Navigationally challenged missions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigationally challenged missions?

I'm just curious - what about the feasibility of a mission where you're navigationally challenged? Add in the increased difficulty of the 'no smart map information' or whatever it is.

Take away everyone's GPS because GPS jammers have been set up all over.

Now you have to rely on just a map, compass, and landmarks.

Or maybe even just the compass, or map, alone :) Navigate with the sun and stars!

Re: Navigationally challenged missions?

This is very feasible. I played a mission on vet mode a couple of nights ago where I only had a map and compass. Was fun and challenging.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

If you have a map, you shouldn't be challenged. For navigationally challenged, look to some of beita's old ArmA1 stuff. No map for the grunts, which means follow your leader. But what happens when your leader is AFK, dies or is a moron? Hope you paid attention to the map you saw during the briefing, because you're going to have to go off your memory of it.

Comment

fake. most infantry have GPS these days. Unless your a resistance fighter.. even then they probably use their cell phones. lol
        Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Its not always fake you can always make the date the earliest possible(1985) i don't think everyone had um then, of course i also wasn't born so i could be wrong.

Comment

Besides every leader starts out learning map and compass navigation before messing with GPS so it wouldn't be bad to throw that into the mix every once and a while esp w/ older mission where not every guy carries a GPS.

Comment

I played a misssion where you were the resistance, and between the whole team, there were only 8 GPS devices. One for each squadleader and the extras went to the SL's #2. It was played on vertern.
              If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
              - Sun Tzu

Comment

haha, that was my mission. Too bad the revive script didn't work. A new version has been updated without it :)

Comment

/Hijack

I'm sad that i only could play about the first 45 mins of it. I had to leave to places. From what I played, it was a blast. Delta squad, the one I was in, only had one GPS, and we split into two fireteams. I got to lead the 2nd one, and seeing as I'm a n00b at leading, we got off course a bit.

/End Hijack
                  If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
                  - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
                    fake. most infantry have GPS these days. Unless your a resistance fighter.. even then they probably use their cell phones. lol
                    GPS signals are incredibly weak. This is why a GPS device will sometimes barely work depending on where it is in your CAR, much less under some sort of overhang.

GPS signals are also unchangeable.

This makes jamming them immensely easy. When we fly missions at Red Flag Nellis, they set up GPS jammer stations that black out hundreds of miles of signal. Our pilots come back asking why their EGI system had a deflection radius of 48,000 feet. An astounding amount of our military technology relies on one of the most vulnerable systems we have.

As I said, our military is beginning to invest money into learning how to fight again in GPS-denied environments. Removing everyone's GPS mimics this. I can't think of a good excuse to remove maps and compasses, but let's start small :)

Comment

I would imagine code could be written to catch what your last known position was on GPS and then based off the direction and airspeed of the plane figure a 'general' area of where you are. It wouldn't be as precise as GPS but I dont see it being incredibly far off. My guess is it would lose accuracy over time.

Also AM frequency waves travel something like 600(?) miles and are already used to get a lat/long independent of GPS. If you have three bases or even just transmitters within range you can determine your position.
                      ---Bellicosity---

Comment

I know how to navigate with the stars. But how do you navigate with the sun?

I mean. what if it's 12pm :O

Comment

Originally posted by PCLiPSE View Post

Well Chernarus is set at an extreme northerly latitude so that will never be an issue :) (Guessing from lunar positions (assuming their skies in-game are accurate to the time and date), it's around 55-65 degrees latitude... this also means you could use sun-watch navigation to some degree of accuracy).

The biggest hurdle for solar navigation is different dates for every mission. Winter vs. summer, for example.
                          Last edited by Uranium - 235; 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PCLiPSE View Post

Moss?
                            ---Bellicosity---

Comment

Sometimes it seems like we are making more WORK out of ARMA then Game.. How about we halo you in without a map or Nightvision, pistol only..Then Shoot you in the foot...and make you get to an unknown location for pickup by a mysterious time..
                              Or we can just turn on Vet mode..
                              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse