Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration to TFAR Beta 1.0 - Discussion

Hey everyone,

The testing we did this weekend was very successful and has pointed the way towards some major simplification on how we want to handle TFAR going forward. The admin wants to move to the lastest version rather quickly so we can get all production onto an updated and stable footing.

In this post I want to share some of the things we have learned and will be able to change about our configuration and template going forward. I will cut to the chase first and begin by pointing out how this change will affect our current missions.

Most of our missions will require and update to the fn_getLongRadio.sqf and the initServer.sqf (I think) where we are setting the default classnames for Long Range radios. It appears these classnames have changed but there is backwards compatibility at the moment. This means that current missions still work but you don't see what long range channel you are on when you transmitting. Here is a screen shot of the error:
    20190429041710_1.jpg
    Talking still works I think but the error message is indicating that the rhs green variant of the long range radio is depreciated.

I can open up these missions on the server and inject the updated code to these as is needed to correct this. What this means for you is that you will need to also apply this change if you have completed any work on your mission for an update. I will have more details regarding these changes later this week when I begin working on the updated Mission template.

But, ALL MISSIONS THAT HAVE LR BACKPACKS ON PLAYABLE UNITS - it looks like the player may lose that backpack and the contents put within it. If you have done this in your mission, it will be up to the mission maker to make the update because moving the contents of the backpack for each playable unit that has a backpack is a lot more than injecting a couple lines of code and repacking the mission.

Changes To Settings
    Server side CBA addOn settings will be applied to set radio channels for all sides to default frequencies. A mission's settings will be able to over ride other settings so that custom scenarios can be crafted such as independents and west units sharing an encryption code so their radios will talk to each other. You will be able to have units that have no radio at mission start (although this must be very rare since it means no text or von either!!!) This is useful for escape from capture scenarios.

Server settings will also be applied that can not be over-ridden by the mission files. These are the default frequencies to be 100, 102, 104 ect... on pre-programmed channels. Default TFAR channels in TS will also not be supported parameters for missions to over ride.
    Changes to Mission Set Up
    You will be able to place long range radios on units directly once we move to TFAR Beta 1.0. This version of TFAR is wholly incompatible with players not running the mod. This makes events and social media far more important for our community going forward to ensure we are attracting like minded people to join us! We will all need to pitch in to make this work.

However, best practice is still to put a vanilla radio for Short Range and allow the server settings to replace that radio with either the Squad Leader short range or the Rifleman Short range as set up in the CBA settings. This is just so that if there is a glitch in the future and we needed to turn TFAR off on the server because of an update, all of our missions will still have VON available and in game text chat.
    Lastly, I did a bunch of testing this morning and here are the results:
    Mission Name Result Mission maker
    Kavala Checkpoint Mission has no LR and no conflict other than scripts. Playable. Unkl
    Pain Train Green backpack radio is depreciated from Get LR script. Scout
    H&M Altis - FC Green backpack radio is depreciated from Get LR script.
    Blood Drive Green backpack radio is depreciated from Get LR script. Scout
    Strike At Anizay Green backpack radio is depreciated from Get LR script. Roque
    Hired Ep1 rhs backpack radio is depreciated from Get LR script. hedgehog
    Jack Sparrow rhs backpack radio is depreciated from Get LR script. hedgehog
    The Mog Green backpack radio is depreciated from Get LR script. sturdyguns
    That is encouraging because there was no game breaking errors. I know I won't have an updated template for almost 2 weeks. I've got big projects at work so I'll be plugging away in the early hours as much as I can.

WE COULD MOVE TO TFAR BETA 1.0 now - but we want your blessing to do so. If we have to delay a week or two, we will.

What do you think?

hedgehog
    Roque_THE_GAMER
    Dimitrius
    @ everyone else who's mention isn't coming up for me & I have to get back to work???
    |TG189| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Admin
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    Thank You To our Supporting Members -
    "Place your playable units and do your tactical barbie" - Roque_THE_GAMER

I am good on the move now. I can update the problem missions from my pool and resubmit.

I for one am glad that some of the stuff is gonna be automatic like the freq sync. Are we allowed to put the TFAR objects on editor playable units now?
    Last edited by hedgehog; 04-29-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Changes To Mission Set Up
      ^^^

Please check again ;)

The dangers of saying too much vs saying too little.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

|TG189| Unkl
      ArmA 3 Admin
      189th Infantry Brigade Member
      SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
      Thank You To our Supporting Members -
      "Place your playable units and do your tactical barbie" - Roque_THE_GAMER

Comment

Good to know. This is a great relief and simplifies the mission development process by a whole lot. We can get rid of a lot of the scripts we wrote as workarounds. Instead we can use the mod objects themselves. I for one am looking forward to the new setup. I will happily strip down my missions and resubmit them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X