Takistani Tasks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takistani Tasks

Did this mission up yesterday & we had a fun play though which took up my whole Sunday. This morning I've made some major changes...

- added second MHQ for forward deployment
    - rebuilt all player slots with custom ammo for each kit, increased to 2 full squads plus the platoon elements, is now 40 players instead of 23
    - added FARP reload, repair & refuel script (plus Ammo Truck work around for vehicles that don't correctly report allTurrets)
    - removed ALiVE player tags and added ours back in

Minor adjustments:
    - reoriented friendly fortifications to face correct directions
    - fixed up asset markers to run better
    - removed TFAR module which was causing error yesterday
    - custom loadouts removed coloured smoke except for roles which should need them (this should help with CAS)
    - you don't have to be a pilot to drive a parachute (bad bug with fsm vehicle script)

Expectation - players won't be using the Combat Support Tablet without consent from the current mission leader
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: Takistani Tasks

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
    Did this mission up yesterday & we had a fun play though which took up my whole Sunday. This morning I've made some major changes...

- added second MHQ for forward deployment
    - rebuilt all player slots with custom ammo for each kit, increased to 2 full squads plus the platoon elements, is now 40 players instead of 23
    - added FARP reload, repair & refuel script (plus Ammo Truck work around for vehicles that don't correctly report allTurrets)
    - removed ALiVE player tags and added ours back in

Minor adjustments:
    - reoriented friendly fortifications to face correct directions
    - fixed up asset markers to run better
    - removed TFAR module which was causing error yesterday
    - custom loadouts removed coloured smoke except for roles which should need them (this should help with CAS)
    - you don't have to be a pilot to drive a parachute (bad bug with fsm vehicle script)

Expectation - players won't be using the Combat Support Tablet without consent from the current mission leader

Played the crap out of this over the weekend. Lots of fun with Wilco, Snyder, B, Dylan etc....

Some quick feedback...

- Very few IED's... in fact never saw one. I've read in the Alive forums it takes time before they start to populate. Our sessions were 2-3 hours from mission startup so maybe this improves- but we didn't see one.

- Holding Territory. Clearing areas is fun. Interacting with Civ's to get intel works well forcing 'rapid' map marking (Wilco is an expert). Unclear how cleared territory can be held by BLUFOR without leaving a player in the area. Once our squad cleared and left an area a slow transition to RED would occur. Perhaps calling in logistics for static BLUFOR once an area is cleared works? Wilco and I played with AI convoys and Infantry to try to defend cleared grids - mixed results.

- EI Density - felt OK, perhaps a little light for our squad size (4-8 people). Not sure if Alive dynamically adjusts for player count or... ? Could be heavier

We tried many of the Alive features that all seem to work as advertised.

- Logistics - works as advertised. This module enables asset delivery by AI resources for FOB and resupply. Convoys don't stick to roads, will engage enroute but only briefly proceeding to destination. AI crew will de-crew on arrival if EMPTY not specified during request. Air drops and heli insertions of assets by AI works well. Watch for the wind on air drops as parachute opening altitude is quite high. AI landing for heli asset insertion also works well avoiding obstacles - they even landed at our mountain top FOB. Moving unloaded objects requires great care as they an injure and kill players on collision.

- Combat Support - mixed results for CAS and arty. CAS seems to be only somewhat effective but ai behavior is sporatic (lingering over hot zone getting shot down). Arty precision is off quite a bit (50-100M) - really only useful for area coverage (not precision strike). did not try guided munitions so not sure if they are better. Transport works great - awesome feature for low squad count and/or no pilot.

- Intel - Imagery from squad deployed drones or AI assets (logistics chopper) works sporadically. For example was able to join server and pull up view from Wilco's darter across the map but could not get to work later in mission. Was not able to figure out unit marking or other functions in the Intel section.

Overall great features available with alive. Tweaking required - but it seems everyone was having fun.

Thanks Unkl.

