How much information is too much for a scenario

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much information is too much for a scenario

How much information is too much information? I know it will depend on the scenario designer but should the scenario have an OPORD or a WARNO. The Operation Order has a format while the Warning Order does not have a specific format.

Here is an example of a Warning Order(WARNO)
    ďOur mission is to attack the town of Hicks at 1830 as part of the platoon. The enemy has well-prepared positions in the buildings and probably has tanks with him. Each man will carry six grenades and one LAW in addition to the standard load for rifles and grenade launchers. Sergeant Evans, your team will handle our demolitions: Draw 10 blocks of C4, 10 nonelectric blasting caps, 10 fuse igniters, 100 feet of detonating cord, and 10 feet of fuse. Make sure you testburn the fuse. Private Smith, carry a climbing rope and a grappling hook. The platoon sergeant will be here in 20 minutes to tell us where and when we can pick up our ammunition and equipment. I'm leaving now to get the platoon order. Sergeant Jones is in charge until I get back. We will meet here at 1515 for the OPORD.Ē

I guess the reason Iím asking this question is Iím building my scenario and in the ArmA2 Notes, after the Task. I have:

Situation

Mission

Execution

Service Support

Command and Signal

Task Organization

Should it be there or just give a warning order and have the Platoon Commander (player) make the OPORD and give to the Squad Leaders instead of having it made for him by the scenario designer?
    Knowing is not enough, we must apply.

Willing is not enough, we must DO.

Re: How much information is too much for a scenario

You'll hear many things from many different designers, but I prefer to give the Platoon Commander as much leeway as possible. A competent leader will issue an OPORD independent of the main notes, so I advise leaving it out.

EDIT: To clarify, the sections of my notes are:

-Briefing. Outlines the story and general situation of the mission.
    -Mission Objectives & Intel. Weeds out any non-critical info and simply tells the commander what to do, and any divisional intelligence.
    -Notes. Any scripts I'm using, or game-context developments.
    Last edited by Sc[ + ]pe; 07-29-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I normally just give mission, situation, and assets.

Mission outlines the objectives, what needs to get done, etc.

Situation explains in detail whats going on.

Assets describe what the CO has available to him (High Command, Air Support, etc)

Just be sure your tasks are descriptive yet short as well. They should be bullet points of the mission notes.
      ---Bellicosity---

Comment

Situation: A paragraph summing up why we're here, who we are and who is opposing us.
        Mission: A sentence or two of what we are doing.
        I leave Execution blank. Ideally, it's up to whoever is leading the mission how to execute.
        Adminstration: Leave out mostly, unless I have some wierd technical issues going on.
        Command and Signal: Detailed OOB stuff.

Comment

Key point is dont hate your players. This is a game and making it incredibly difficult to discern the tasks and when they are completed can be a real sore spot in a mission
          ---Bellicosity---

Comment

Originally posted by DLBlue View Post
            Key point is dont hate your players. This is a game and making it incredibly difficult to discern the tasks and when they are completed can be a real sore spot in a mission
            I totally agree on it, I hate playing a scenario and wondering if the task has been completed or if there is still something else that needs to be done. Isn't there a script that displays a message on the screen that states that a task has been completed? That way the Plt Commander or Squad Ldr knows when to go to the next task?

Comment

Ok, agree on most of the postings. So instead of writing up a complete OPORD I will use this, a modified OPORD to the Plt Commander:

I. Situation:
              Provides information essential to subordinate leader (Plt Commander) understands of the situation.

A. Enemy Forces:
              Should include the enemyís composition, disposition, strength, recent activities, capabilities, and probable course(s) of action.
              1. Weather and light data general forecast: Temperature (high & low), sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, moon phase, % illumination, wind speed, wind direction, BMNT, EENT.
              2. Terrain: OCOKA
              3. Identification of enemy forces (composition).
              4. Location(s): Known and suspected (disposition).
              5. Activity.
              6. Strength, morale, and capabilities/equipment.
              7. Probable course(s) of action.

B. Friendly Forces:
              1. Mission and concept of next higher unit to include higher leaderís intent.
              2. Location and planned actions of units to the left, right, front, and rear. State how much actions influence your unit, particularly adjacent unit patrols.
              3. Units providing fire support: List the fire support means available to your unit: mortars, artillery, CAS, etc.

C. Attachments/Detachments:

II. Mission
              This is a clear, concise statement of the unitís task(s) to be accomplished and the purpose for doing it (who, what, when, why, and how).

This is a start may modified it some or add to it like Task Organization and so on.

Comment

I think that you should strive to put the minimal amount of information in the briefing. Avoid long wordy sit reps of what's going on. Also, breaking information up into smaller paragraphs with titles will aid players in scanning through it.

Consider adding images, even some cheesy title images at the top of the note entries.. that will catch people's interest right away. They will then see your briefing isn't like so many others.. just a bunch of text.
                Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralCarver View Post
                  I think that you should strive to put the minimal amount of information in the briefing. Avoid long wordy sit reps of what's going on. Also, breaking information up into smaller paragraphs with titles will aid players in scanning through it.

Consider adding images, even some cheesy title images at the top of the note entries.. that will catch people's interest right away. They will then see your briefing isn't like so many others.. just a bunch of text.
                  Dam good idea, didn't think about adding images, going to have to hit you up on showing how to add images to notes :)

plus I'm just as guilty as everybody else when it comes to reading OPORD, my eyes just glazed over when reading to much text and not having pictures with it, and yes I was a former Marine and we like pictures instead of reading :row__642:

Comment

Originally posted by JohnO View Post
                    I totally agree on it, I hate playing a scenario and wondering if the task has been completed or if there is still something else that needs to be done. Isn't there a script that displays a message on the screen that states that a task has been completed? That way the Plt Commander or Squad Ldr knows when to go to the next task?
                    Look in the thread 'Scripts Scripts and more Scripts'

I have a script for updating tasks visually
                    ---Bellicosity---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse