Special Forces ODA Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Forces ODA Team

I see alot of missions have that group of slots that are supposed to be the "special forces team". However, alot of them, including mine, don't really have that much of a difference between the special forces units and the conventional troops, except the uniforms and guns. I think that it should somehow be worth being a special forces unit other than "looking cool". I think that this could be done by managing specific loadouts and giving specialized roles for every individual SF unit (which means mission should not have an ammo crate full of weapons that anyone can grab):

- The SF team should be the only team that carries rucksacks, and has a high ammunition and firepower load as compared to conventional fireteams
    - The SF team should be the only team with NVGs, whereas conventional teams must use flares
    - Only the SF team should have HuntIR
    - Only SF members have IR strobes on them (on every team member)
    - Only the SF team should have high tech and specialized weapons, whereas conventional units only use M4, except the AR
    - There should be an ammo crate containing parachutes for only the SF team.
    - The SF team should be the only team to carry silicenced weapons (w/ regular ammo)
    - Maybe let SF team to be able to choose their own weapons, only the SF team.

Specialized roles:
    - Of course, you got the 18D Medical Sergant for healing. He should be the only one with morphine and epinephrine. The SF team should also be the only team with an attached medic, any other medics should be attached to Platoon HQ, not a fireteam.
    - 18B Weapons Sergant should be somehow made so that he is able to disarm IEDs. Also, he should be the only one to have a laser designator.
    - 18C Engineering Sergant should carry high loadouts for satchels, claymores, and other explosives. Maybe also make it so that he is able to repair minor damages to vehicles on a limited basis. For example, he can repair damaged wheels only twice. He should also be the only person to carry explosives in the SF team.
    - 18F Intelligence NCO should be the only one to access a survallance camera attached to a helicopter through the SF hummvee if EMSI's UAV Management script is used.
    - 18A Special Forces Officer should be the only one with a HuntIR monitor. Also, as the Special Forces team commander, he should be free from command under the platoon commander, and should have the right to plan his own operations for the SF team (while at the same time, both parties should be informed of each other's plan). However, the platoon commander is still able to give them a specific mission objective, the SF officer simply has the right to make is own plan as to "how" he wants the SF team to conduct the operation.
    - etc... (up to at least 6 individuals, aka. "split ODA team")

SEAL TEAM:
    I haven't really got into researching SEAL Team structures. However, I think it would be great to enable SPON Scuba script so that only they can traverse underwater. This feature would be great in missions that require stealth infiltration. It would also be awsome to execute in TvT's where a high value infrastructure (bridges) is to be destroyed by sending a SEAL Team in. Places such as Dolores that has surrounding water that cuts into the landscape would be perfect.

Anyways, what I am simply getting at is that it should be worth being on a SF team, and that their roles and the way they function as a SF team should be unique and different from the way a conventional fireteam or squad does.
    Last edited by aceking; 05-05-2009, 05:41 AM.

Re: Special Forces ODA Team

Ugh. Scripting nightmare. LOL. I like your ideas. I personally don't have the knowledge in scripting to efficiently generate the scripting needed to execute these features. I'd be willing to help, but not sink a lot of time into it. I mean, look how long it took xeno to get Domination working spot free. Its not a bad idea, but I don't think we have the personal on the team right now with enough scripting knowledge that we could pull this off.

For that reason, unless I'm proven wrong, I would not endorse it as a "team project". However, it doesn't mean we can't work on it in our own time. If we get something working, we could bring it into mission we make.

I will add one thing, I think a lot of it is too restrictive. Now, it would promote team work among people in a "class based game" sense. But there is a lot of overlap in roles these days in the armed forces. And regular army not having NVGs? Come on ACE. Thats standard issue gear now in the US Army. Again, not saying its bad. I wouldn't mind seeing this tried in a mission. BUT.. it is somewhat unrealistic (assuming your striving to make more of a simulation scenario).

I've always thought they way you divide up roles is by defining what mission they are tasked with.
    Last edited by GeneralCarver; 05-05-2009, 11:20 AM. Reason: yet even more to say
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Er you want the "MEDIC" to be the IED bomb dispossal guy...lolololol ;)

I have found using the latest REVIVE script from Norrin, that having the Medics as the only ones who can revive has greatly improved the Medic role. I.e. they are the only ones who can get players up. It works really nicely and I have now adjusted the revive time and the button timer to give the medic 6 minutes to get to his injured victim. That even allows him to insert via helo if need be...

Again... less scripts the better. I try and use no more than BAS-f template scripts, DAC, Revive and possibly the airlift and or arty script.

BD1
      BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
        Ugh. Scripting nightmare. LOL. I like your ideas. I personally don't have the knowledge in scripting to efficiently generate the scripting needed to execute these features. I'd be willing to help, but not sink a lot of time into it. I mean, look how long it took xeno to get Domination working spot free. Its not a bad idea, but I don't think we have the personal on the team right now with enough scripting knowledge that we could pull this off.

For that reason, unless I'm proven wrong, I would not endorse it as a "team project". However, it doesn't mean we can't work on it in our own time. If we get something working, we could bring it into mission we make.

I will add one thing, I think a lot of it is too restrictive. Now, it would promote team work among people in a "class based game" sense. But there is a lot of overlap in roles these days in the armed forces. And regular army not having NVGs? Come on ACE. Thats standard issue gear now in the US Army. Again, not saying its bad. I wouldn't mind seeing this tried in a mission. BUT.. it is somewhat unrealistic (assuming your striving to make more of a simulation scenario).

I've always thought they way you divide up roles is by defining what mission they are tasked with.
        Yah, I guess some of those restrictions like the NVGs are a bit unrealistic in that sense. However, implementing it anyways I think will still accomplish what I'm trying to get at. It gives the special forces team that superior ability to operate versus over conventional teams. Plus, people seem to enjoy alot of night missions that lack NVGs (such as Blackdog's updated downed pilot rescue mission, and some of beta's missions). Anyways, I'll go ahead and finish up working on updating one of my missions that I am currently trying to implement this concept on, and we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
          Er you want the "MEDIC" to be the IED bomb dispossal guy...lolololol ;)

I have found using the latest REVIVE script from Norrin, that having the Medics as the only ones who can revive has greatly improved the Medic role. I.e. they are the only ones who can get players up. It works really nicely and I have now adjusted the revive time and the button timer to give the medic 6 minutes to get to his injured victim. That even allows him to insert via helo if need be...

Again... less scripts the better. I try and use no more than BAS-f template scripts, DAC, Revive and possibly the airlift and or arty script.

BD1
          No, that's the Weapons Sergeant guy, lol. As for the Norrin revive script, wouldn't it be better to just customize everyone's loadouts so that only medics are the ones carrying morphine and epinephrine. By doing this, it accomplishes the same thing of having medics needed to revive the unconscious without the need for that extra script. I'm currently typing out custom loadouts for all the platoon roles on a text file, so that all I have to do for future missions is to copy and paste those lines onto the init line of the unit. I can sent it to u if u want, and u could change things around urself if needed.

Comment

About NO NVGs...

No way, I heard A LOT of complaints in direct chat from players on those night missions. My entire squad was cursing for like the first 5 min. of the game when we played Blackdogs Pilot down mission.

I think if your not going to give people NVGs you need to make sure they are not doing a lot of land navigation in the mission. Otherwise they start getting annoyed.
            Last edited by GeneralCarver; 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling
            Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

OK I have heard this before...but what on earth are they doin with vehicle headlights....they work perfectly well. Also...the fact that no one had the brains to throw a ton of flares into the vehicles was quite beyond me. Thre should have been a fare up almost constantly during the first part of navigation, once people are in towns or near objectives there is a lot of light.

That particular mission is truly hardcore....it is easily workable providing people think about the problems they face. This is where my TGU Leaders course is going to cover some of these basics.

BD1
              BlackDog1

Comment

TGU Leaders course

When?

Also whenever I squad lead in the dark bad things happen, mainly me having the ability to sneak around the whole map and just attack from behind, not very realistic. I couldn't sneak around a whole front line!
                |TG|Ghost02
                TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
                  TGU Leaders course

When?

Also whenever I squad lead in the dark bad things happen, mainly me having the ability to sneak around the whole map and just attack from behind, not very realistic. I couldn't sneak around a whole front line!
                  Course...not too far away it's related now to another topic the admins are discussing...

As to sneaking around a front line...... seriously?

That's bread and butter to Spec Op's....its what they do..attack from the rear, so yes perfectly realistic...
                  BlackDog1

Comment

Originally posted by aceking View Post
                    Anyways, what I am simply getting at is that it should be worth being on a SF team, and that their roles and the way they function as a SF team should be unique and different from the way a conventional fireteam or squad does.
                    Agreed.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X