Comment

Playing on and off and getting some testing in on the Alive tablet(sorry for all the AI spawn) i noticed a few things.

-Clearing areas. Yesterday we tested alot of clearing ares of the map, changing every grid in the area of the Airbase to green. However, when we revisited those areas later on multiple fire teams had moved in to the area and were taking up the same positions as the original AI we cleared out (RB's, checkpoints, even same compounds). I did notice that the new AI were mostly AAF Guerillas, but they were actively respawning once we left the area. At one point we sent a convoy to the far south west side of the map and followed them via hunter to see how they handled it. once we got to the far end we drove back on the same route and were ambushed on a road we cleared just 5 minutes before by a fresh spawn. just outside the air base. The fresh respawns were also manning any undestroyed static guns at those positions.

-As CanaDave said, arty is all but useless. I would have to test some more but it seems to land 100m long every time.

-during a mass respawn it seems to want to kick players from the insertion helo dropping them off at the edge of the map and forcing them to respawn again after the cool down timer. I think this has to do with it trying to place multiple players in the same seat and forcing them out. If they respawn while Helo is in-route then it will place them in a open seat. (source: entire 6 man team killed by our A-10.)

-This may seem unpopular, but i would suggest the removal or restriction of the Wipeout. Playing most of the day yesterday we only came across a single mounted vehicle and no hard targets that necessitated the use of the Wipeout. The Pawnee is more then adequate to provide CAS for this level of enemy interaction, and the Alive support can cover everything beyond that.

-EI density was light for the most part, but a few areas became pretty heavy around roadblocks. Then again, we didn't go for the mission area at all so maybe we didn't force the AI to spawn heavier targets. With what we were just doing yesterday it was actually kind of nice to be moving around doing mundane clearing with zero contacts then find our selves in the middle of 2-3 squads and enemies in buildings. The idea that not every village or bush is filled with enemy, but knowing that they could be, adds a level excitement.

-Logistics- We played around a bit last night with the various support types and i didn't learn til the end of the night that we could actually use the alive tablet and tell any unit move along set way points. However, initial test showed that it was a 50/50 chance of success of the unit actually moving to the way point or running around the control tower for 20 minutes.

-Alive tablet is a nice feature, i feel like it should be restricted to certain roles such as squad or fire team leaders in the arsenal. This may avoid some levels of abuse.

All in all, it's a fun mission and i'm impressed how much there is with just a few days of work. Thanks Unkl

Comment

Originally posted by B_Wilco View Post
        This may seem unpopular, but i would suggest the removal or restriction of the Wipeout. Playing most of the day yesterday we only came across a single mounted vehicle and no hard targets that necessitated the use of the Wipeout. The Pawnee is more then adequate to provide CAS for this level of enemy interaction, and the Alive support can cover everything beyond that.
        Pawnee is defenseless against heavy calibre and over-the-shoulder AA. You'll find your CAS pilots easily frustrated with providing useful support while staying at a range outside of AA locks and .50 fire.

When I played with Unkl on Sunday, I was in a Wipeout and everyone still managed to die. The Wipeout is not an EZ mode asset soley on virtue of its payload. It still requires a decent pilot and good communication between pilot and ground team. Restriction is unnecessary, I flew for a couple hours and only used guns (even when I had many chances to use air-to-ground/unguided rocket pods).

EDIT: As an addition to my remarks about restriction, a good pilot will know when to use what weapons. The 30mm GAU can destroy anything and everything in the game. Unguided rockets (HE/Anti-personnel) are used for static targets or large groups of infantry. ATGMs are used for heavy armor when you don't want to take the time or get close to your target (useful against ZSU's) to use your guns. GBU's can be dumb-dropped, but are best used when you have a lot of time and the skies are safe from AAA.

It's up to the leader to decide when the Wipeout goes up and who flies it. If the CO knows the person and their flying capability, he can have confidence that person will follow orders and keep that asset safe to the best of his ability.

Comment

Great feedback! Thank you guys.

