Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COOP Vehicles - Should we have an auto-populator script?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COOP Vehicles - Should we have an auto-populator script?

[MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION] will like this one....

<admin hat off>
    Whereas enemy AI within ArmA 3 will not take initiative to target an empty vehicle belonging to the opposing force and,

whereas players get used to dropping vehicles off "outside" areas of operation knowing they will be safe and,

whereas players even get used to hopping out of a vehicle to exploit this fact to artificially preserve the vehicle,

therefor be it resolved that TacticalGamer mission devs consider implementing an auto populator script that would detect any empty friendly vehicles and place a friendly unit inside it (i.e. in the cargo preferably) so that enemy AI would naturally attempt to destroy the assets of the opposing force.

What say you?
    Yes, we don't respect the value of the MRAP!
    40.00%
    No, I don't wanna guard the MRAP while you all have fun!
    26.67%
    Unkl is just being silly again....ignore him and he will move on to something else in a few seconds.
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

|TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: COOP Vehicles - Should we have an auto-populator script?

I would love to see this implemented. I usually try to park my vehicle inside compounds near buildings to hide them, it would be nice to have it actually matter : )

Comment

I just love how I can choose more than one answer . . . . Silly Solo . . . . . Tricks are for kids . . . WAKE UP!!!

Here is one issue - if no one stays to guard it, if no one is at "base" to handle ex-fil, then you run the risk of walking home . . . or does that matter??

And . . . . if we leave it far enough away (like in the real world) we run the risk of not being "in a firefight" for many more moments of the mission . . . . and that's a bad thing??

In the end it's kind of only fair . . . I mean we target their empty vehicles all the time . . . .;-)

Solo

Comment

There must be a middle ground here. It's not unreasonable to think that some vehicles parked outside the AO are acceptable but if players are using the enemies indifference as an exploit that should be eliminated.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
          There must be a middle ground here. It's not unreasonable to think that some vehicles parked outside the AO are acceptable but if players are using the enemies indifference as an exploit that should be eliminated.
          Are you Canadian? You sound so Canadian all of a sudden. :D

Oh, and boogalooga ramma lamma fa fa ma. (had to be silly a lil)

But seriously, there has to be a balance like you say. Now how could we do that? What would that look like? Do you leave it to mission makers to use or don't use the script? (that would never entirely go away) Is there a way us mission makers can set some kind of parameters to control this kind of behavior? What would determine an exploitative situation from an excessively mil-sim role play situation?
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Thank you for making that look like legislation. :)
            The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I am against anything that is a loop of checking. Something as large as checking all the vehicle assets in a time interval will hinder with performance.

The idea and the purpose is valid. I myself am guilty for taking advantage of this small fact.

So I am not sure. I think the implementation details will sway me.

Comment

How could it be done without looping?
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

if MRAP1 && MRAP2 is destroyed, spawn 1?
                  (i'm not a coder)

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/...andlers#GetOut

Is that any help?
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Originally posted by |TG| B View Post
                      I am against anything that is a loop of checking. Something as large as checking all the vehicle assets in a time interval will hinder with performance.

The idea and the purpose is valid. I myself am guilty for taking advantage of this small fact.

So I am not sure. I think the implementation details will sway me.

hmm depends on loop time. you could space small commands every few seconds with a full function loop being around 30 seconds (or w/e). a whole big search function would definitely spike the server but it would definitely not mind a few every couple seconds.

also (these are untested as usual w/ me),
                      Code:
                      //hi
                      //_script = [(vehicle),side] call this_function;

if (!isserver) exitWith {};

_veh	= this select 0;
                      _side 	= this select 1;

while (alive _veh) do
                      {
                      	waitUntil {((count (crew _veh))==0)};

_temp = createGroup _side;
                      	_unit = _temp createUnit ["SoldierWB", [0,0,0], [], 0, "NONE"];
                      	_unit moveInCargo _veh;

waitUntil {((count (crew _veh))>1)};

doGetOut _unit;
                      	deleteVehicle _unit;
                      };

alternate (eventhandlers),
                      Code:
                      _veh addEventHandler 
                      [
                      	"GetIn",
                      	{
                      		if ((count (crew (_this select 0)))>=2) then
                      		{
                      			doGetOut (((_this select 0) getVariable "Crew") select 1);
                      			deleteVehicle (((_this select 0) getVariable "Crew") select 1);
                      		};
                      		(_this select 0) setVariable ["Crew",["Manned"]];
                      	}
                      ];
                      Code:
                      _veh addEventHandler 
                      [
                      	"GetOut",
                      	{
                      		if ((count (crew (_this select 0)))==0) then
                      		{
                      			_temp = createGroup (side (_this select 2));
                      			_unit = _temp createUnit ["SoldierWB", [0,0,0], [], 0, "NONE"];
                      			_unit moveInCargo (_this select 0);	
                      			(_this select 0) setVariable ["Crew",["Unmanned",_unit]];
                      		};
                      	}
                      ];
                      ill also try to look at ways for AI to attack empty vehicles, when i get my new build parts next week (stupid newegg)
                      Last edited by Yink; 06-23-2015, 02:03 AM.
                      Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

If we implement this we will end up with people baby sitting their vehicles or 2km walks because we don't want to lose our transport. If we want to play as infantry and get the best infantry gameplay we should be able to leave our vehicles behind for the sake of gameflow, easy JIP transport and playability for low player count. If we want to deal with the issue off people hopping out of vehicles give the AI more AT or maybe just rpg's. RPG's will not stop flying or turn away from their target when someone hops out. They will just hit the vehicle and damage/ destroy it.

P.S. abusing game mechanics like hopping out of vehicles is coverd in the primer primer.
                        Last edited by woesterudolf; 06-23-2015, 07:05 AM.
                        TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

I voted no. But I do think that there are missions that would benefit from such a script. Like a convoy mission where you deliver supplies to a forward base. I will add more when I get a break later.
                          |TG-189th| Unkl
                          ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                            Are you Canadian? You sound so Canadian all of a sudden. :D

Oh, and boogalooga ramma lamma fa fa ma. (had to be silly a lil)

But seriously, there has to be a balance like you say. Now how could we do that? What would that look like? Do you leave it to mission makers to use or don't use the script? (that would never entirely go away) Is there a way us mission makers can set some kind of parameters to control this kind of behavior? What would determine an exploitative situation from an excessively mil-sim role play situation?
                            Originally posted by Unkl View Post
                            I voted no. But I do think that there are missions that would benefit from such a script. Like a convoy mission where you deliver supplies to a forward base. I will add more when I get a break later.
                            Attach that function to like an MLRS or some VIV, something of high strategic importance, for mission's sake (not to all of our hunters and quad bikes). Tell me if you need more scriptz cuz I'm bored.
                            Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

I think the results of this poll and the posts above are very encouraging. We all know that jumping out of the vehicle because the enemy helo won't attack your vehicle without a player in it is an exploit. However, we also know that for the sake of gameplay not all transportation in missions needs to be "role-played" to the degree that we have players guarding an asset where they can expect no action.

I think this discussion clearly opens the door for some more interesting mission scenarios where guarding a vehicle could be really part and parcel of a great spec ops mission.

How about a VIP rescue where the exfil vehicle can't just be safe by jumping out of it. A 4 man team must provide security around the vehicles while another team starts a diversionary attack and another team moves in to secure the VIP.

How about a convoy mission where you deliver the supplies to the FOB? You must keep that truck safe!

What can you think of?
                              |TG-189th| Unkl
                              ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X