TFAR Userconfig Folder on Server is no longer supported

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFAR Userconfig Folder on Server is no longer supported

This means that any missions that use TFAR must add custom variables to the init.sqf in order to ensure that we have a standard deployment of how it behaves across all of our missions. This would require that every single mission on the server get edited.

When TFAR starts up it assigns different frequencies to different groups. We normally have this handled in two locations:
    1. The userconfig folder
    2. Each missions init.sqf

The userconfig folder is not longer supported in 1.58 of A3. Here are the settings it had:
    Code:
    tf_no_auto_long_range_radio = 1;
    TF_give_personal_radio_to_regular_soldier = 0;
    TF_give_microdagr_to_soldier = 1;
    tf_same_sw_frequencies_for_side = 1;
    tf_same_lr_frequencies_for_side = 1;
    tf_same_dd_frequencies_for_side = 1;
    Here is the lines from the init.sqf we have in many of our missions:
    Code:
     //TaskForceRadio controls
    //Stop spawning new long range radios
    tf_no_auto_long_range_radio = true;
    //Give out personal radios
    TF_give_personal_radio_to_regular_soldier = false;

//Same frequencies for everyone
    tf_same_sw_frequencies_for_side = true;
    tf_same_lr_frequencies_for_side = true;

tf_defaultWestBackpack = "tf_rt1523g_big"; tf_defaultWestPersonalRadio = "tf_anprc152"; tf_defaultWestRiflemanRadio = "tf_rf7800str"; tf_defaultWestAirborneRadio = "tf_anarc210";
    tf_defaultEastBackpack = "tf_rt1523g_big"; tf_defaultEastPersonalRadio = "tf_anprc152"; tf_defaultEastRiflemanRadio = "tf_rf7800str"; tf_defaultEastAirborneRadio = "tf_anarc210";
    tf_defaultGuerBackpack = "tf_rt1523g_big"; tf_defaultGuerPersonalRadio = "tf_anprc152"; tf_defaultGuerRiflemanRadio = "tf_rf7800str"; tf_defaultGuerAirborneRadio = "tf_anarc210";
    Now last night with this exact mission we had players who could not talk on the same channels because they were on different freq ranges despite the short range frequencies being set to be the same. I will pull TFAR off the server and test more settings within a mission to figure out what we would need to do to make this work for anything we might do with it in the future.

What is so weird is that tf_same_sw_frequencies_for_side = true; is in the init.sqf of the mission!!! What could cause this??

For now, TFR is off on both servers so we don't have coms issues.
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: TFAR Userconfig Folder on Server is no longer supported

I noticed this in Shawn's mission we played after 1.58... You said that all the TFR stuff is in the mission. After the Shawn's mission we played one of mine which uses a bit different TFR handling than yours. If I am remembering correctly, the TFR on that mission was working fine. This is definetely worth a try and a good test. Take a mission that had messed up comms and change the way the TFR is handled and see if it becomes ok. If it does, template should be changed.

The following code goes into initServer.sqf meaning the server is the only one responsible for making sure all clients have same values:
    Code:
    //--------------------------------------------TFR handling--------------------------------------------------
    is_mod_tfr_enabled = isClass(configFile/"CfgPatches"/"task_force_radio");
    publicVariable "is_mod_tfr_enabled";

if (is_mod_tfr_enabled) then
    {
    	publicVariable "tf_no_auto_long_range_radio";

TF_give_personal_radio_to_regular_soldier = true;
    	publicVariable "TF_give_personal_radio_to_regular_soldier";

publicVariable "tf_same_sw_frequencies_for_side";

publicVariable "tf_same_lr_frequencies_for_side";

TF_give_microdagr_to_soldier = false;
    	publicVariable "TF_give_microdagr_to_soldier";	
    };
    I noticed some those frequency assigning and radio assigning codes do not work anymore... So I am only using those that are minimally necessary... According to the author and those who use this mod, there is definite obsolescence of the mod with the new updates to the game and the TS. The author promises to update as soon as possible to fix them.

Now personally, I had problems with this freaking mod everytime I tried to set it up. Because of all the extra work needed to make it work on my missions, I have grown negative feelings towards the mod. There is a stigma with in game VON and natural and instinctive reaction of players is always "Ugh, VON". I hope this stigma goes away as we use more and more of VON, because I prefer VON for its inclusiveness and simplicity.

