Tactical Strike - bugs/missions/ideas/feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Strike - bugs/missions/ideas/feedback

In this thread we invite you to give your feedback on the Tactical Strike missions and content. I will have more information on how this project is put together. Basically there are some "lead developers" and an admin team that is running the server side. I can only post so much in a day and will return to that subject likely tomorrow.

In the meantime, tell us about your experience on Tactical Strike.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: Tactical Strike - new game style for TG Arma 3

So I tested out Operation New Born. Very fun for how far I got before I walked into an HMG. One Issue I saw was AI bouncing up and down in place. I don't know if that can be fixed or not. I think there should be more enemy patrols :) But still a good mission to play. Looking forward to play the other mission and with people. :)
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Tactical Strike - bugs/missions/ideas/feedback

I just missed the small squad missions, circa ArmA II. What a chance to revisit! Looking forward to it.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Operation Dead Stop - description says "8 man SF team" but there are only 6 players.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mecharius View Post
          Operation Dead Stop - description says "8 man SF team" but there are only 6 players.
          Right-o, adding two more players. Gong.

Edit: * Added two players (static MG)
          * moved insertion closer to informant (cut down on role play at mission start)
          * added clues
          * added nasty suprise
          * added civilians
          * added triggers for helo boarding - if your not in the helo at mission start moving around a few meters should put you in
          Last edited by Unkl; 11-18-2014, 04:05 AM.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I'd like to reveal the fella who had the concept for this style of server. Wicks pitched this to me a few weeks back and I thought it would be a great project for us to support. As far as how and what content get's delivered through Tactical Strike it will be lead by Wicks and myself. That is because the concept is designed to be restrictive compared to the Arma sandbox in order to make the game play fine tuned to a particular experience. We will be very hands on in steering that vision.

In fact, I liked the idea so much I've probably put in full time hours in the last few weeks (good thing it was vacation time) in order to develop the inital missions and get it running.

Things I'm not sold on...
            1. MEC. It's a group of mods and with some sound issues on some of the them and I'm just not happy with it. Plus, relying on so many dependencies is a bit too many variables for my liking. So, for now we will build missions using the FIA as the guerilla faction until we decide on something else for units. Eventually, MEC is getting pulled. That will happen as soon as I adjust the existing missions.
            2. It is true, there are some glitches on Bornholm. That bouncing thing happens on Operation New Born. You can walk to a particular point and start bouncing like a yoyo. Will have to see how much the map maker is able to do. It was just recently updated so I do have high hopes.

Things we need:
            1. A good m249 and other automatic weapons. Probably a good shotty as well for CQB. After removing the MEC, we will need to find new models for those weapons.
            2. I'm still working on fixing the revive script. May be looking to another solution all together on that front. However, I do like the "dead and out" idea if a medic can't get to you. May play with the AIS_Injury or other medical systems. The INS_Revive is working ok except the current missions are not restoring your gear on revive. As I say though, the whole medic issue is going to be explored over the next while.

Very much appreciate the feedback so far in TS, here and in game. Now, I can't wait for Wicks to post up in here because he does such a fine job of explaining the concept.
            |TG-189th| Unkl
            ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Ok, firstly I wanted to say a massive, just huge thank you to Unkl. Anybody can sit around spitballin ideas, trust me, without being modest I am amazing at it lol. However it takes application, forsight and hard work to make anything of them and that is where Unkl has come in and played a blinder. This has gone from a concept dear to my heart to a functioning server purely off the back of his hard work and dedication to the Community. Thank you mate.

Right, the tear jerking tributes dealt with lets get down to brass tacks. Allow me to try to lay things out in a reasonably organised fashion as it were, the progress thus far has me giddy as a school girl and I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

1) What is Tactical Strike? What is the purpose of it and why do we need another Arma based server?

I've played each iteration of Arma. Before that OFP (and the later version), Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon (even on console, I have a much cherished version of Rainbow 6 on the Nintendo 64 and that had a planning phase back then, can you imagine lol). I've played BF and its mods along with Arma and its mods competitively in PVP/TVT etc extensively. Throughout it all I have always been obsessed with realism, specifically the realistic application of combat tactics and actions. TG is something of a mecha for people like me and we are legion (I'm talking about you here). However, often times we are overlooked by developers. The games we want won't appeal to people, they are too hard, too serious etc. Now, we know this is nonsense, our community is testament to that. Nevertheless we don't control games development, more's the pity, so we have to work with what we've got.

