Vanilla Welcome Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanilla Welcome Server

So we began a new experiment yesterday. A server that is set up to basically advertise TacticalGamer.com for ArmA 3. The idea is to run it full Vanilla and use a persistent mission that will do a lot of the policing itself. The main base will be littered with the TG ArmA rules so that players who join will learn what we are about.

They may not be getting that experience on this server but they will know where to find us if they like the basic ideas they read about at the base. Here are some screen shots of the first draft of billboards that greet players.

|TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member

SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN

So this thread will be a great spot for suggestions on what might need to change in the mission or server configuration.

But first, let me clarify the reasoning for this experiment. It is not intended to take players away from our main and modded instance the Custom Coop Server. In fact, we hope it will bring more like minded people to the server who already have read and like the basic tenets of TacticalGamer.com.

It would be nice if we decide as a group, now and then to populate this instance with TG regulars but we also need to remember that this uses VON only and that we should be very careful about relaxing our expectations on this instance. We should join this instance and run our teams the way we like, and if there are players who are bent on doing their own thing then they just don't have to be part of our group.

So to quell the chaos a bit here are some wishlist items I intend to add to this mission....

1) update to the latest framework as the mission has been updated by Ghost several months back (Enemy Assault)
    2) add base protection from TK at the main base
    3) add Team Killer script to handle repeat TKs that will flag them to admins and separate those that are intentional from those that are due to a vehicle destruction
    4) explore ways to limit air vehicles
    5) script in a way to call for ammunition in the field

These missions are very large in scale and small teams are prone to run out of ammunition while attempting to take them on. I think this logistic aspect is important to preserve but there needs to be another way of deploying some ammunition supplies. I noticed that the Huron currently can bring in a large ammunition cargo container but this is rather large and more than what is required. I think an ammunition box that is dropped at high altitude and drops in on a parachute might be best. Also, in that case it is very likely that a quick reaction force would spot this and be deployed to destroy it (wink wink).
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

for the TK protection, using event handlers is probably the easiest way to handle people firing and people dying. when a "Hit" fires you can compare who shot at whom and negate damage done & force a weapon switch (which would force a pause), while displaying messages. using the "Fired" event handler can also just delete the actual bullet if the player is close to the flag (like domi did)

for adding to a flagged list, "Killed" returns the killer, and can be compared to the connected players and added to a publicVariable array or something. this can just be accessed via a dialog by an admin.

I'll dig deep in my library cause i'm pretty sure I had a ammo drop script that i made. we can work out who can call in boxes and how limited they are. the patrol response shouldn't be too hard. also you could limit air vehicles by having them spawn in once a certain number of players are connected.

Code:
      while (1>0) do {

waitUntil{ (count Allplayers)>20};
      _heli = <spawn attack heli or something>;
      waitUntil {(damage _heli) == 1};
      sleep 120;
      };
      super simple if you just wanted to have it on respawn. if you have wreck recovery we could just implement a player count condition into the recovery function, like you put it on the pad for recovery and it disappears until enough players are connected
      Yink | Vanilla Pilot | Killer of Stirling | CS GOD | Projects Team

Comment

This hasn't attracted a much attention so far so I'm thinking of a different mission to get it seeded. Pandora: The Insurgency was suggested to me the other day. Maybe if we populate Enemy Assault ourselves for a couple nights it will get going.

I'll be around this weekend to do some work on this anyway.

I think for Enemy Assault it might be best to create an inventory type crate (non-arsenal) so that the supplies are limited. Each one has a max lifetime of say a half hour then is deleted. If you request a crate that would be the 4th active crate, then a request is sent to the current admin (voted or logged) and if there is no current admin, then it should go to the slotted Platoon Leader for approval. If the new drop is approved then the oldest box would be deleted and the new one would be dropped.

I like adding event handlers on any units near the base and similar to Pandora: The Insurgency, we could also just delete any enemy infantry, ground vehicle units that also enter the base.

|TG-189th| Unkl
        ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Try 3rd person and a Domination type mission. If you remember we did fairly well populating a server back in the old Alpha server days. And I know some gamers who joined TG and later went on to the hardcore Bravo server. I might even help populate.

Comment

3rd person is so bad for trying to encourage realistic tactical style. it would be a crazy mixed message to being saying "use real world tactics" then let everyone freely 3rd person peak around walls and over fences.

Comment

I understand what Zap is saying as I have played with him quite a bit. There are just some people that have difficulty playing in 1st person. My brother can't because it makes him physically ill with motion sickness. I understand why we restrict to 1st person and don't have a problem with it. I just wish we could do something for the guys like Zap that have a legitimate problem with only 1st person views.

Comment

We did put up Insurgency yesterday...I did a quick edit and added the billboards and fixed the Pathfinders access to Zeus (still likely need to update the allowed Zeus list in it).

Looks like some of you got on it a little last night. Good news. We will keep that going for a bit. I think it already has all the resupply and so forth that is needed for it.
                |TG-189th| Unkl
                ArmA 3 Game Officer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse