This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Plea to Mission Designers...

I know that all you designers are hard at work creating your next masterpiece..and we at TG who will abuse these missions thank you.. But What I would like to see, and I think there is a need for, is small scale, one/two objective battles. Maybe a quickie 20 minute max kinda thing..In and out. Get in the action fast.

Maybe take one of your large Campaign maps and break it down to smaller missions and number them. Put a back story into it and they could be played in order if wanted.. It just seems that the maps that are out there are large, complex and take forever... I spent 2 hours in a map (Created by a TG'er) today and did not fire a shot, drove a couple of kM as a passenger.. I was in another mission where our squad ran across two full enemy squads in the forest and had a great firefight..in the first 20.

Again..this is not a complaint on what is out there.. Just keep this idea in mind when you go to create your next masterpiece. There are SUNDAY missions (Hours long) and there are weekday missions (Quickies)..

Thanks ...now back to your editors..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: A Plea to Mission Designers...

Being worked on as we speak ;D
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Good point and well said.

Comment

Because longer missions tend to also require more teamwork and tactics, I lean towards them when selecting or creating missions. If you feel for a lack of shorter games, perhaps you should try your hand at it yourself?

Comment

Some smaller missions take teamwork.I think what pear was saying wasnt a jab.If you have 36 people playing and 5 people do something for the first 1 hour and 30 minutes and the other 31 sit and wait for orders that doesnt make for much fun.the last 45 minutes was fun cause we all moved in teamwork and assauted at different location.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
            If you feel for a lack of shorter games, perhaps you should try your hand at it yourself?
            I would but they would Suck... ;-)

But in reality we have folks leading these long missions who are getting Yapped at or about because the players are "BORED"...but in reality it's the map and the "tactics" that cause the delay. Too much reality and too much tactics on such a large scale are problematic in a GAME where you try to keep 30+ entertained. Tactics at a Squad level with two Fire teams is VERY DO-ABLE, fast and very fun.

Again..just a suggestion to keep in mind if you are starting something new.
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

I make at least 2 short no respawn no jip missions a week, you should request one next time the admin is picking a mission, ill also make a new one this morning, but since i already have 6 or 7 missions on there i am in desperate need of idea's for locations, I'm looking for roads, with a few building complexes around them with a town at the end and plenty of trees on at least one, hopefully 2 sides. If anyone know of them post them here or in my thread on the mission designers forums, or catch me on TS.

Comment

Well said Peardog, I feel the same way. I love the big long Sunday missions, but often times it's these missions that keep me off the TG server when I have an hour or so to kill. I love the realism and teamwork I've found at TG, it's the reason I came to this community. But it does suck when you only have an hour and you spend that hour in the woods never seeing the enemy.

On the other hand, it also sucks when you have time to kill and the alpha server is full with 16/16 players and bravo is empty. So smaller missions entail fewer players by nature, and the games that suit 40+ people have to be large and that means you'll be waiting for orders and taking in the lovely scenery of Chenaraus for awhile.

So yes Peardog, I agree, it would be nice to see smaller games from time to time throughout the week. I might even make some, we'll see.

Comment

suggest this thread be moved to the ARMA 2 mission makers/mods subforum...
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

How does a beach assault sound? With 70 people?
                    |TG|Ghost02
                    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Peardog... i submitted 30 of those exact type missions... same type of missions we played and enjoyed on ArmA1... just waiting for this new admin team to approve and load them.
                      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

hey peardog. Go play MVD Extraction. It's like a 40 minute - 1 hour mission. And it's awesome. 8 Person Co-Op. Finished it on Thursday

Comment

How about a mission that has no overall commander but a number of small independent teams each attacking a different target? That way it's broken down into a short mission(unless a team gets hung up) but supports a large number of people? It would also allow a lot of replayability since if you want something different on the next run just switch teams.

Comment

This is something that has been done before and worked quite well.

I'll make something like this in between uni (which has just started). Mainly an infantry operation in the woods, except you will be NAPA (I'm sticking with a NAPA theme atm).

I have some good ideas already :)

Comment

Originally posted by tralicrifleman View Post
                              I make at least 2 short no respawn no jip missions a week, you should request one next time the admin is picking a mission, .
                              Sounds Good... Maybe an Idea for ADMINS but a downloadable CLS/XLS detailing the missions available. That way we can have a desk side reference with us when answering the question "What map do you wanna play?"...

Heh..More work for the Admins when they lost one of the most active...

Sorry..
                              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse