Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

End-Game features (Revive and Group Manager)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] End-Game features (Revive and Group Manager)

As there is no official documentation and their repeated warning that these two features are in experimentation stage only, I would like to gather some info here in our home on how to use these in your missions.

There are multiple reasons why mission-devs should switch over to these BIS official features.
    1. User Interface is professional and uniform with the rest of BIS stuff. This is specially true when it comes to the group manager.
    2. Most likely they are optimized as functions and will run faster
    3. Ongoing development and improvement will come as patches come down the pipeline in terms of stability and features
    4. Easily recognized by public players as more and more missions use these BIS default features

There are multiple reasons why mission-devs should NOT switch over to these BIS official features.
    1. Just came out... Like many software, and like how they warn us that there will be problems.
    2. Revive lacks features we are used to and is very basic. There is lack of customizable parameters.

Revive
    Looks like a few lines in description.ext will do the trick although it is not fully compatible with all different possibilities of setting up a respawn parameters. OP

Small number of customization parameters are available:
    • reviveDelay - The time it takes to revive an incapacitated unit (default: 6 seconds). Having a Medikit will halve this time.
    • reviveForceRespawnDelay - The time it takes for an incapacitated unit to force their respawn (default: 3 seconds).
    • reviveBleedOutDelay - The time it takes for a unit to bleed out (default: 2 minutes).

Code:
    //description.ext

respawn = 3;
    respawnDelay = 15;
    respawnOnStart = -1;

respawnTemplates[] = {"Revive"};
    reviveDelay = 30;
    reviveForceRespawnDelay = 5;
    reviveBleedOutDelay = 600;
    Dynamic Groups

This one: two separate lines will be needed in two different files. OP

Code:
    // initServer.sqf
    ["Initialize"] call BIS_fnc_dynamicGroups;
    Code:
    // initPlayerLocal.sqf
    ["InitializePlayer", [player]] call BIS_fnc_dynamicGroups;

I am sure these methods of injecting these will change with the upcoming patches. I would hopefully update this forum topic as it does. I for one am excited that BIS is taking over the largely popular scripts and mods, and providing us with professional implementations of them.

Re: End-Game features (Revive and Group Manager)

Excellent info B! I too am excited that this may now become standardized. Can't wait to try it out!
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

awesome (but worth a sigh from myself)
      Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

Thanks B!

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Yink View Post
          awesome (but worth a sigh from myself)
          :(

You got Arma'd!

Comment

Well, after a few days of playing I am writing my review of these new features which accompanied the DLC. Be forewarned, it is not positive.

One aspect of Marksmen DLC that excited me was the vanilla revive and group manager. But as it is truly experimental these are really too immature in my opinion.

Revive for example, the customization parameters do not work. It is always default. There is no dragging or manipulation of dead bodies. Thus, I have kept the revive I put together as default in the meantime for the missions that are being updated.

Group manager has many bugs all over it. Today's gameplay, I saw people who are in the same squad is not in the same squad in the U dialog. Once initialized, all the players are put into a ungrouped category... No matter how the mission is setup in terms of preset groups, everybody do not have any groups. There are many group manager scripts that do much better job in terms of performance and functionality and customization.

I am not sure how much energy these two features will be receiving in the coming patches. Even playing the default END GAME mode did not play smoothly with 10+ players. I am behind Arma and BIS all the way without nitpicking their shortcomings. But I am leaving this to justify my reasons for keeping my revive on the missions I put out in the coming weeks.

Comment

The group manager really needs a configuration based on mission type. When Yink was working on his group manager we quickly realized that for TvT scenarios you do want all players to join an "unassigned" group and then select their teams. If someone is joining your group you want there to be a measure of deliberate intent to do so.

Now in coop missions you need to have a set structure from the hop. It makes no sense to have groups set up by the mission maker to have them scrapped by the group manager script. One of the ways you have controls on players that join is by seeing them pop up in your leader HUD and you know they have just joined your group (i.e. "Hey buddy, good to see you. We don't need a third transport pilot...can you rejoin in Bravo team please").

There should be a configuration that you select for each mission when you implement the group manager that either leaves the existing groups alone or auto-assigns everyone to an "unassigned" group for TvT missions.

