite challenging. if there is interest, I would make up every location, role and task right away

I'll give a detailed mission idea once I get the time to for this and we'll see how it ends up

sigpic

Comment

here's the full mission idea, a bit rough, to my previous mission suggestion, minimum is approx. 35 players (1st platoon at half strength, 3rd platoon and all required Staff)

Situation: Charlie Company and the rest of the Regiment has been ordered to sweep the northwestern Altis, there are lots of CSAT that AAF has not taken care of up there
                        [mark 4 other Companies or so on the map just for the looks, anywhere fitting, mission starts at sunrise, 4:45 on summer, all roles are expected to have standard gear for day-time, no nightvision, pistols, chemlights and so on, JIP/Respawn10min/Revive]

Locations (Altis):
                        Start: 082181 close to Syrta, west side of map
                        Assets: 1x HEMTT for ammo and personell (respawns) transportation - filled with ammunition, more Mk30's and mortar tubes to refill static weapons ammunition, each mortar has 4 sets of HE (32 rounds)

Task 1: halfway to Kore
                        A CSAT large patrol with few ifrits and 40-80 footsoldiers has been spotted by reconnisance moving east from Factory (062162), it will move to Kore and then north to your location, eliminate it [once blufor starts engaging the convoy, enemy forces will attack from the northwest in the hills and forests
                        Task 2: Assault Kore (071164)
                        Large forces of CSAT have been gathering in and around Kore, eliminate them, do a house to house sweep and avoid civilian casualties, they're moving around town.
                        Task 3: Move to 054179 while killing any CSAT on the way, including those spotted in Factory (062162), [make camps and patrols scattered around the path to task objective, these will be optional find and destroy places, meaning CO can choose for the straight path to end the mission quickly or kill surrounding opfor first]

Roles (BLUFOR, NATO) - Slots (Min/Max): 35/79
                        Company CO, Company XO, First Sergeant, Gunnery Sergeant, Driver

Medic Lead, Medic x3

1st Rifle Platoon CO, 1st Platoon XO
                        Squad Lead x2, FTL x6, Grenadier x6, Rifleman x4, Autorifleman x6, Marksman x2

2nd Rifle Platoon - same as above

3rd Weapons Platoon CO, 3rd Platoon XO
                        Mk6 Gunner x2, Mk6 Asst. x2, Mk30 Gunner x2, Mk30 Asst. x2

p.s: if this mission were to ever come true, I won't be solving the Communications issues between Groups, thats a pain. lol
                        p.p.s: feel free to put enemy mines down over various locations for example around Kore, I love those things :)
                        Last edited by Xorilliz; 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM.

sigpic

Comment

IDEA #1: Infantry Force with Low Carrying Capacity on a night mission involving urban clearing.

General Concept:
                          Small infantry force does night paradrop and clears out 2-3 small towns. Towns garrisoned mostly with enemy infantry. (Patrolling outdoors and placed in good positions). The friendly force has limited carrying capacity and therefore needs resupply at least 3 times during the mission. (Because they carry so little ammo, enabling fast movement on foot without fatigue.) This forces them to fight small fights and flight smart.

Enemy force:
                          Enemy infantry in platoon or company strength (60 enemy infantry on the map total.) At least one town has 1 piece of armor, and at least one town has a piece of Anti Air. Maybe 2 or 3 light vehicles. Mostly patrols.
                          Some enemy could have NVG, but most should not, to give the players some advantage.

Objectives:
                          Objectives after the first do not appear until the first is completed. Therefore the good guys do not know where their next objective will be, or what it will be, until it is time. The first town is simply clear out the enemy in a given town (kill all.) A message comes up after killing a particular enemy near the first objective saying you "found new intel on a dead enemy officer" or something like that.

The second objective is to destroy a structure (using explosives planted by the infantry force) in the second town. Where the first town was lightly guarded, this one has some heavier stuff, more enemies with MGs, maybe a light vehicle.

The third objective is to respond to a distress call at a friendly base. [Note: I believe the arma3 editor includes a way to do "defense" scenarios where waves of enemies spawn, if this is not the case, INGORE THIS OBJECTIVE. It would be too hard to do].

The final objective is to rescue some hostages. [Completed when they are loaded into the friendly chopper. Hostages should be few enough that they can be loaded onto the chopper.] Infantry have to find the hostages within a small town, take control of them, and lead them to the chopper. When the good guys are detected within the town boarders an enemy reinforcement force is called, [and a warning message pops up from satellite intelligence or something telling the commander]. This gives a time pressure.

Mission Ends when hostages onboard chopper.