For years I have wanted (and seen a market for) a game that contains realistic elements such as:-

- Effective real time planning
              - Realistic and effective tactics, movement and weapons handling
              - Recognisable scenarios
              - A focus on teamwork, individual discipline and the core skills you would realistically need in the given context

Now Arma 3 arrived and having followed it closely through development I was excited. The improved skeletal system, movement and weapons handling excited me. Finally Arma had seemed to conquer the grand scale stuff and begun to tackle the little details that irked once you were boots on the ground, the clunky movement and CQB of A2 (which I still prefer on some levels to the faster pasted games I play on occasion). However Arma is many things to many people, the nature of a sandbox game as it were, and one of the things it does brilliantly is massive combined arms type missions. Those type's of missions are fantastic, incredibly rewarding to play and potentially deeply immersive. There is a great opportunity in that type of play for large scale teamwork, cooperation and for those that possess the requisite skills the ability to demonstrate organisational skills under pressure. The caveat to that is those missions, that style of play places a great deal of responsibility on those shepherding the flock and they contain inherent delays, frustrations etc associated in dealing with large groups of people. In fact I imagine it's a fairly accurate simulator of the headaches of command in that way lol.

Many, many people I know really enjoy the potential of the Arma 3 engine and would dearly love a game/mode that focuses on the kind of realistic scenarios and play A3 can provide but may not always have the time and let's be frank patience for a 4 hour mission with a great deal of spin up time and equal down time. That's an issue as they aren't being served by our offerings here and more importantly there is a lot of good teamwork, knowledge, tactics and gameplay going to waste.

So, the idea kept cropping up. Can we get a game going that focuses on realistic real world scenario's with an emphasis on proper combat tactics that doesn't require an enormous commitment of time, only a solid commitment to the principles we are trying to achieve. A3 has provided that.

The core philosophy of Tactical Strike is to provide a teamwork based environment within the A3 engine that focuses on realistic combat action, teamwork and intelligence. The idea is to strip it down and speed it up and in the process teach people to have discipline, think better, faster and more effectively. To place the 'realism emphasis' on combat actions, not which radio you have etc. Please note I am not saying there is anything wrong with radio mods or other fantastic immersion increasing additions, merely that the goal of this project is to place the emphasis purely on realism and teamwork in combat actions, in essence to focus on the small stuff so you can really enjoy the peripheral stuff later. I have been frustrated in the past by the realism focus of some being directed on to something like an immersion enhancing mod whilst wondering why people are walking into my firing lane during an assualt. Do you see where I am going with this.

As such Tactical Strike is not a rival to our main Arma 3 server, it is a complementary offering. It is there to enable people who are serious about this kind of teamwork and love the Arma series but may not always have the requisite time to do the 'big army missions' that A3 does so well. It should benefit it's sister server by :-

- bringing in people that initially lacked the time available to commit to the game itself despite enjoying what it offers
              - provide a variety of A3 style content for when people want to mix it up
              - provide a training ground for all TG owners of A3. Trust me there are a ton of knowledgeable TG guys out there you probably haven't even played with yet that have A3. The net effect of bringing everyone together could be huge
              - provide an alternative style of mission that may not be appropriate to the main server particularly as regards time etc
              - provide an outlet for those players seeking the next Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six, TG style
              - drive people to Arma at TG. A great deal of work has been done by good people to build what we enjoy now, this can help capitalise on it. Someone enjoys the short, sharp, disciplined missions on the Tactical Strike server, well I'm pretty certain they may want to look at our other A3 offerings

The point of Tactical Strike is to fill a gap. A gap that is not being catered to by a combination of our current offerings and the realities of a modern playerbase. We can bridge that gap and in doing so bridge a huge gap in our community and strengthen our existing offerings.

2) What type of missions/content will Tactical Strike provide/focus on?

