This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Mentoring

Here at TG we have some really skilled people that can help the budding mission creators get into the groove. Each one of you should be able to create a pretty decent mission with some minor effort. There will be things that you will get stuck on, but the community here can help.

If you need help with a issue you are running into, post the mission up here and we can help. If you do that, do not export the mission to a .pbo file. The easiest way to let us help you is to copy the entire folder and zip it. If you look in your "ArmA Other Profiles" then in the "mission" folder. There should be a appropriately named folder with all the associated scripts and basic required files.

People also have to remember that not every great mission has to be complex nor is every complex mission great. Sometimes the premise behind the mission makes it better than a ton of complicated scripts or triggers. When you are dealing with CoOp, there does not need to be a ton of useless scripts rather, critical balance of units and tactics. Overbearing is not usually good. No one here is expected to start off designing something like a Evolution, Domination or other mission of such magnitude. On a personal note, will somebody make a simple yet decent defense mission? If I remember correctly we have only 2 on the server. They are really fun when you are on a team.

Now if you are really interested simply getting started, we can run a online class and walk you through a basic step by step to mission creation. It would take about a hour and we would do it over Team Speak.

The purpose behind all of this is to encourage all of you to get into mission creation. People complain all the time that there is a lack of fresh content, well we can all help our own cause on this. With everyone here creating something, we can add to the increase in popularity of this game.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Mission Mentoring

I'm absolutely on board if it can be done on the weekends. I work 8am-11pm a lot during the week these days, though.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

A class can be done in mass or smaller groups. It is probably easier though teaching to groups of 2-5, this allows for more questions and answers.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I would be very interested in this as well. I have started the basics and have some understanding of the mission editor but always seem to get stuck trying to find a solution to some little problem with getting AI and triggers to work they way I want them too.

I am looking to just talk and get questions answered one to one.

Comment

Originally posted by enigma6584 View Post

I am looking to just talk and get questions answered one to one.
          That is kind of what I am envisioning for a class. I would like to briefly cover creating the .sqm (the main placement of units) than move onto all the other files as well as talk about triggers and scripts. All together 1 -1.5 hours of small instruction size classes. The smaller the better for me, it allows for more time for questions and answers.

Comment

I'm getting back into mission making again and although i know a bit, I still have much to learn. This weekend I am unavailable Friday after 12am zulu (7pm EDT). Sat I'm not around until 18:00 zulu - 1pm EDT and sunday I have all day up to 12am (7pm EDT) :)

I also have a great idea for a defence mission so I'll make that my first mission.
            Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
              That is kind of what I am envisioning for a class. I would like to briefly cover creating the .sqm (the main placement of units) than move onto all the other files as well as talk about triggers and scripts. All together 1 -1.5 hours of small instruction size classes. The smaller the better for me, it allows for more time for questions and answers.
              Well let me know when or what time you are thinking of and I'll see if I can arrange my schedule so I can attend. I very much need this class and would look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                I'm interested in learning the Mission Editor and craeting a mission or two but I've only dabbled with the basics so far.

If your looking for a blank canvas on which to paint your Mission Editing Skills I'm up for it ;-)

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo

Comment

Yep let's get a date down, we're all eager :)
                  Jex.

Comment

If there is interest, I can probably run one Friday night. My Saturday and Sunday are booked with family coming to town this week. I can then run another daytime one in a week.

Comment

I wish you would of told me earlier cause now I am the master at mission editing. I can make a mission from scratch heavily scripted and all. If you would like I would help you with your mentoring process.

Comment

I would like to run a small class this weekend for those interested. I am thinking around 2:30EST Sunday.

Twiggy, if you would like to add input, it would be most appreciated when we run this class....

Comment

I'd like to learn how to create missions, so far all i've really done with the editor is place Tanks and inf in S.Sahrani and Spawned in as a A10 or Cobra pilot to go and tear them up,
                          "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                          'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Try out Mr. Murrays editing guide

armaholic.com/page.php?id=2435

Comment

Originally posted by Macolik View Post
                              Try out Mr. Murrays editing guide

armaholic.com/page.php?id=2435
                              I have readed it but still it's hard for me to understand it sometimes, i mean that I've learned more from youtube editor tutorials than that guide.

I will definitely read his arma 2 version of that and see can I then understand it.
                              sigpic
                              Programming today is race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe is winning.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X