After Death Mini-Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Death Mini-Games

What would you guys think of having an enclosed area, such as the circular structure above, reserved for respawners and JIPs, where they can play some sort of mini-games together in. Basically, you have your regular mission, then you place this enclosed (inescapable) area somewhere away from the "action". Then any players that died during the mission or any JIPs would spawn inside the enclosed area where they could play some sort of "mini-game". That way people that died or JIPs could have something to do while the mission is still in progress. Just thought something like this may be good for those long missions so that spectators don't have to just watch for prolonged periods of time. (Also rules can be enforced where anybody in this area are not allowed to use comms, except direct). I don't really know how I would do it, but just thought it might be an interesting idea.

Re: After Death Mini-Games

Cons: Lag and it would use up much needed resources for the on going game.
    Pros: Where's my battleaxe!

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

having just 1 dome shouldn't cause much lag, the only problem is how to keep the respawn/jip players off of comms.
      |TG-73rd|Socomseal
      |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
        having just 1 dome shouldn't cause much lag, the only problem is how to keep the respawn/jip players off of comms.
        You could always let them join a civilian AI group/ a side not used in the mission, should be easy to script.

Skychief/Icewind.123/Icewindo
        Stargate Mod / Random stuff

Comment

GREAT Idea I think. Even if it was just a firing range.. placed way off from the action.. Also, you don't need to trap them with structures.. I have used great "out of bounds" scripts which could be placed in the mission around the "respawn" area preventing them from leaving. Lets try making a mission with this feature sometime and see how it goes.

Also, blackdog and I were thinking we could do a modified version of this idea and set it up for respawn "waves" on a timer (like reinforcements every 5 min. or something). Also, you could make it conditional (like no respawn reinforcements until an objective has been completed etc.). What do ya think?

p.s. A battle axe game would be awsome!
          Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
            GREAT Idea I think. Even if it was just a firing range.. placed way off from the action.. Also, you don't need to trap them with structures.. I have used great "out of bounds" scripts which could be placed in the mission around the "respawn" area preventing them from leaving. Lets try making a mission with this feature sometime and see how it goes.

Also, blackdog and I were thinking we could do a modified version of this idea and set it up for respawn "waves" on a timer (like reinforcements every 5 min. or something). Also, you could make it conditional (like no respawn reinforcements until an objective has been completed etc.). What do ya think?

p.s. A battle axe game would be awsome!
            I really like that. It makes for much more organized progress of missions (cuz I think conventional respawn missions always makes the mission disorganized and hard for the Platoon Command to keep track, and also decreases gameplay quality when people simply resapwns and grabs the nearest vehicle at base to get back in action). I especially like the idea of reinforcements after an objective has been completed, rather than the timer. I have been thinking of something quite similar to that. It involves spawning all respawners and JIPs inside an enclosed area with a bar gate as an entrance/exit that could be only opened/closed from the outside (see blufor base in Operation Golden Eagle below). That way, after an objective has been completed or whenever Platoon Command is ready to re-organize, then the bar gate can be opened and allow all respawners and JIPs to come out and grab a weapon to join the main force. It can then be closed before going back out into the battlefied.

Last edited by aceking; 04-27-2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Eventually, I planned on making a mission with an event-driven respawn like suggested here.

I tried out various respawn methods, and none of them worked very well. All had their problems. I'm sure the event-driven respawn will have problems too, but they won't be as serious I think.

The thing you will need to focus on is WHAT event will drive the respawn. I think it should be something that is done AFTER the battle in an area is completely done with. All enemies are gone for example. Otherwise, it could be tripped half-way through a battle, while the AI is still mounting a counter-attack, and you may lose another 5 players or something even after the objective was supposedly "complete".

If an acceptable solution can be found for this problem, I think this would be a good way to keep missions large in scope, without losing the player's fear of death. If you string together a bunch of missions that would otherwise be separate, non-respawn coops, then the player could be looking at up to 1 hour before they are "respawned" and able to play again. A good motivator to not die.

Comment

I recently tried 'Wave' spawning for Operation Reem. The idea was opfor was an airborne platoon and they would attack a blufor controlled town - Obregan. Blufor respawned in the conventional way. However, opfor parachutes into the AO in teams of four. The problem was that when a team without a leader spawned on Ramhadi where their respawn marker was (the idea was if whole group was present they would be put on and resultantly ejected from a helicopter above the AO) the whole group trigger didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
                  Eventually, I planned on making a mission with an event-driven respawn like suggested here.

I tried out various respawn methods, and none of them worked very well. All had their problems. I'm sure the event-driven respawn will have problems too, but they won't be as serious I think.

The thing you will need to focus on is WHAT event will drive the respawn. I think it should be something that is done AFTER the battle in an area is completely done with. All enemies are gone for example. Otherwise, it could be tripped half-way through a battle, while the AI is still mounting a counter-attack, and you may lose another 5 players or something even after the objective was supposedly "complete".

If an acceptable solution can be found for this problem, I think this would be a good way to keep missions large in scope, without losing the player's fear of death. If you string together a bunch of missions that would otherwise be separate, non-respawn coops, then the player could be looking at up to 1 hour before they are "respawned" and able to play again. A good motivator to not die.
                  Easily done Beta. We could do it. Reason why you don't see it much in people's mission is because it involves custom scripting for a particular mission. A lot of people like to do "plug-and-chug" type scripting. If we spend a little elbow grease on a scenario we could do it. I've ran this idea through my head a few times and have thought of the commands and methods we could do it with. I feel very confident we could do it.
                  Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

You could imprison the respawners like ace king is suggesting. That way, if the coditional respawn is hard to implement the problem can be solved by ace king's approach.

Objective based triggers are very appealing in terms of organization. Respawn missions scatter squads. But if the half the squad is in the frontlines and after an objective is complete they can wait for the other half who is all coming in to regroup together. It is like replacements coming in with the same names.

Comment

Nah.. thinking in boxes guys. You can script so that when someone respawns... it BREAKS them off of the group they were in, and joins up in a group of players who are at the respawn.

That way they could use "group" chat to talk w/ one another and not disturbe anyone.

Comment

But in the end if everyone but one person died from a squad, unless team status was being used they would be a lonewolf in their squad? I might not be understanding this correctly, but as long as team status was included, I think it could work.

Comment

was just thinking, back in ofp. we used to use the aircraft carrier to preposition respawns. and tried to make it a command function to call for reinforcements. i don't know if they have anything like a carrier in arma, but a base like you mentioned would work, but i do think if i could be done that the mission commander or a piece of equipment had the call for reinforcement( ie: a command radio) could be the only person to activate the reinforcement action..

Comment

After I fix some bugs in some latest missions, I'm going to look into this again.

My plan is to have two airborne infantry platoons trying to capture 4 objectives from each other. The Platoon 1IC would be the one to designate the drop zone for the reinforcements, you would spawn 300m above ground in a chute and drift in. This would prevent dumb DZs in that if you want to be a smart ass and put it over top an enemy objective, they have a LONG time to shoot you dead in the air.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X