I've been down this road aways with Unkl before, we are of something of a like mind on this. Essentially we are looking at missions that are a cut down version of what many already play in the Arma engine, without some of the peripheral stuff that takes time. Basically we are looking for missions/content that cuts to the final third of the movie. Ideally there would be a short briefing period in game, kitting up, planning as you go, then hit the objective. The focus needs to be on making people think on their feet, being disciplined etc and then on their actions on the objective. We want people to spend more time in the thick of it focusing on how they clear an objective, how they move in concert with their fireteam or squad then they do on how to get to point A on the map or should they wait for JIP at main base etc, those are concerns for a larger scale mission. We essentially want to boil things down and capture the essence of combat actions and squad work and have people focus on the minutiae of actually operating in their given environment, to make them better 'soldiers' for want of a better phrase so they can enjoy that level of proficiency and take it with them. You nail that and everything else, whatever game you play (though I would imagine many would gravitate to the main A3 server) and everything else becomes easier, better.

So, we are looking for realistic, challenging scenarios that encourage planning and considered actions on target. Kill or capture HVY type stuff, missions that involve tracking a bomb maker perhaps, pursuit missions, plant an IR tracker on a car then follow the car by helo to a location, wait for something to happen then assault the location, clear it and secure the intel, whatever. I have a literal book of this stuff, hand written lol, sitting next to me that I will be posting up as I ham fistedly try to bring to reality.

Ok that is a massive wall of text, so sorry, got carried away. I need to take a break. Thanks for your patience if you got this far. I'll post more in the coming days and weeks and will no doubt have questions for you mission making gurus as I try to bring my chicken scratch ideas upto playable mission stauts. Thank you for your time guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post

Things we need:
                1. A good m249 and other automatic weapons. Probably a good shotty as well for CQB. After removing the MEC, we will need to find new models for those weapons.
                2. I'm still working on fixing the revive script. May be looking to another solution all together on that front. However, I do like the "dead and out" idea if a medic can't get to you. May play with the AIS_Injury or other medical systems. The INS_Revive is working ok except the current missions are not restoring your gear on revive. As I say though, the whole medic issue is going to be explored over the next while.

Very much appreciate the feedback so far in TS, here and in game. Now, I can't wait for Wicks to post up in here because he does such a fine job of explaining the concept.
                There's a few mods that port over the old ArmA 2 stuff.

US Weapons - Weapons - Armaholic - US Weapons is one of the small ones I found, but I'm assuming with Tactical Strike you want to avoid client required downloads as much as possible. However these are port overs from ArmA 2 so most of the basically use the old reload anims/issues with moving parts.

RHS: Escalation - Modules - Armaholic The opposite of that is the big boy download(1.8GBs) is the RHS Escalation. It's constantly being updated but like the the one above it uses placeholder reloads. But with this you get more in the way of factions, vehicles and attachments. There's still some bugs, scary ones where some rockets can not be heard at all by anybody but the person firing it.

I'll see what I can do and keep looking.

Edit: I gotta to learn to read stickies before I jump into the technical side. I didn't see you were already using some mods.
                Last edited by Axis_Sniper; 11-19-2014, 03:57 AM.

Comment

This is my latest edit of INS revive(Dropbox). Takes out all the extra stuff and supports non-respawn. I am not sure about the gear bug, it might be colliding with something, as it works fine on vanilla.

To make it a non-respawn mission with a mission fail upon all members being incapicated, the following is done:
                  1. In "INS_Revive/config.sqf" make list_of_respawn_locations arrays into empty arrays (Line 6):
                    Code:
                    INS_REV_CFG_list_of_respawn_locations_blufor = [];
                    INS_REV_CFG_list_of_respawn_locations_opfor = [];
                    INS_REV_CFG_list_of_respawn_locations_civ = [];
                    INS_REV_CFG_list_of_respawn_locations_guer = [];
                  2. In "INS_Revive/config.sqf" make respawn_location type variable into "BASE" (Line 60):
                    Code:
                    INS_REV_CFG_respawn_location = "BASE";
                  3. Make the mobile medical station array to be empty (Line 136):
                    Code:
                    INS_REV_CFG_medical_trucks = [];
                  4. As usual, the description.ext should have:
                    Code:
                    Respawn = "INSTANT";
                    RespawnDelay = 5;
                    respawnDialog = 0;

class RscTitles
                    {	
                    	#include "INS_revive\revive\rsctitles.hpp"	
                    };
                  5. init.sqf should have:
                    Code:
                    // JIP Check (This code should be placed first line of init.sqf file)
                    if (!isServer && isNull player) then {isJIP=true;} else {isJIP=false;};

