Operation Storm Shadow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Storm Shadow

Hey guys my new mission is almost ready but I cant replicate having 40 people on my own server for balance testing.

It would be nice if we could test it on TG. Its a big story based tvt mission like Sam Hoy's old arma maps and Blackdog's new Operation Greyfox.

I really enjoy tvt's like this and I hope some of the tvt haters can just give it a shot becasue I think it will be a lot of fun for everyone.

Basically the mission is about Dr. Tesla who must deactivate this weather warefare device before fleeing the country. The problem is he was an old Soviet scientist and now the local Ex Soviet terrorist group are looking to kill him becasue he has made a deal with the USA.
    The USA has deployed SF in the area to search for and extract Tesla. Also the local CDF are helping to protect Tesla.

The plot twist is the USMC players are Blufor and Dr Tesla and CDF are Independant. So they dont' know where each other are exactly... They must link up to complete Tesla's objectives and then get him out safely.

On the a positive note for Tesla the Opfor dont know where he is either. Tesla and his bodyguards can go to local towns and there position will be given away by local insurgent informants. However the USMC can listen in to these as well. So as Tesla your choice is to get spotted and get extra assistance and also be attacked or you can avoid towns and get no extra help but delay being attacked by opfor.

The extra features of my mission include, Side only markers, Updating Objectives, Updating Spawn points, Halo drops, Suicide bombers, Carbombs, custom music/sound FX and more...

Hopefully I can get some interest so we can test it fully and have some fun.

Thanks - Inq
    Last edited by Inq; 08-15-2009, 12:22 AM.

Re: Operation Storm Shadow

I love TvT man. We can never properly organize a TvT game cuz of all the guys that say. "oh, TvT isn't fun". lol

Comment

Originally posted by PCLiPSE View Post
      I love TvT man. We can never properly organize a TvT game cuz of all the guys that say. "oh, TvT isn't fun". lol
      Yep thats why I want to try and promote it - tvt is a lot of fun - its much more exciting than playing with brain dead AI all the time. I have tried to reinvent tvt with some new ideas so hopefully some people will give it a go.

Im sure like socom has said before some people hate tvt before they have even tried it and just quit as soon as its picked, its a shame because they miss out in the long run.

Comment

As long as custom addons are enabled you won't see me playing TvT. While they are absolutely great for coops, I'd say essential, they shouldn't be allowed on servers sporting player vs. player gaming. It's not very funny when you're sneaking through thick grass in the middle of the night in a fog, while the guy at the other end has plain clear view for five kilometers, no grass and it's middle of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Fincuan View Post
          As long as custom addons are enabled you won't see me playing TvT. While they are absolutely great for coops, I'd say essential, they shouldn't be allowed on servers sporting player vs. player gaming. It's not very funny when you're sneaking through thick grass in the middle of the night in a fog, while the guy at the other end has plain clear view for five kilometers, no grass and it's middle of the day.
          It was the same for Arma, did you never play that?

As for View distance no matter what you set it at with addons, if you add fog people cant see further than you can.

Im not so sure if you can change fog level and time of day client side in a mission with addons but if you can - Id consider that a cheat not an addon (even in coop). It would be no different to having an addon that let you spawn an M1A2 for kicks.
          Last edited by Inq; 08-15-2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inq View Post
            It was the same for Arma, did you never play that?
            Yeah, and the cheating and hacking on servers that allowed custom addons was awful at one point. Same with OFP, although at that time I didn't know how easy it would be. Now that I've done some scripting and addon development I know, and it's frightening.

Note that in my experience none of this applies to people on TG servers. I haven't come across a single persion I'd suspect of deliberately cheating, but many of us use mods from the grey area, those that allow one to change grass, viewdistance, HDR, sunbloom, etc.

Now what comes to your mission, it sounds promising and it would be great to give it a try. The plot sounds like a good basis for an interesting scenario, and it would probably make a good mission for an event :icon14:

Comment

Yeah, and the cheating and hacking on servers that allowed custom addons was awful at one point. Same with OFP, although at that time I didn't know how easy it would be. Now that I've done some scripting and addon development I know, and it's frightening.

Note that in my experience none of this applies to people on TG servers. I haven't come across a single persion I'd suspect of deliberately cheating, but many of us use mods from the grey area, those that allow one to change grass, viewdistance, HDR, sunbloom, etc.

Now what comes to your mission, it sounds promising and it would be great to give it a try. The plot sounds like a good basis for an interesting scenario, and it would probably make a good mission for an event :icon14:
              thanks for the comment :) ,

Note: I have just tested with some guys, I have got the map set to 10,000 view distance and then set the fog so its about 3000m view, so everyone has the same VD and you cant override it with instant VD extra. Im kinda stuck on ideas for grass though.

Comment

Sounds good!

Grass depends on terraindetail, which is set with the setTerrainGrid-command. Higher value means less detailed terrain and grass.

Comment

Sounds good!

Grass depends on terraindetail, which is set with the setTerrainGrid-command. Higher value means less detailed terrain and grass.
                  ok I have made a trigger loop that sets the games terrain detail to med every 10 seconds, so grass enables every 10 seconds if someone turns it off.

I need to test what kind of fps/latency issues it might cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Inq View Post
                    ok I have made a trigger loop that sets the games terrain detail to med every 10 seconds, so grass enables every 10 seconds if someone turns it off.

I need to test what kind of fps/latency issues it might cause.
                    Loop in the script will cause desync and lag.

Comment

I find the game runs so much smoother with grass turned off... and to be honest, it really does not have a huge impact on the visual effects of the game, it still looks good..

I think all missions should default if possible with grass on low and if people truly want to get their "vegatation" fix then they can set their grass higher...

Personally I think there is a further setting with would be ideal and that would be a little bit of clutter, just a bit more than the exisiting low settings and about half of the current medium setting...
                      BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Good stuff Mike it is about time we get some TVT's going.A well planned mission where teams have to out manoeuvre each other is always fun and full of suspense.This has my vote!:row__577:
                        |TG| Eugene
                        sigpic
                        Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and has made the Lord his hope and confidence-Jeremiah17:7

Comment

Originally posted by Mikee View Post
                          Loop in the script will cause desync and lag.
                          its not a script, its a trigger that reactivates itself

Comment

Originally posted by Gena View Post
                            Good stuff Mike it is about time we get some TVT's going.A well planned mission where teams have to out manoeuvre each other is always fun and full of suspense.This has my vote!:row__577:
                            im making it... ^^

Comment

Inq, I understood this wrong way lol. Good Luck with the mission, let me know when you will test it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X