Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naming Units

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Naming Units

    How do you make the unit name display when playing the mission?

    This is what I did, I place a name of the unit in the Description field example; 1SQD LDR. I didnít place anything in the Name field.

    Looking at the unit list at the preview there is, for example;
    1-1-A
    1SQD LDR
    Fireteam LDR Alpha
    Fireteam LDR Bravo
    Fireteam Alpha Rifleman

    And so on to

    1-1-B
    2SQD LDR
    Fireteam LDR Alpha
    And so on.

    However, when playing the mission, the name 1-1-A down, 1-1-C-9 spotting is display. Why isnít the name I place in the description field not showing? Is there something I miss?
    Knowing is not enough, we must apply.

    Willing is not enough, we must DO.

  • #2
    Re: Naming Units

    Name setGroupid ["Alpha","GroupColor0"]
    Name - name of the unit you are IDing. Can also be "this" if you're working in the unit's init line.

    Alpha - What you want the radio ID to be.

    GroupColor0 - No color assigned to unit.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Naming Units

      Originally posted by Apocal View Post
      Name - name of the unit you are IDing. Can also be "this" if you're working in the unit's init line.

      Alpha - What you want the radio ID to be.

      GroupColor0 - No color assigned to unit.
      That's what you need, except in this case "Name" is not the name of the _unit_, it is the name of the unit's _group_. So, working in the init line, you would need "group this" instead of just this. Also, it is recommended to put that code in ALL the group's units, if the slot where the groupid code is not used, the group won't be renamed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Naming Units

        thanks guys it worked.
        Knowing is not enough, we must apply.

        Willing is not enough, we must DO.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Naming Units

          This deserves a bump since ArmA2 apparently has a different scheme of changing default unit names I am unaware of...? Additionally, does anyone know a good way of changing the order of groups? I've been trying ungrouping and regrouping units, but apparently single man groups retain their position in the hierarchy, which is frustrating when trying to get command slots at the top, speciality slots at the bottom and line elements in the middle.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Naming Units

            I believe changing default unit names is the same as described above -- by modifying the Description field of a unit in-game. The only way that I'm aware of to change the order of the player list is to delete all units and create them in the same order that you want them placed in the list.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Naming Units

              Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
              I believe changing default unit names is the same as described above -- by modifying the Description field of a unit in-game.
              Sorry, I mistyped, I meant the group name. Don't know why I threw unit up there.

              The only way that I'm aware of to change the order of the player list is to delete all units and create them in the same order that you want them placed in the list.
              Damn I was afraid of that. Thanks for the response.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Naming Units

                You can also copy/paste them around in mission.sqm to change the order. In it you'll see all the groups and units of the mission listed one after another, possibly in the order they were placed. The order can be changed by simply copying and pasting the needed data from once place to another. Just make sure the "items" are still in the correct order(item1,item2,item3, etc), and that the total indicated at the start of each section corresponds to the amount of items in that section. Backuping mission.sqm before starting wouldn't be a bad idea either.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Naming Units

                  Thanks Fincuan, that was tricky, but it worked.

                  In a different story, a rather odd and unexpected turn of events has occurred. While play-testing balance of my mission using the High Command feature I discovered that the standard setGroupID method was in fact working. However, for whatever reason, it no longer affects the default group name (1-1-A) at the slot selection screen.

                  Bug or a feature?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Naming Units

                    Originally posted by Apocal View Post
                    ...

                    However, for whatever reason, it no longer affects the default group name (1-1-A) at the slot selection screen.

                    Bug or a feature?
                    That never worked. You couldn't change the group ID from 1-1-A (or whatever) until the init.sqf/init lines of units is run. Been like that since ArmA.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Naming Units

                      In addition, you can make teams within a squad show up colored by doing this in the unit's init:
                      this assignTeam "Whatever color"
                      e.g.:
                      this assignTeam "GREEN"

                      So if you have say a 9-man rifle squad you can preset two fireteams.

                      Los

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Naming Units

                        Originally posted by beita View Post
                        That never worked. You couldn't change the group ID from 1-1-A (or whatever) until the init.sqf/init lines of units is run. Been like that since ArmA.
                        Hmm, I was almost postive it worked in some missions, but since I no longer have ArmA, I'll take your word for it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Naming Units

                          Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                          I believe changing default unit names is the same as described above -- by modifying the Description field of a unit in-game. The only way that I'm aware of to change the order of the player list is to delete all units and create them in the same order that you want them placed in the list.
                          This is true. It is good to know that groups must be created in the same order for them to appear that way in the lobby.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Naming Units

                            I am offering a word of warning. Renaming units, if not done right, can REALLY add confusion. This is how.. the units are named as you create them in the editor and make them playable. It starts with 1-1-A, 1-1-B, etc. and goes on and on..

                            Most mission editors don't create their playable units in an order which they would like them to be displayed in the Mission Role Selection screen. So you'll get confusing situations where a group who is 1-1-A has been renamed to "Bravo Team" by the designer. In game, original group names like 1-1-A will still be displayed sometimes, like on the group info. displayed to the mission commander via ArmA2's new commander interface.

                            As a mission commander, it can be really confusing. I encourage you to NOT rename units. Just place your playable units in order, all at once, as you would like them to be displayed in the unit role selection screen. This is usually one of the last things I do when making missions. I'll delete all the playable test units I used. Then I create my playable units. In proper order.

                            The only renaming I hope you consider is using the DESCRIPTION text field for each unit. This will not change the groups name, but add a helpful description for the unit in the role selection screen.

                            Alright, that's it. I hope I convinced you.
                            Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Naming Units

                              Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
                              I am offering a word of warning. Renaming units, if not done right, can REALLY add confusion. This is how.. the units are named as you create them in the editor and make them playable. It starts with 1-1-A, 1-1-B, etc. and goes on and on..

                              Most mission editors don't create their playable units in an order which they would like them to be displayed in the Mission Role Selection screen. So you'll get confusing situations where a group who is 1-1-A has been renamed to "Bravo Team" by the designer. In game, original group names like 1-1-A will still be displayed sometimes, like on the group info. displayed to the mission commander via ArmA2's new commander interface.

                              As a mission commander, it can be really confusing. I encourage you to NOT rename units. Just place your playable units in order, all at once, as you would like them to be displayed in the unit role selection screen. This is usually one of the last things I do when making missions. I'll delete all the playable test units I used. Then I create my playable units. In proper order.

                              The only renaming I hope you consider is using the DESCRIPTION text field for each unit. This will not change the groups name, but add a helpful description for the unit in the role selection screen.

                              Alright, that's it. I hope I convinced you.
                              Ok, thanks GeneralCarver. I see your point. In A2 looking at the editor I can named the unit by using the Description text box and it will be displayed only during the role selection screen. The name of the unit for example "1Plt LDR, 1Recon Plt, A Company, 2Recon Bn" will not be displayed during the mission, only 1-1-A, is that correct. I guess playing around some more with the editor will answer my question.

                              Also as the starter of this thread, interesting information has been posted. thanks to everyone answering my question.
                              Knowing is not enough, we must apply.

                              Willing is not enough, we must DO.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X