// Wait until player is initialized
                    if (!isDedicated) then {waitUntil {!isNull player && isPlayer player};};

// INS_revive initialize
                    [] execVM "INS_revive\revive_init.sqf";
                  6. One last very important thing in the editor on the map a trigger with the following settings (for mission failure once everybody is down):
                    • Type: None
                    • Activation: None
                    • Checks: Repeatedly
                    • Present
                    • Condition:
                      Code:
                      {captive _x} count playableUnits == count playableUnits
                    • ON ACT.:
                      Code:
                      ["Fail",false,true] call BIS_fnc_endMission;

Comment

Captive....that's it! Thanks B that is a big help. I had put the "Base" object far out of the AO and the mission would end when the players repsawn and are no longer in the AO. When they are awaiting revive they are still "alive" to the mission and knowing they are setCaptive is a great tip.
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Unkl, I would like to suggest you look at STI Machineguns mod (if you haven't already) as a supplement to the RobertHammer M4/M16 mod. I have a feeling it adds a few more LMGS and MMG's than you're looking for, a total of 11 counting all variants. Its a well polished mod with all weapons having proper sounds and animations.

I can't post a link for whatever reason, but I'm sure you can find it easy enough.

Comment

I really like those STI Machine guns. Thanks for the tip. We are reviewing them now.

I've updated both the missions New Born and Nexoe Docks. They no longer rely on the @MEC group of mods so you can remove them. See the Tactical Strike announcement post to update your PWS links to the new collection.

I've also added AIS_Injury to those two missions. Going to play test it some more and see if it works for this concept any better. I did not add AIS_Injury to the Dead Stop mission so it can be compared better.
                        |TG-189th| Unkl
                        ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

New mission. Fast Delivery is an 8 player COOP. Thing is, you're undercover. You are in plain clothes and only have a pistol -- that you can holster! Escort your Intel Carrier dude to the drop point. Make sure you don't get identified by the enemy patrols. That's right, your in downtown Kavala and it is packed full of bad guys. Play your cards right and maybe you can slip past em.
                          Last edited by Unkl; 11-26-2014, 06:48 AM.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

New mission. Fast Delivery is an 8 player COOP. Thing is, you're undercover. You are in plain clothes and only have a pistol -- that you can holster! Escort your Intel Carrier dude to the drop point. Make sure you don't get identified by the enemy patrols. That's right, your in downtown Kavala and it is packed full of bad guys. Play your cards right and maybe you can slip past em.
                            Played today a few times.

Successfully completed first time with 3 players (Potatonator, Noyava, Canadave).

Replayed myself (solo) as the Informant. Basically was able to complete it ~50% of the time by being very aggressive and charging to the Objective.

I think to make more challenging without adding more EI you could define a zone or maybe multiple 'possible' houses where the objective could be. The searching aspect raises the tension and would force more interaction with EI vs just avoiding them. Also it would prevent charging to a known 'finish line'.

Also - does holstering do anything or is it just a 'aesthetic' function? As the informant it appears that on sight (from about 50m or so) EI squads attack. I am assuming this is the case with all Player classes or perhaps does holstering make you 'anonymous' for a shorter distance or something like that? That would be cool. For example unholstered you alert EI at 100M, holstered 30M....maybe not possible.

Anyways... good idea. Just needs some tweaking!

Canadave.

Comment

BTW.. I am really loving the tactical strike missions. Ie. small squad, patient gameplay, small scale objectives, less confusion and time lost coordinating a giant grandios objective. Simplified gameplay without all the lost time coordinating and kitting out endlessly. Reminds me of OFP days and the 'initial' multiplayer missions that were not so complex. Awesome option to the normal server / style. And I love the mod introduction..... seems like the right scale of mission to 'try' new mods.

Thanks
                              Dave

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...