Friendly force: Small infantry force ~10 People (Perhaps 1 squad, consisting of 3 fire teams. Could be limited to 2 fire teams.)
                          They should have variety of weapons including at least 1 Anti-Tank. But they should start with very limited ammo, and have very low carrying capacity (due to their lack of clothing/lack of back pack)

Small support asset. (2 people) consisting of 1 pilot in control of one troop transport (littlebird) type chopper and one UAV Operator. (1 pilot's the craft. The other support role is a UAV controller how is back at base with the pilot. His function is to provide UAV recon with the small scouting unarmed UAV. He should be a virtual civilian. Having a pistol, or no weapon, to make it more difficult for him to be brought to the front and used as a front line soldier.
                          Pilot is mostly resupply (with ammo) and reinforce (with JIP or respawns). Although the chopper can be used for troop transport, it cannot transport the whole force at once.

Paradrop insertion required at the start, perhaps into the ocean, then requiring swim ashore. (Means no backpacks, which limits ammo, forces conservation or resupply runs by the chopper.)

(Bonus design points- use the group ID script template and the extra radio channels template that our great scripters have created! The Overall commander can have a channel to the UAV guy and the Pilot.)

To make it easier: Remove all enemy NVGs.
                          To make it harder: Get rid of the UAV support man, or just make him a normal infantry, part of the main force.

This is just an idea, you do not need to follow it to a T by any means. I just think the night paradrop start is cool, and clearing urban towns (with pre placed INDOOR and OUTDOOR enemy guys) as well as normal patrols is cool. I also think the idea of "you were detected so now the reinforcements are coming!" is a nice mechanic.
                          Last edited by Garthra; 10-24-2013, 04:42 AM.
                          The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

IDEA #2: Scramble Alert

Simple defense mission with a speed loadout and moveout twist.

You start at your base, completely unequipped. The enemies will arrive at the outpost they are attacking in X minutes. Basically it is a scramble alert. You have enough time to gear up, but only if you move quickly and get to the transport quickly. If some BLUFOR is not on site when the attack begins you automatically lose the mission.

To prevent the good guys from preplanning too much, and to make it really a scramble alert (not foreseen) have the briefing screen describe them going out on a patrol to a completely unrelated area. Or better yet say your objective is to go to morning Physical Training. Anything but what will really happen. So no one knows what to expect. Then 30 seconds after the mission begins, or some reasonable time for dsync and such, CANCEL that objective and place a new one informing them of the incoming attack on Outpost X and the need to quickly arm up and get there, including the time limit. Don't make the time limit impossible, but make it quick enough it feels like there is urgency.

After that it is a pretty standard defense mission. I think there is a simple way to do them in the editor in ArmA 3. If you want to add bells and whistles you can. (example: When the attack on that base begins, you can have a quick enemy mortar barrage, (aimed OUTSIDE the base) to start it off with a bang. Make sure the first round explodes well outside the base, perhaps the first 2 or 3. The point is to add atmosphere, not to wipe them out.)
                            The main thing is the surprise and not knowing what they are doing.
                            The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

IDEA #3: Hit and Run

Small infantry force is tasked with ambushing a base where an enemy armor unit is rearming. The strike must be quick, because a QRF will respond within 10-15 minutes of the first shots being fired i.e. enemies detecting players near the base. Players should be warned of the likely enemy QRF in the briefing so they know as soon as the lead starts flying they have about X minutes to get moving.

There will be stationary tanks in a defended base (unable to move, forced stationary, perhaps even unmanned, doesn't really matter. Just not mobile. Destroying these tanks is the primary objective. The second primary objective is escape to a given "safe" zone or helichopter pickup without being destroyed by the enemy reinforcements.

The whole mission should be quick, under an hour. 20 minutes or so to get setup and get to the objective (maybe a few patrols outside the base, not much really). A good bit of enemies inside the base for the main event, with only a few minutes for this quick strike.
                              And an overwhelming force in the quick reaction group. Give then 15 minutes or so for the extraction phase. Perhaps have the enemy quicj reaction force set to patrol all the way to the extraction point, so there will be a running gunfight, or at least pursuit. To avoid server lagging with too many units, the force could be overwhelming because the friendlies have no counter (for instance 6 tanks, which is simply too many for the good guys to destroy their targets (the stationary tanks) and fight the responders. Or a helo gunship, which the players have no counter for. Something like that.

Or, you could make the QRF a force that can be defeated, maybe 200% the player force. So beating them is possible. This gives the commander the choice of standing and fighting, with the hope of taking out more tanks, or running and getting only a few. To force this choice, you could give the players only enough long range anti tank to kill 1/3 or 1/2 the objective tanks. So men must be sent into the base to get the rest, which is very likely to result in an alarm.

Objective 1: Destroy 1/2 the tanks.
                              Objective 2: Escape
                              Objective 3 (bonus): destroy all the tanks
                              Objective 4 (bonus): destroy the enemy QRF.

Again, this is a general idea. Put your own spin on it.

one possible ALTERNATIVE VERSION: Instead of anti-tank guys, make it a scuba force stealthily approaching by water and trying to place explosives on various vehicles. The enemy quick reaction force could remain the driving mechanic. Maybe throw a boat into the QRF, which could drop enemy divers.

Focus is on reconing the objective, and planning the strike so as to maximize surprise and speed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X