I agree that there is something off about the lack of IED's so I must have messed up a setting. That I'll look at very soon for sure...that and every civilian that was wearing a suicide vest never seemed to be a threat...so yeah that's gotta be something I did or didn't get right.

I have a suspicion that the artillery inaccuracy may be due to the map itself. It always seemed to be about 100m off so I'm wondering if it's 100m off the same direction all the time. Will have to try this out on Altis and see if it is the same result. Perhaps the AiA Takistan was a little different than the grids on this CUP version?

The command tablet will very much be restricted in the future. I wanted to leave this version of the mission wide open so that players get it in their hands and learn what it is capable of. The more that know and the more that test, the better feedback we will get. How to restrict access to it is another question altogether. My first instinct is to leave it to TG regulars to be grown-ups about it and we should not have an issue. This would be the same for air assets...

...and on that point, we had a guest on last night who is not familiar with our way of running CAS. I didn't want to be a total control freak about it but I also didn't want a plane flying overhead engaging unconfirmed targets. There is civilians. Anyway, we got it sorted out eventually but I do long for a better way to restrict pilots on a large mission like this. Right now, there is no class restriction so that all classes can "pilot" a parachute. I'd really love to see some manual HALO insertion ops!! We will get that vehicleRestriction fsm file edited and go back to only crewmen in tanks and pilots in air assets soon I hope.

I like the Wipeout and the Pawnee. Both have their appropriate uses. May even put the Blackhawk in once the restrictions are in. It is always up to leadership when & how these assets are used. Honestly I used the Wipeout last night only to be kind to a guest. We really were not doing any tasks that required CAS and it only made us ineffective because I wasn't leading my 4 man team effectively while trying to communicate with our guest pilot. So, having assets like this really depends on our regulars to be around or skilled CAS pilots from like minded communities. This however, is a separate issue which I'd like to help get our community used to using CAS appropriately. (Read we need practice together and TGU to help out fellas)

The respawn bug is unfortunate. I'll need some more info on TS perhaps so I can understand exactly what you guys saw as far as the auto helo insertion upon respawn in a group. There easily should be 6 seats in that Ghosthawk.

Now...the enemy will reinforce their positions. I set that as a parameter. They don't have unlimited resources, but they will retake ground. Cleared areas are not magically off limits to enemies if not defended. Hey, we don't have the manpower to be everywhere. Welcome to fighting an insurgency backed by CSAT forces.

I don't intend to use AI friendly forces to reinforce our positions. I will be removing that ability once I get that sorted out. I'm not a fan of controlling Arma ai. We do have access to autonomous static weapons ;) Will have to wait & see how that works out.

I also don't like to remove all armour. There appears to be no simple way to limit the size of armour groups. I can limit the number of groups of armour but 1 group can be a tank platoon of 4X T-100's. That is a little much for a small group but then again....players have two choices. Either hit & run, use your CAS, avoid the area until you have more players, find their patrol patterns and lay a mine trap for them, ....ok so there are as many options as you have imagination for I guess.

***Note: I put everything in here and plan to start restricting and creating solutions based on your feedback & suggestions so keep it coming!
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Originally posted by Hummel View Post
            Pawnee is defenseless against heavy calibre and over-the-shoulder AA. You'll find your CAS pilots easily frustrated with providing useful support while staying at a range outside of AA locks and .50 fire.

When I played with Unkl on Sunday, I was in a Wipeout and everyone still managed to die. The Wipeout is not an EZ mode asset soley on virtue of its payload. It still requires a decent pilot and good communication between pilot and ground team. Restriction is unnecessary, I flew for a couple hours and only used guns (even when I had many chances to use air-to-ground/unguided rocket pods).

EDIT: As an addition to my remarks about restriction, a good pilot will know when to use what weapons. The 30mm GAU can destroy anything and everything in the game. Unguided rockets (HE/Anti-personnel) are used for static targets or large groups of infantry. ATGMs are used for heavy armor when you don't want to take the time or get close to your target (useful against ZSU's) to use your guns. GBU's can be dumb-dropped, but are best used when you have a lot of time and the skies are safe from AAA.

