The "Tactical Advance" mission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] The "Tactical Advance" mission

I've been working on a new mission... its meant to be a persistent, semi-scripted "Capture the Whole Altis Island" experience. I've implemented most of the basic functionality that I want, and I'm now starting to work on the frills. I'm hoping to have something ready to test within the next month, and I'll update progress here. At the moment I'm calling the mission "Tactical Advance" which is a bit lame but I'm sure we can come up with a cooler name before its done.

------------------

Here is the current README for "version 0":

Code:
    # Tactical Advance

*By |TG| Will*

This mission is a full island mission where two NATO squads make an amphibious landing and try to take over Altis 
    one objective at a time. The mission was made by |TG| Will for the TacticalGamer.com community. The code for
    this mission is public domain, you are free to modify and use it as you wish, however please acknowledge this original 
    mission (this one) in your documentation should you do so.

The mission features include:

- A series of progressive objectives covering 1/4 of Altis
    - Capturing an objective opens up new objectives
    - Capturing some objectives unlocks new respawn locations, ammo boxes, vehicles, etc
    - Random enemy patrols in the AO (can be switched off)
    - Random enemy counter-attacks when objectives are captured (can be switched off)
    - Lots of mission parameters to control difficulty
    - Standard TG scripts including group manager, TAW VD and TG name scripts
    - BTC logistics including lift, fast ropes and loading
    - Enemy forces are dynamically spawned and cached using the Enemy Occupation Script to reduce server load
    - Custom ammo cookoff effect on all spawned vehicles
    - Optional Zeus master / moderator to spice things up (the mission is designed to be playable without Zeus, so this is just an added extra)

On the Roadmap:

- Expand objectives to cover the whole island
    - Optional side missions which give access to special weapons
    - Additional fortifications etc around the island
    - Unlockable Mobile HQ for respawn in the field
    - Aircraft, armour and tank unlocks
    - Load mission objective state from file or debug console to recover progress after a server restart. This will involve an array of completed objective IDs - e.g. `[0, 1, 2] spawn FW_fn_loadObjectiveState`
    sigpic

Re: The "Tactical Advance" mission

Oh this has me salivating like a big old plate of nachos does.

Since you are spawning enemies using scripts, how about a parameter option to use HC for this purpose?
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Good idea Unkl.

I'm ok with setting up the parameter but pretty ignorant of how the HC works. Hopefully somebody can point me in the direction of an HC mission I can CTRL-C / CTRL-V!
      sigpic

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-mi...made-easy.html
        TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

Ah thanks Rudolf
          sigpic

Comment

For some reason ArmA 3 is crashing to desktop now on my laptop so I'm unable to test any improvements to the mission framework until I get back to my desktop. Instead I've been working on a little something to make building the missions a bit easier...

sigpic

Comment

wow what is that insanity? You own custom editor, you genius?

Comment

Something like that B :)

A quick demo:

I'm not 100% sure on the license of the map I'm using in the background and don't read French so hopefully not an issue. The map I'm using was linked in by Ratatomik on this thread.

The mission framework itself is 100% playable, however has a few bugs I want to fix before I release it. Plus it could probably use some dedicated server testing :)
                sigpic

Comment

Solo and I played a small mission last night using the framework for about an hour testing with a dedicated server. There were a few bugs but I was able to sort these out this morning so I'm saying the framework is at "version 1". I've also got to remember not to put objectives so far apart when there are no vehicles (and you are not in god mode teleporting around the map). LOTS of walking!!

I'm currently preparing a ~10 player test mission but keep thinking of features I want to add to the editor and getting distracted :)
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm still trundling along in "closed alpha" and have made a lot of updates to the editor - see http://anvilproject.com/downloads/version_2.2.html. I'm still trying to find a safely licensed Altis map then it will be good to release. At this point I can make a mission in the editor, export it, open it in the A3 editor to add a player and it runs straight away on a dedicated server. (Total editing time for a rough three objective mission about 5 minutes)

Currently I'm playing around with an SQM parser written in C# using a little tool called Sprache. This will mean that the editor could be able to read in EXISTING SQM mission files, convert them to Anvil Missions and then add/edit framework markers without overwriting things that you have made in the official ArmA 3 editor. It will also make it a lot easier to inject predefined objects in the Anvil Editor (e.g. drop in a standard TG squad / predefined ammobox with one click).
                    sigpic

Comment

Mech - I have a Royalty free version of the "real" island we might be able to use. One in high res PNG and another in vector (EPS) format. Not sure if that helps.

Comment

Hey Solo,

I've also been posting on the BI forum and sent a few PMs over there as well to see if anybody has any suggestions for an "official" one.

However it would be good to have a look at yours!
                        sigpic

Comment

Well I got a reply from one of the BI developers and all I can say is hopefully I'll be able to release something soon :)

I will ask around what's the situation with our PDF maps, and let you (and everybody here) know - we will most likely add this to the Game Content Usage Rules and/or Licenses FAQ.
                          sigpic

Comment

New features...

sigpic

Comment

jaw drop....
                              |TG-189th| Unkl
                              ArmA 3 Game Officer
                              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                              189th Infantry Brigade Member
                              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X