Waypoints tricks.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Waypoints tricks.

Today I want to talk about what I have been using to make mission making dynamic and fast at the same time. I will separate this into two simple sections: Patrol, Defend.

Patrol:
    Making a patrol that cycles is not intuitive and sometimes you have to put multiple of them down. Making a random patrol is even more difficult and using custom scripts such as "UPSMON" can require extra setup. But there is a BIS function that does this for you and no extra scripts are needed.

Steps:
    1. In Editor put down the group that will be patrolling.
    2. Give them just a MOVE waypoint.
    3. Double click the single waypoint and then in its On Activation field paste the following code:

Code:
    [group this, position this, 200] call BIS_fnc_taskPatrol;
    Behavior:
    The last number 200 is the radius of the patrol. You can change it to cover more ground or small area. 6 random waypoints will be created within the radius from the MOVE waypoint and the group will start patrolling between these random generated waypoints.

Defend
    Simply putting down a unit in a spot will not guarantee effective defense. If you want something a little bit more than that this method will give you a behavior that is a tad bit advanced.

Steps:
    1. In Editor put down the group that will be patrolling.
    2. Give them just a MOVE waypoint.
    3. Double click the single MOVE waypoint and then in its On Activation field paste the following code:

Code:
    [group this, position this] call BIS_fnc_taskDefend;
    Behavior:
    Some members of the gorup will sit down waiting for stuff to happen. Some members will start patrolling. The neat thing about this one is if you put them nearby a static weapon they will occupy it. If the gunner of the static weapons is shot out of it another will occupy. Another thing is that they will respond to nearby gunfire and engage enemy nearby if known. So putting a lot of defending groups might overwhelm players if not used with some spacing in mind.

Delete vic and crew
    This last one is a bonus. I use it in case I am using helicopters to bring in QRF against the players. Once the helicopter drops off its troops it will return to base somewhere. In order to optimize the mission, I delete the helicopter and all of the crewmen inside from existence.

Steps:
    1. Simply put the following code in On Activation field of the last waypoint of the vehicle.

Code:
    deleteVehicle vehicle (this); {deleteVehicle _x} forEach thisList;
    Behavior:
    Once the vehicle reaches the waypoint, all of its crews and the vehicle itself will be deleted.

Some usage hints:

Using these in combination with Seek and Destroy for example will create AI behavior that is more natural and dynamic. For example, when a group comes in as reinforcements or reactionary force they can come into the area with Seek and Destroy behavior which makes them look around the area for a little bit and then after that they will simply stay still. Instead put down multiple seek and destroy waypoints and one last MOVE points with one of the above code will make them look around and if nothing is found, they will start patrolling or start defending another area etc...

Thanks for the write up Hog.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

pretty neat can you use this and the 3den advanced ai skill to turn up there spot distance for example?

Comment

This is great stuff Hedgehog. I think post like these will help and encourage more people to get into the mission making business and that is good for us

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X