It's up to the leader to decide when the Wipeout goes up and who flies it. If the CO knows the person and their flying capability, he can have confidence that person will follow orders and keep that asset safe to the best of his ability.
            Oh i'm not saying the Wipeout is useless. Just wasn't necessary for what we were fighting. Now if we ever get to the north it will be come very useful. did a fly through and it's nothing but armor and RB's up there

Unkl, when we did the respawn we had gotten taken out by our Wipeout who was given misinformation and ended up taking us all out at once. 3 of us hit respawn at roughly the same time. there was plenty of space in the chopper, but i think it was trying to slot 3 of at once forcing it to throw 2 out as a 4th person respawned a little after us and made it in just fine. It has also crash landed a few times at the airbase killing those in side, fortunately it respawns with the player. not sure why as it wasn't even close to the drop off point.

Comment

I would like to start by stating that this is an ambitious task. That being said, my FPS averages about 10 on this mission I have tried a few times so far and each time after trying to shoot some baddies, I lose all motivation to play further. Sorry about my feedback as it is sure to leave a bad taste. I know how it feels when somebody complains about your mission that you have worked hours on.

Comment

[MENTION=4091]|TG| B[/MENTION] - this is vital info! Thank you.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Thought this was a good wiki page from the ALiVE group that summed up key functions now found here at TG in the new Taki mission:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Command_%26_Control

Personally I'd like to better understand the Intel and AI Commander Tasking system via the tablet. I'd like to understand how the ai commander is setting objectives and if there is a progression that can be seen. The map overlay is vague and I don't think representative of actual military activity. Per the link above:

TRACE - Threat Risk And Control Enhancement (TRACE) overlays a 50x50 marker layer on built up areas that indicates areas of potential (not actual) enemy presence. These will be cleared (turn green) as players check them and turn red if enemy subsequently visit the area. Note that is is not a military intelligence overlay as it does not indicate known or suspected enemy activity.

Comment

Just made some adjustments:
                    - removed a cqb module to increase performance
                    - edited a civ placement module to ignore small & med objectives to increase performance
                    - looked at the IED threat but don't see anything to change yet that would do what I'm looking for (ied's may just be really really rare when set to medium threat?)
                    - added map markers and briefing module for TG information (ts server ect...)
                    |TG-189th| Unkl
                    ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

If you have the ied module synced to the ai commander who is set to Asymmetric it will take a bit before they start to appear. As the insurgent force captures an objective it will then start to place ied's in that objective.

If the ied module is not synced it will place ied's in objectives within the assigned TOAR. If you login as admin and turn on ied debug you should see rings around the objectives where ieds can spawn. If you then teleport into one of those objectives they will then appear on the map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It will also show you vied's and suicide bombers. Don't get too close because even in ghost mode it will kill ya.

Comment

Also forgot, only when the ied module is linked will it lower the civilian hostility level when they are destroyed.

Comment

Thank Eric, I've tried a few configurations and at this point have used the IND faction instead of civ for the ieds. I have found plenty of suicide vests but none have ever detonated. Neither have the ieds thus far.

Changes made since yesterday:

- removed helo insertion respawn (you now spawn in building at base)
                            - added fortifications at base to load up and take out if desired
                            - added Blackfoot AH
                            - moved vehicles (including repair truck)
                            - fixed loadable arsenal boxes to be able to interact with and load
                            - removed auto-tasks (mission commander may request a task assignment from command tablet)
                            |TG-189th| Unkl
                            ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Re:tasks...

yeah tasks are kind of bunked it seems in Alive. I've been doing some reading, maybe some interesting stuff going on with Patrol Ops 4 with Parent / Child task system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ml_fwKBLQ).

Hope Alive updates task system. Having coherent / meaningful tasks tied to a larger 'war' is kind of a holy grail.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X