New Mission Idea - Insurgency 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mission Idea - Insurgency 2.0

I had entirely too much free time and no access to my PC this weekend. Naturally I spent my spare brain cycles thinking about ArmA :)

So here is my general idea: Make an insurgency style mission that's more dynamic and focused, while retaining at least most of the open, "play how you want" feeling. I propose by adding single "hot spots" to the map at time, some what similar to the ever popular

I'd consider adding a time limit to react to the hotspot, but I'm worried that undermines the open game play too much.

Mission outline
    - Primary Objective, find and destroy 5-10 weapon caches on island

- Entirely possible to patrol and find them - but it's BIG island.

- Lightly defended but heavily and rapidly reinforced if attacked. That way they'll be harder to find, but not harder to take.

- Secondary Objective, combat the insurency and collect intel:

- Insurgent Activity flares up at randomly selected locations. 45-60 minute window to respond and defeat insurgents. Then cycles to another hotspot.

- Insurgent strike can be a city, factory, base, etc. Really any

- Basically just a 10-20 grid area occupied by insurgents. Might be nice to be able to scale area by player count.

- If defeated cache Intel collected from insurgent commander of the raid.

- Random insurgent patrols around AO
    - IEDs in and around AO

Player Assets:

- Full Arsenal for NATO gear.

- Huron MHQ and HEMMIT MHQ available to set up FOB near hot spot.

- Group/Mission commander can pull assets from vehicle spawn point at base.

- Limits number of vehicles on the map at a time.
    - If possible implement a ticket or supply point system so 1 MBT costs more than a single MRAP. That way game play can be totally flexible without the mission descending into a free for all.

- Limited number of Air Assets - 1 LittleBird, 1 Ghosthawk. Assets re-set when AO completed?

Re: New Mission Idea - Insurgency 2.0

No Wipeouts? 0/10. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hummel View Post
      No Wipeouts? 0/10. :)
      LOL. I think this post points to an element that Insurgency should be there for. One of the reasons I did add the civilians is so that there is a good reason to not carpet bomb the population into submission. Of course at the moment the civilians don't seem to care much that there is a firefight going on while they go about their shopping.

But that is one of the reasons that high powered air support is not available unless dished out by an admin in the current Insurgency.

To the OP > I really like this idea Noyava. This would allow for exactly the kind of gameplay we were looking for out of the Insurgency mission. I'm 100% down with opening up a team approach to developing this idea. It would allow for variety in teams and also not allow for too many fights happening that would bog the server down.

The only thing that I don't like is losing the scale-able aspect being player choice. Two nights ago Experiment lead a totally exhilarating attack on a hill top compound flanked by two known enemy positions. We used mortars and GMG to try to keep from getting over run but were still close to wiped on many occasions. It was just soo much fun.

I think we may lose this ability with limiting the playable areas. That being said there is a need for a freshening of the mission for sure.

Another consideration is to reduce the size of the largest contested areas so that they are in fact manageable with 20-40 players. Getting into Kavala is just too resource heavy on the server without the Dedicated Client to handle the AI processing. I will be reducing the grid areas out there to allow it to become a playable area in the short term. In fact, I'm even considering if it is possible to have this done automatically and randomly by the server each mission start. This again, creates fresh content each mission restart.

Please continue this brain storm all...
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      Dean of Tactical Gamer University
      189th Infantry Brigade Member
      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Funny enough I can exploit it by grabbing a few quadrotor drones and put them on different parts of the Island, then scan around with loooong object vd :) Maybe we should actually remove drones, statics etc and focus more on being just assault infantry.
        I like the idea of randomization and sweeping a whole area rather than a 100x100m zone that turns blue... feels so unreal to stop searching houses because of that.
        ... or maybe we need not change anything at all.
        - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
          Mission outline
          - Primary Objective, find and destroy 5-10 weapon caches on island

- Entirely possible to patrol and find them - but it's BIG island.

- Lightly defended but heavily and rapidly reinforced if attacked. That way they'll be harder to find, but not harder to take.
          Yes

- Secondary Objective, combat the insurency and collect intel:

- Insurgent Activity flares up at randomly selected locations. 45-60 minute window to respond and defeat insurgents. Then cycles to another hotspot.
          If that 45-60 minute window is not activated by a player. It cycles to another hotspot <-like this very much

- Insurgent strike can be a city, factory, base, etc. Really any

- Basically just a 10-20 grid area occupied by insurgents. Might be nice to be able to scale area by player count.
          Yes, simulates given intel by higher. Rather than guesswork.

- If defeated cache Intel collected from insurgent commander of the raid.
          Yes, yes! A bonus intelligence feature if the Insurgent commander is captured and pulled intelligence off him. If killed, no bonus, no intel.

- Random insurgent patrols around AO
          - IEDs in and around AO
          IED's should be large enough to be spotted, if we get too 'realistic.' It will not be fun at all. Imagine ARMA AP mines...very deadly and very small to spot.

Player Assets:

- Full Arsenal for NATO gear.

- Huron MHQ and HEMMIT MHQ available to set up FOB near hot spot.

- Group/Mission commander can pull assets from vehicle spawn point at base.

- Limits number of vehicles on the map at a time.
          - If possible implement a ticket or supply point system so 1 MBT costs more than a single MRAP. That way game play can be totally flexible without the mission descending into a free for all.

- Limited number of Air Assets - 1 LittleBird, 1 Ghosthawk. Assets re-set when AO completed?
          There should be penalty for disregard of assets at base. But once the mission cycles (45-60minute window). The asset pool, resets.
          As for strike capabilities via air, that can be added by the admin as per request from mission commander or etc.

Relocation of current base could be better served by having it at the main airport centrally located in the map.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

At this point we should just call this mission idea for what it is.

Domi.

=)

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I'll re-read and reply to all this tomorrow.

One thought i want to put down before I forget it:

what if we make the hot zone a 10 by 10 are with in which 30-40 of the grids are occupied at random? That way we might still be able to get scenarios where a central cluster of squares is supported by smaller groups around it?

Alternatively, perhaps some sort of randomized reinforcements of the hot zones could be set up to keep the action form boiling down to just clear Square A to B to C, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
                At this point we should just call this mission idea for what it is.

Domi.

=)
                What is Domi? Dominos?

What I want to make is Hearts and Minds without all the roleplay elements that made it unwieldy.

Comment

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22591

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Dimi, This looks better: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23239

I will definitely explore these for further idea to steal.

Comment

Im not a fan of Domination to be honest.

I like your idea though.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

how about random grids over the entire map if thats even possible to make and make them none-visible on the map, meaning you have to patrol the map and mark up/report what's been patrolled and at what time, you'd never know where you get hit or the intensity - and then the primary mission being destroying the caches
                        - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

What is Domi? Dominos?
                          I feel like I'm showing my age here. You must be what, 34 years old?

Kids these days...
                          Last edited by Dimitrius; 01-04-2016, 04:02 PM. Reason: ...because some may not know Noyava and I are the same age.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X