Modules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modules

Can someone give a "Basic" overview of what these do and how you use them? I have tried to work it out and made no sense so far?

Cheers
    BD1
    BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Re: Modules

Did you read through here?
    http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/C...Editor_Modules

Unfortunately they all operate differently. Some you can just throw on the map, some have to be synchronized, some require weird settings.
    You can just put the Ambient Civilian ones on the map, and spawn near a town and they're around. The settings you can have are listed in the wiki for number, type, locations, etc.
    The Ambient Combat one requires a synchronization to a unit. Multiple modules per unit doesn't do anything more, though from what I've heard on the forum you can synchronize to different units(as long as they're not in the same group) to increase the intensity past what one module allows though I haven't been able to get it working for me in practice...
    The High Command gets synchronized to the commander.
    The Construction Interface gets placed to where you want the base to be and then synchronized to who you want to have access.
    And I haven't gotten the artillery one to work for me at all...

Comment

Originally posted by blibblob View Post
      No I had missed that!

<post reading the above link>

Well.... as per usual things are written as if we all know what the hell we are doing! ;)

The High Command description is by far the easiest to understand (pretty pictures and all that). I wish people would writethese things considering that the reader may have zero understanding of programming other than how to place items, know that something must go into the activation line etc and then maybe a simple description of what exactly the feature is doing, in "laymans" terms.

We continue to read and "trial and error" in the editor to learn as we go along.

This definitely hihlights to me that the second TGU class we will do after the mission leadership one, is "Basic Mission making".

Rgds
      BD1
      BlackDog1

Comment

Arty Mod is rather difficult to use and the easiest method of arranging a call for fire does not work on dedicated servers. A simple drop-n-plop works to give every piece in the mission a "Target Artillery" menu though. And to be totally honest, even two medium mortars is flat overkill for most missions of the TG scale.

Comment

Here is a classic example of what is meant to be a helpful page being of absolutely no use to the "layman" whatsover:
          http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Civilians

For example:
          "Startup
          Place ALICE manager on map. No additional synchronizing needed. "

Firstly....I see what ALICE stands for, but in simple english terms what is that in relation to the game? Is it the "details" box that comes up on the screen in the editor when you select the Civilian Ambience Module? Also what then do you do with it? How do you adjust the settings..etc etc.

None of this is explained.

For example in the editor, I went to the module section, select a civilian ambience item and I get the details box. I have no idea what else to enter in the box and basically hit OK! I see an icon now in my village with the people logo, so I go to preview and NOTHING...no people.

This is exactly what I mean by whoever writes these things, instantly assumes the person reading has "X" amount of programming skill, when in fact it should be written for those who are mostly likely to be looking at the section for help, "The new mission maker".

It is no wonder why some people are put off from making missions, the BiS wiki is damn hard to understand.

Anyway, if someone can explain the above in simple terms, then they may also wish to update that page, as currently to me and I am sure many others, the page is as useful as fox in a hen house! :(

On a side note.....
          OFPEC is a much better and more user friendly site... I have just spent some time reading through their stuff and they really do a great job explaining things.
          Last edited by Blackdog1; 07-17-2009, 03:34 AM.
          BlackDog1

Comment

First thing to remember is that the modules take some time to load up. Some modules require extra time (Ambient Combat Manager, Ambient Civilian, Ambient Civilian Vehicles, and Secondary Operations Manager being the big ones) - Modules are just game logics with predefined code.

In your init:
            waitUntil {!isNil {<nameOfYourModule> getVariable "initDone"}};
            waitUntil {<nameOfYourModule> getVariable "initDone"};

For settings to the modules, either place the code in a game logic or on the init of the module. For example on the civilian module if you put:
            BIS_alice_mainscope setvariable ["spawnDistance",800];
            in the init of the module, it would reduce the default spawn distance of civilians to 800 meters away from the player instead of the default 1000 meters.

Another thing to remember is that not all modules are MP friendly. I'm starting to think the only really useful ones for MP are High Command and Artillery logic.

Comment

Ambient civilian vehicles works fine in MP. First aid probably works OK as long as it's no-JIP/no-respawn.

Comment

Cheers Dagi
                BlackDog1

Comment

Just curious but has anyone tried to use the high command modules on any of the TG missions?

We've made a few platoon assault (and one company assault) mission for LAN play, and what's nice is that if your the overall commander and the subordinate leaders are human, they still see the waypoints you give them through high command, seems like a quick way to issue orders, even to non-ai units.

Los

Comment

High command is pretty lame for commanding players, map markers are much better for that kind of thing and more realistic. If people are unable to follow simple markers on a map then they have bigger issues. Noting the location of your squads should be done via regular LOCSTATs and SITREPs.

Comment

The High command usefulness really depends on your mission design. In some cases it would be really useful, such as if you designed the mission for you command unit to stay in the rear and give orders rather be in the frontlines. On the other hand, if your command unit is up front, then the high command module really wouldn't be needed.

Comment

I disagree.

When I command large TG games I always just sit at spawn and dish out orders, never firing a single round. I receive reports from the squad leaders on what is going on/location/casualties etc and create a plan from there.

I don't need to allocated way points or anything I just plot markers on the map and off they go.

I can command several different infantry/air/armoured/mixed squads effectively all at once as long you have good leaders (and troops) and accurate information.

Comment

Originally posted by dagi View Post
                          The High command usefulness really depends on your mission design. In some cases it would be really useful, such as if you designed the mission for you command unit to stay in the rear and give orders rather be in the frontlines. On the other hand, if your command unit is up front, then the high command module really wouldn't be needed.
                          I'm really trying to think of ways where HC is superior to simply keying my mic and saying: "GO HERE, DO THIS, REPORT BACK WHEN YOU ARE DONE"...? Plus I can do all kinds saw-fiz-tee-cated things like telling them to board transport or to advance on-line with one another. The only time I can imagine HC would actually help is if the mission commander had a ludicriously thick accent or otherwise could not make himself understood verbally.

Comment

Like I said, it depends on the mission design.

It can be useful in some cases, others not so much. On the TG servers we are lucky to have good commanders and squad leaders. Even when playing on expert where you cant see other units on the map, we are organized enough to the point we wouldnt need the HC module, or might not find it very useful. In any case I havent found the module to be taxing on a server if it is present.

SP missions or co-op with say 4 players where you'd want to have more AI assistance (one or more AI squads under the commanders control) - HC works in this case.

Comment

Ooh ooh! The 'Ambient wildlife' module makes goats! And sometimes cows and sheeps!

Yeah, that's all I've got. I'm poking things and seeing what they do, though. Ambient civvie vehicles seems to place a variety of trucks and cars at random around the area. It seems a bit hit or miss. Most the the vehicles I found were in reasonable places, parked next to buildings and such, but sme where blocking the road, and a few intersected buildings. It seems like it would work to add some vehicles to a small town so people are less likely to be stuck a hundred miles from anywhere useful.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X