This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype chat room?

I was just wondering if there'd be any interest in a Skype chat room for the scripters, modders and mission makers here.

It's quite an easy and effective way of keeping in touch and the fact one still get the complete message history even after having been offline means it'll be easy to stay up to date and get one's questions answered, contrary to for example TeamSpeak where people have to be online at that very moment to be of any help.

It's been used for the ACE project for a couple of years and it has worked really well there :)

Feel free to PM me your Skype contact information and you'll get an invite to the chat group.
    Last edited by Inkompetent; 08-22-2009, 10:12 AM.

Re: Skype chat room?

That's a good idea, and the ability to share your desktop with others, could also be useful to you guys.
    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Start one up, I'd join it. In a few weeks, but I will eventually be there!

Comment

Feel free to PM me Skype contact information and I'll be starting up a chat group ASAP :)

Comment

Bumpty dumpty! Only me, beita and Dsl there as of yet, and it'd be really awesome with more!

Also, to clarify it is in no way intended as a replacement of neither the forums or TeamSpeak, but a complement. Easier to get answers faster over a text chat, voice chat isn't always feasible, and for smaller questions and problems a chat can be much more friendly to use rather than discussing over a forum :)

Comment

Sc[+]pe in the chat room as well now, so it is growing. Would be nice if even more came in and made use of it, both mission maker veterans and new people. A chat room like this is just as much to help you new people out with the kinks of mission-making and scripting as for the old-timers to share ideas and work out advanced stuff :)

Comment

How do you join it? Step by step?
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Ghost02 has been added to it as well, and for you other people having the same question as him:
                1) Get added to the contact list of another user that already is in that chat room (got to accept the contact invite)
                2) Have that person add you to the chat room

It's not harder than the above really :)

Comment

A skype chat room is fine guys, you can all do what you want obviously.

HOWEVER, if I hear of some people in here who are not admin staff trying to talk to outside groups about stuff that should only concern TG admins then I will not be happy. Consider this a warning, if I get reports of it again I won't be so liberal.

This also goes for those members of external groups who think they have somehow found a new avenue into TG. This does not sit well with me and I will discuss it with you later.......

Comment

What?

Comment

TG runs on TS....many of us are on TS often during the day. I therefore dont see why we suddenly want to start a new group somewhere else, maybe because someone else prefers to use Skype?

I personally would encourage people to use TS more, it is the chosen communication medium for TG and as such I think it is bad form to be trying to start a new group elsewhere.

If other groups want to use skype then good for them. I use it for my business, but personally have little interest in joining a skype chat room for matters concerning TG with people have little actual input or relevance to TG. Just my personal opinion.
                      BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I personally prefer Skype. I don't like voice chat for editing. So much harder to both explain and understand stuff over voice than through text for me.

Heck, if I'm on TS I have to listen actively when someone talks, or miss out on it all. If I have it in text I can do what I'm focusing on, and read it a minute or two later.

And of course, the fact that Skype saves the message history is a huge bonus in my eyes, since it's easy to backtrack and/or catch up on what has been said.

And thank you for saying that me, beta, Ghost, Sc[+]pe, FrankManik, nikolauska, browna and Dslyexci have little relevance (which is very subjective, imo. Just because opinions aren't agreed upon they aren't input. And TG is nothing without players) ;)
                        Last edited by Inkompetent; 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                          And thank you for saying that me, beta, Ghost, Sc[+]pe, FrankManik, nikolauska, browna and Dslyexci have little relevance (which is very subjective, imo. Just because opinions aren't agreed upon they aren't input. And TG is nothing without players) ;)
                          Dont be childish, you know very well who I was addressing there. There has been a very nasty habit of conversations being recorded, without that person's knowledge and then thrown around at a later date, which I personally find unsavoury. It is for that very reason that I personally have no wish to endulge.

Again...a personal opinion. I tried it once for TG matters and it left a very nasty taste in the mouth. I wont be doing it again.
                          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                            I personally prefer Skype. I don't like voice chat for editing. So much harder to both explain and understand stuff over voice than through text for me.

Heck, if I'm on TS I have to listen actively when someone talks, or miss out on it all. If I have it in text I can do what I'm focusing on, and read it a minute or two later.

And of course, the fact that Skype saves the message history is a huge bonus in my eyes, since it's easy to backtrack and/or catch up on what has been said.

Wouldn't a PM or a post in the "Mission Editing" forum accomplish this?
                            sigpic
                            |TG-1st|Grunt
                            ARMA Admin (retired)
                            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Well, a PM or the forum are more obstructive to converse in, and as stated above one can't (or at least not me) both focus on coding and talking at the same time, in which case I'd even have to ignore people talking/tell them to wait, or interrupt my work as soon as anyone opens their mouth.

The main use I personally see for TS as far as editing goes is mission-testing.

The Skype chat is in no way meant to take over any role though. Just as a complement, and yet another choice for people to pick from. Some probably prefer the forum, some prefer TeamSpeak, some prefer Skype.

In the end lots of stuff will end in the forum anyway with good-to-have code snippets, scripts, mission editing tips, mission feedback, and other discussions.

Just that since no one size fits all I think alternatives are good.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X