Comment

B, the above code confuses me because why check if TFR is enabled locally and then declare the variables to be public. If you wanted to do this and make them public why not do it once on the server only? They will still have no effect to anyone not running TFR the way I'm seeing it.

And you are setting the variable is_mod_tfr_enabled to be true on every single client. This will throw errors when the arsenal script tries to throw up the addAction and they attempt to get a radio from those addActions.

Code:
      if (isServer) then
      {
      	//TaskForceRadio controls
      	TF_give_personal_radio_to_regular_soldier = true;
      	tf_give_microdagr_to_soldier = false;
      	//publicVariable the TFR stuffs
      	publicVariable "tf_no_auto_long_range_radio";
      	publicVariable "TF_give_personal_radio_to_regular_soldier";
      	publicVariable "tf_same_sw_frequencies_for_side";
      	publicVariable "tf_same_lr_frequencies_for_side";
      	publicVariable "tf_give_microdagr_to_soldier";
      	tf_defaultWestBackpack = "tf_rt1523g_big"; tf_defaultWestPersonalRadio = "tf_anprc152"; tf_defaultWestRiflemanRadio = "tf_rf7800str"; tf_defaultWestAirborneRadio = "tf_anarc210";
      	tf_defaultEastBackpack = "tf_rt1523g_big"; tf_defaultEastPersonalRadio = "tf_anprc152"; tf_defaultEastRiflemanRadio = "tf_rf7800str"; tf_defaultEastAirborneRadio = "tf_anarc210";
      	tf_defaultGuerBackpack = "tf_rt1523g_big"; tf_defaultGuerPersonalRadio = "tf_anprc152"; tf_defaultGuerRiflemanRadio = "tf_rf7800str"; tf_defaultGuerAirborneRadio = "tf_anarc210";
      	publicVariable "tf_defaultWestBackpack";
      	publicVariable "tf_defaultEastBackpack";
      	publicVariable "tf_defaultGuerBackpack";
      };
      |TG-189th| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Game Officer
      "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Aaah those, This is something I have had for a long time and never really changed. Now I check it on server because I was also releasing the missions on workshop to the public. Their server might have TFR or they may not...
        I think I also check if the client has TFR and has totally different handling on the client side.

is_mod_tfr_enabled public-ing this is not necessary. I agree.

Comment

I think there is an issue with this line:
          Code:
          _is_tfr_enabled_locally = isClass(configFile/"CfgPatches"/"task_force_radio");
          Since we are not using the userconfig folder anymore and we are not allowing file patching on the server...wouldn't this be the source of our problems with TFR not giving us our short range radios automatically?
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Only code I use for handling TFAR is inside initServer.sqf with or without this check needed. A few variables and making them publicVariable. That is all. My missions which I played yesterday did not have this trouble with the SR radio not adding automatically.

SR radio replacement happens on the mod side. Not from our scripting side.
            Last edited by hedgehog; 05-18-2016, 08:20 AM. Reason: softer language.

Comment

Can you send me one of your latest missions zipped up?...pboView won't open them from my new HD/OS.
              |TG-189th| Unkl
              ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

I am sending this one so that the new zeus login system is also in there.
                https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5kjomxkam..._dbe1.zip?dl=0

Since I have seen the older method of whitelisting zeus I would like to leave instructions on how to add the newer system to Unk's template:
                1. copy the function fn_zeusAddAction.sqf (inside functions/client folder) and copy it into your TG folder in your template.

2. Then inside the CfgFunctions.hpp declare it with the following line along with the other functions:
                Code:
                class zeusAddAction{};
                3. Edit the fn_tgInit.sqf to add the following line to call it:
                Code:
                call TG_fnc_zeusAddAction;

Now back to your original question since I got a chance to refresh how things are handled:
                Code:
                _is_tfr_enabled_locally = isClass(configFile/"CfgPatches"/"task_force_radio");
                This code is necessary so that people without TFR do not see the addActions for the get long range radio on the ammoboxes. And should be only run on the initPlayerLoca.sqf file. This variable is only set right before adding the addactions to some kind of ammobox for my missions. This variable is not used anywhere else. Short Range radio is added to player's inventory automatically via the mod.

The important lines for TFR to function with the same frequencies would be in the initServer.sqf (lines 12-25).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X