Respawn or not to Respawn...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respawn or not to Respawn...

Hey guys im making a mission coop atm - So far I think its so hard it looks like I made it becasue I hate you (the player) :) , There is a randomised ambush at the beginning of the mission which without respawn about 5 people could die and be left out for ages; or perhaps no one dies and the mission would progress as normal.

Im not a fan of respawn, but without something like keg's script I am really tossing up having some kind of respawn but I don't want people to think of it as a get out of jail free card like in Domi or something, do you think a respawn with no transport and like 100 second timer is enough of a peanalty? or I should just leave it as is and people can take there chance?

Re: Respawn or not to Respawn...

I've always been a fan of revive instead of respawn. Part of the fun of a mission is failing and then trying a new tactic to get by it.
    I'm working on a mission that sounds pretty easy in the beginning, but with enough randomness thrown in that it becomes difficult to get to the objective. With two medics and a revive script it's doable, but there is still a high chance that someone will get killed. I'm stuck on deciding if I should give the players some form of artillery, air support or uav just to help them out. I might just stick to a single mortar with limited ammo that can used by a player if it's needed.

Comment

Timer penalty is never enough, it could further infuriate their resolve.

Revive is better, respawn is just unrealistic. Asks for trouble and invites a lack of sense of own self. "what ever, i'll just press respawn and pick up my Barret with Javelin and satchel charges and 1000 rounds for the .50. It's a game afterall"

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

It really depends on how you design the mission. It can work, it can also cause a lot of problems.

Generally, if you give the players unlimited assets (vehicles, ammo, lives), the AI should get similar freedoms. So, the AI should respawn as well. Otherwise, it is simply a slow grind to win against a depleting amount of AI.

Respawn is tied pretty closely with JIP, and that is something that keeps server population high and the players interested. You can't just throw JIP into a mission and expect it to work, you need systems in place to account for how to get new players into the fight.

Comment

I think going about respawn could be intersting if you have a wave respawn, where every 20 minutes the CO of your team can call in a helicopter anywhere on the map to drop off new arrivals. These new arrivals can be JIP players or dead players waiting.

The helicopters spawn at the edge of the map in friendly zone with all JIP/dead players inside. They proceed to the drop off point, and can get shot down along the way so best make sure the CO picks a safe area or he be waiting 20 more minutes for reinforcements.

A system like this I think would make domination/evolution missions way more interesting and balanced, and still allow for server to stay populated. No idea how feasible to do this would be though, just an idea instead of the same ol 'xx amount of seconds' for respawn.

Comment

Use Norrin's medic script works awesome

Comment

If your not going to have respawn then use the medic module. Its easy to use and since your not respawning you wont get any bugs.
              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

I was trying that medic mod script but the problem was I couldent get anyone to die, they just always could get revived

Comment

You should try look at ofpec.com in scripts/Arma 1 section. Many of those scripts should work in Arma 2. :).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X