Mission Evolution Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Mission Evolution Review

After playing this mission today with a group i'd like to talk about what i liked about it and what i think could use a tad of tweaking. So first of all i think the mission system is nice and flows good the rank system is quite interesting. One thing i noticed big was the AI behavior the seemed to be super responsive and used many tactics i haven't seen before i don't know what it was but the enemy AI was super efficient. Even there armor especially the tanks moved in a very smart manner actually attacking you. I think with just a tad of tweaking this could be a very good mission for events.

The squad manager works well and the special features can be quite nice (medic tent etc..) It was a good mission we had except we all got wiped out by a tank and a MG.

I've noticed that it tends to make you think about the mission in a very different way after the first few runs as when the AI is this effective you have to plan your approach in a very good manner.

One issue some players seemed to experience was the game was switching weapons for them i think Noyava had this problem with the PCML and Maj.S with his MX i don't know what this issue is or how it could be fixed.

I also think that on the matter of AI some players experienced them spawning out of know where right next to them which could be a problem.

All in all this mission looks very promising and i would like to see this make its way to a event in the near future (perhaps very soon ;) )

Thank's

Re: Mission Evolution Review

The number of tanks seemed a little high - although we did have a huge number of Armored and Air assets at our disposal which we didn't use.

The AI accuracy does seem to be higher than we usual run with. That can be adapted to with practice, but it is off putting.

The absolute game breaking issue for me was the weapon bug. I have no idea what was causing it, but when I tried to use the targeting scope on the PCML it would start trying to swtich weapons in a loop. I'd see down the scope, stop aiming, start switching to rifle, switch back to PCML, look down scope. This loop would happen rapidly while I was holding down the ADS aim control (right mouse button). I also noticed my weapon status indicator would flash like it was trying to change weapons later when all I had was a MX rifle. It would flash red and the gun animation would start to lift as if starting to swap, then pop back to normal holding position. It's hard to fight lots of highly accurate enemies when you can't trust you're weapons :)

Comment

Interesting... I have not touched anything from the mission or have not really looked inside. I have not had the chance to play it extensively either. I will pass these feed-backs to the original author.

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
        The number of tanks seemed a little high - although we did have a huge number of Armored and Air assets at our disposal which we didn't use.
        this I mentioned to B and him to original mission maker
        I'll explain this: Default parameter is 5 squads, 1 mechanized and 1 tank. when you destroy or disable vehicles, they will immediately respawn in the AO at full capacity if the radio Tower is still up. So for now I suggest turning tanks to 0 or else you will be disabling tank after tank after tank.... like we did.

we can also disable ranks for vehicles so we can use them but from what I tested we cannot disable ranks for weapons (maybe I got unlucky?)

I like the mission - its persistence, enemy AAA coverage and objective locations makes it all really good as a more difficult mission. I bet it is also a great mission to run crewmen and pilot roles with
        - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

I did try to adjust the Parameters from the mission screen last night and, even when logged in as Admin, I was not able to adjust it. Perhaps this has to be done in the mission files?

I also like the persistence of the mission. However, I do not like the Rank Up to unlock assets/weapons concept. I think that punishes our friends who can't play every day for very little (or no) gain.

Comment

Mission author here, I'll answer some questions and get to work on fixes. Saw the link on the BIF thread and figured I'd drop by.

The AI accuracy does seem to be higher than we usual run with. That can be adapted to with practice, but it is off putting.

The absolute game breaking issue for me was the weapon bug. I have no idea what was causing it, but when I tried to use the targeting scope on the PCML it would start trying to swtich weapons in a loop. I'd see down the scope, stop aiming, start switching to rifle, switch back to PCML, look down scope. This loop would happen rapidly while I was holding down the ADS aim control (right mouse button). I also noticed my weapon status indicator would flash like it was trying to change weapons later when all I had was a MX rifle. It would flash red and the gun animation would start to lift as if starting to swap, then pop back to normal holding position. It's hard to fight lots of highly accurate enemies when you can't trust you're weapons :)
            The vehicles were overwhelming, so I got rid of mechanized and armor, which is now just "armor". Each vehicles that spawns is randomly chosen from an array of all available OPFOR vehicles. Armored, mechanized, and/or wheeled. In addition to this, I've recoded the OPFOR so that when an OPFOR unit is no longer combat effective, they request reinforcements from the next AO. The units will spawn and be transported by land or air to the AO. Currently, OPFOR infantry will be transported either via land trucks, which will return and disappear to the next AO, while the squad stays to defend the city, or via Air insertion or paradrop. "Armor" rolls in from the next AO as well. So you have time to prepare or even mine up the road!

The AI was a bit too good too, so I dropped their skill levels through scripting. However, you'll need to keep an eye on the difficulty profile on the server and headless client (if you're using one).

As for that last bug, I can't reproduce it but I think it has to do with the player persistence, so I disabled it by default. Please let me know if its still happening!

I did try to adjust the Parameters from the mission screen last night and, even when logged in as Admin, I was not able to adjust it. Perhaps this has to be done in the mission files?

I also like the persistence of the mission. However, I do not like the Rank Up to unlock assets/weapons concept. I think that punishes our friends who can't play every day for very little (or no) gain.
            I haven't heard about any issues with mission parameters. Please check RC7.5 and let me know if it still persists. I've also fixed the parameters that disable asset/weapon rank locks. Have fun!

If anyone is interested in providing accurate feedback or feature requests, its easiest to keep track of on GitHub via Issues.

Apparently I can't post links, but you can find all the info on the BIF thread under User Missions.

