Requirements for a server only mod?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requirements for a server only mod?

For the Tactical Advance mission I've come across a situation where some pretty complex trigger/module arrangements are required.

For instance to have vehicle respawns I need

- An empty marker which will indicate the vehicles once activated
    - A Vehicle Respawn module
    - A Show/Hide module
    - A trigger to activate the respawn, synchronised to modules
    - A number of vehicles synchronised to the modules

This is pretty easy to put down in the A3 editor and then copy and paste to new sites, (although hiding the vehicles in MP is giving me issues) but I want Anvil to do MORE!!! The issue is with synchronisations - basically correctly allocating them across a bunch of different modules as both Anvil and the mission editor make changes is a guaranteed nightmare. I can think of a couple of ways that this could be achieved but they are mostly pretty messy and probably quite fragile.

So... finally to my question. The easiest thing from my point of view would be to have a series of modules available that could encapsulate all this respawn (or other) behaviour into a single mission entity that could be modified in both editors. Synchronisation is then a lot easier to manage as it just requires the vehicles and the custom modules to remain linked together.

To avoid client add-on installation, ideally this would be on a "server side" only (and optional so that simpler missions can still be add-on free). Does anybody know what the requirements are for building an add-on that can be installed on the server only? Is this just a matter of special server keys or is there some other config required? I've made some simple client side add-ons with modules before so not too fussed about that side of things more just the server config aspects.
    sigpic

Requirements for a server only mod?

I don't have much experience with making mods but I assume as long as the files are only accessed by the server and are placed in the servers root folder (or whatever folder the server looks in for scripts) you should be fine... In the shape of a .pbo of course.
    This is probably a bad example but if you are hosting a server client side and add scripts while in game you (the "server") have full access to those scripts while your clients haven't downloaded and can't call those scripts. I'm assuming it works the same for files placed in the server directory.
    Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

Re: Requirements for a server only mod?

on the server /anvil init.sqf load a parameter into the memory then call from client side via if is server the exec server/server.sqf init I have to look at another script that I was working on but from what I recall that maybe a viable solution.

Comment

Re: Requirements for a server only mod?

Thanks for the responses guys. Hmm seems potentially doable especially as most of the objective scripts are handled server side.

I'll have to think whether it's worth the effort... Maybe for version 10 or so of Anvil :)
        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X