The Battle of Ia Drang - Mission Feedbacks and Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle of Ia Drang - Mission Feedbacks and Suggestions

For everyone who participated in the Sunday event or have played Battle of Ia Drang, feel free to give us (skin, soccom, and I) some feedbacks or suggestions to improve future missions or even this current one. Thanks in advance!

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Re: The Battle of Ia Drang - Mission Feedbacks and Suggestions

Good stuff!
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Overall a really, really fantastic mission. First time ever I've played it properly.

However I'm not a fan of the never-ending ammo stockpiles that are dropped by helicopter. Personally I think it'd be more fun if they weren't bottomless, so that the helicopters would actually have to ferry in new ammunition (especially to the heavy weapons squad) to not let the guns go silent.

Comment

My only suggestion is that when pilots die, remove their NVG from their corpse or something along those lines. Seen them used by grunts the last two times I played.

Excellent mission though!

Comment

Enemy HQ was kinda a Non Event in the End... Maybe more AA..to eliminate the CAS or at least keep some at bay... Enemy ARTY from HQ would have been neat.. Maybe some Snipers etc... It just might have been designed to be a Non Event...and if so then it's fine... Otherwise it was a fireworks show..
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Can't say it didnt look good.
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I think the idea of less ammo is a great Idea, I was firing round after round knowing I could just run back and get more. Also the enemy needs a few more assests, mortars or more RPGS etc to keep the defenders heads down

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
              So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Yeah, I carried 2000-3000 rounds of M2 ammo, and that was just for one of the M2 machine guns, and the mortars were pretty much firing constantly. Would have needed a whole ammo truck to keep them supplied ^^

Agreed that enemy mortars or light armour would have been neat too. But since I suppose this mission is supposed to be based on a real event, and I don't know much about that event, I can't really tell what support they had there.
                Just that wave after wave of infantry from the front was a bit anticlimactic, even though the amount of shooting was awesome.

I think one problem was the hill north of X-Ray where our heavy guns were, because if we would have got something in the rear/proper flank, even a small force, it'd have been a completely different deal for us.

Comment

Gents.....

If's... But's....Maybe's...

First and foremost, this mission is a recreation of a real life event (as close as we can within ArmA 2 format). Therefore with regards mission loadout it seemed pretty real to me.....

As in 1969... and in the modern day... LACK of ammo is NEVER a problem... therefore positioning ammo is "key part" of mission planning and co-ordination. If the ammo crates had been 40 yards further back...YOU would have had a VERY different experience... to not include them at all or to limit the content...is not realistic...

As to the forces faced....again, the guys researched the historical battle and what you faced was similar to the real deal. The Vietcong did not have light armour or artillery support, but they had MANY hardcore, very willing bodies for the fight.

With regards the hill north of X-Ray...this for me personally was a KEY objective. If I did not have control of that, I had ZERO Recce eyes telling me of inbound enemy squads, nor could we have provided key heavy weapons support.

In any battle, OVERWATCH be it via man, satellite, recce team, etc is key..... without that, you would have been a blind force...trapped in a bowl of an LZ with no idea of where incoming forces would come from.....

Deaths would have been much higher....tickets may have run out and people would have been complianing that they could not reload their M16's would would be riddiculous....

So, from my perspective....the mission is spot on....

We ONLY just beat it... contact pretty much did not stop for over 2 hours ... I have never had to CO so hard in my life....it was fun....it was EPIC and most importantly...it was DIFFERENT depending on where you were at any given moment in the battle.....

Overall.....a great TG mission..... and I am sure we will see many more......

Well done to mission creator nthamma and for the input by Skin and Socom to crete a great battle...

BD1
                  BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

I liked the arty reload script. That enabled us to drop 60 HE and 60 WP rounds on enemy HQ after a full game of fire missions.
                    Nihility

Comment

I think the mission was awesome. Huge improvement over the first couple times I've played it.

Just a note: players were launching flares directly in infantry's LOS to targets. You can't hit anything when you are blinded by a descending flare. They illuminate just as much if you shoot them just BEHIND the front line and they don't obstruct aim.

But excellent mission guys, keep it up!

Comment

Oh, and one more thing! This isn't only for this mission, but for several of them:

GIVE EVERYONE A MAP DURING BRIEFING!

As a grunt I don't mind not havig a map while playing, but it would help greatly to get... well... any understanding at all about anything to get to see a map before we get started.
                        Just to get to see some basic markers, basic positioning and stuff like that. Getting a rough idea of the fighting distances in the AO, and so on.

Comment

You have to remember this was a recreation of the Vietnam battle and as such...grunts were stuck on helicopters and droppedoff and told...Fight here! No maps for them, other than their SL's, which is exactly what we had. I think for accuracy sake, it is pretty good. It takes people out of their comfort zone... and that is good! :D
                          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Heh. Yeah, I guess for this particular mission it can be quite fitting. I'll make another thread for the map thing in general :)

Comment

Make the reporter a civilian or independent class so he isn't shot at unless he starts firing it out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X