Comment

[MENTION=129022]Kolmain[/MENTION]

Thanks for the reply here and welcome to the TG forums. Any newly registered member to the forums must have a number of posts over a threshold before links are possible. This deters spammers and filters those who have an interest in sticking around and participating.

As far as the server difficulty profile, that's a good reminder to me to look at it. Sometimes they are set back to default on a BIS update so I'll revisit that today.

I know that many of our mission makers prefer to open up a mission and remove the parameters so that we are sure that a mission will run in a way that facilitates our brand of gameplay. Not sure if this was done in this case but it would not be unusual so that may not be a "bug" at all.

As a note to all: Persistence is not big on the TG list of desired mission types. It does tend to favour those that have a half day to play and punish those that can only play an hour or so at a time. So it is good news for this mission that persistence is now disabled by default.
              |TG-189th| Unkl
              ArmA 3 Game Officer
              Dean of Tactical Gamer University
              189th Infantry Brigade Member
              SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
              "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Following up - B and I played another round after my last post. I was able to adjust the parameters then. I think we just had some confusion the first time on who was/wasn't logged in as admin.

One minor note I'll give on your persistence - your auto spawn right were you left when you logged out is... problematic. We were in the AO getting beat up by the super AI when my game crashed (GPU error, nothing to do with your mission). When I joined back in the popped me right back where I was - only the room I had been in was now filled with 3 OpFor riflemen :( Needless to say I had a short life that time. I understand the desire to have gear loadouts save over time, but spawning would be better off always going back to base. Or at least having the option of Base/Your Last Known position.

The way you are describing your reinforcement handling sounds like a big improvement. I look forward to trying that out in the future.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                  [MENTION=129022]Kolmain[/MENTION]

Thanks for the reply here and welcome to the TG forums. Any newly registered member to the forums must have a number of posts over a threshold before links are possible. This deters spammers and filters those who have an interest in sticking around and participating.

As far as the server difficulty profile, that's a good reminder to me to look at it. Sometimes they are set back to default on a BIS update so I'll revisit that today.

I know that many of our mission makers prefer to open up a mission and remove the parameters so that we are sure that a mission will run in a way that facilitates our brand of gameplay. Not sure if this was done in this case but it would not be unusual so that may not be a "bug" at all.

As a note to all: Persistence is not big on the TG list of desired mission types. It does tend to favour those that have a half day to play and punish those that can only play an hour or so at a time. So it is good news for this mission that persistence is now disabled by default.

Thanks for the welcome! I understand, no worries.

Yep, server difficult profiles are always a pain. But this mission had excessively accurate AI.

Removing parameters would be a problem. You'd be better off changing the mission's default parameters, otherwise you'll be hunting for awhile. Good to know though, thank you.

In therms of persistence, the mission is designed to be persistent, but what I mean by EVO persistence is what Noyava posted bellow. When you dc/rc you get moved to your last position. But this forces the player to update their profile every second with their position and location, so it may be causing that launcher aiming bug. Then again, I can't reproduce it. This feature was set to default off. The rank required assets/weapons are from traditional Evolution, and as this is a remake, I won't be removing that. Feel free to set it to disabled, as I worked out the bug yesterday. :)
                  Following up - B and I played another round after my last post. I was able to adjust the parameters then. I think we just had some confusion the first time on who was/wasn't logged in as admin.

One minor note I'll give on your persistence - your auto spawn right were you left when you logged out is... problematic. We were in the AO getting beat up by the super AI when my game crashed (GPU error, nothing to do with your mission). When I joined back in the popped me right back where I was - only the room I had been in was now filled with 3 OpFor riflemen :( Needless to say I had a short life that time. I understand the desire to have gear loadouts save over time, but spawning would be better off always going back to base. Or at least having the option of Base/Your Last Known position.

The way you are describing your reinforcement handling sounds like a big improvement. I look forward to trying that out in the future.

thanks!
                  Thanks for the feedback. I'll leave it as is for now, but in the future I'll look to see if I can set an option.

Yeah the "realistic" reinforcements was a nice touch, and de-clutters the AO. Look out for those troop transports! For now, there's no delay. So the second you kill enough of an OPFOR squad, they send another. The "delay" becomes the travel time. I may tweak this given you guys' feedback.

See you on the battlefield!

Comment

The link to the GitHub is HERE.

The BIS discussion is HERE.
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer
                    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
                    189th Infantry Brigade Member
                    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
                    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                      The link to the GitHub is HERE.

The BIS discussion is HERE.

Thanks!

Comment

So happy to see someone remaking this.. I can't wait to dig in deeper with it. Thank you Kolmain
                        Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by Dizlor View Post
                          So happy to see someone remaking this.. I can't wait to dig in deeper with it. Thank you Kolmain

Its my pleasure Dizlor, thanks to people like you for supporting me! It's much more fun to put loads of time into designing this when I know people enjoy it. Would you guys be up for doing a scheduled group session to test some things with me?

Comment

Originally posted by Kolmain View Post
                            Its my pleasure Dizlor, thanks to people like you for supporting me! It's much more fun to put loads of time into designing this when I know people enjoy it. Would you guys be up for doing a scheduled group session to test some things with me?
                            Hey Kolmain if you want to sometime I'd be more than happy to test somethings with ya.

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| Connor View Post
                              Hey Kolmain if you want to sometime I'd be more than happy to test somethings with ya.

I'd be down to play whenever I have the time but I was thinking if you want to gather some people to really test it out with higher play numbers (20+), that would be both fun and helpful.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X