Also last night, we had 3 different ways of controlling groups. Players could do so through the BIS "U" menu, and I could by the MCC interface or by using Zues. So, it's hard to say how players showing in the wrong group could only be the result of the BIS manager missing something. But at any rate, further testing on this could be needed. I did a lot of managing new players last night by just assigning them to Frosty's squad and letting him assign them after that. It probably caused some confusion as I didn't break through coms to discuss this...I just did it.
              |TG-189th| Unkl
              ArmA 3 Game Officer
              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
              189th Infantry Brigade Member
              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I see... That is probably the reason for some of the changes did not sync with everybody. Either way I have modified YGM and I think I will be using it until customization is an option for BIS group manager. I have tinkered with it quite a bit today, and the admin power is very nice to have.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this with us B. Make sure you also share your opinions with the people that are able to change the game for us.
                  TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| B View Post
                    Either way I have modified YGM and I think I will be using it until customization is an option for BIS group manager
                    [MENTION=4091]|TG| B[/MENTION] Did you get around to fixing those problems that we listed? Knowing you its probably fine but do need any help cleaning it up?

Comment

Can i get an update on the functionality on the new systems?

Comment

Group manager is active and in usage in Evolution mission and Occupation mission currently. Extended usage before the last patch resulted in multiple "dead" groups. Have not had the chance to observe it since last patch.

Vanilla revive is active in Occupation mission only. I think there is lack of logistical support like dragging etc... Also from what I observed, an explosion will definetely kill you wihle getting shot will get you incapacitated... So they are evaluating the amount of damage or how you died into account in making decision of whether you go into incapacitated state or killed completely.

Originally posted by Yink View Post
                        [MENTION=4091]|TG| B[/MENTION] Did you get around to fixing those problems that we listed? Knowing you its probably fine but do need any help cleaning it up?
                        I have not touched your system yet. I think you have to play it and see how it feels, what needs to changed... For example, the fonts are too small. Everytime a change is made the interface refreshes... When it refreshes, the selection jumps back up etc. I think YGM is active on "Squad Rally" missions.

Comment

Revie updates:
                          • As of 1.46 the revive is able to respect the custom timers that are defined in the description.ext
                          • No longer a need to respawn before the revive system kicks in as of 1.46.

Wiki page for revive

As part of the 1.48 update this system has a way for us to keep certain groups registered in the init time.
                          Wiki page for Dynamic Groups

Dynamic Groups

To keep the editor placed group structure intact at mission start:

Code:
                          // initServer.sqf
                          ["Initialize", [true]] call BIS_fnc_dynamicGroups; // Initializes the Dynamic Groups framework and groups led by a player at mission start will be registered
                          Code:
                          // initPlayerLocal.sqf
                          ["InitializePlayer", [player, true]] call BIS_fnc_dynamicGroups; // Initializes the player/client side Dynamic Groups framework and registers the player group
                          Last edited by hedgehog; 07-16-2015, 02:25 PM. Reason: General rewrite and organization.

Comment

I noticed something today. The default BI damage handling has changed. Some extra animations are added. I got shot and saw some flesh being ripped (TG revive does not simulate this). Got me into cover very fast. I also had suspicion that the way TG revive handled damage is not consistent with protective gear you wear.

So I am gonna start transitioning to default BI revive. There are a couple of problems that arise when using the BI revive:
                            1. Gear loss. Once a player respawns, the default gear is loaded. Meaning a new unit with default loadout is spawned and the players takes control of it. SHould be able to handle it with a small code
                              Code:
                              //initplayerlocal.sqf or as its own function
                              FAR_Player_Init = {
                              	player addEventHandler 
                              	[
                              		"Killed",
                              		{
                              			// Remove dead body of player (for missions with respawn enabled)
                              			_body = _this select 0;

[player, [missionnamespace, "VirtualInventory"]] call BIS_fnc_saveInventory;

[_body] spawn 
                              			{			
                              				waitUntil { alive player };
                              				_body = _this select 0;
                              				deleteVehicle _body;
                              			}
                              		}
                              	];

[player, [missionnamespace, "VirtualInventory"]] call BIS_fnc_loadInventory;
                              };

[] spawn {
                                  waitUntil { !isNull player };

[] spawn FAR_Player_Init;

// Event Handlers
                              	player addEventHandler 
                              	[
                              		"Respawn", 
                              		{			
                              			[] spawn FAR_Player_Init;
                              		}
                              	];
                              };
                            2. Dragging is disabled. I saw an intricate solution to this on a WIP mission. This is not that big of a deal. Forces the players to eliminate the threat before attempting revive anyway.

Comment

I have no idea what your talking about, but I'm sorry it didn't work out for you :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X