[Testing] Realistic muzzlevelocities for weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Testing] Realistic muzzlevelocities for weapons

Currently in Arma2 muzzle velocity is not decided by the gun, but the magazine. As such an M4 and M16 are identical in this respect, as both use Stanags, even though the difference is considerably in real-life. Moreover if you use a G36 mag in either gun, which is entirely possible, they both get the muzzle velocity of a G36. Funny, because Stanags and G36 mags contain EXACTLY the same type of ammo in Arma2 :row__523:

In an attempt to fix this I created a small addon that takes barrel length into account when a rifle is fired. The addon is such that ammo type doesn't matter, ie. it works just as well with supersonic and subsonic ammunition. At the same time I also fixed the mag issue, and all mags that fire the same ammo now give the same muzzle velocity.

Any feedback on the addon would be appreciated. Consider this a TG-specific testversion before a proper release, and hence I'd appreciate if you wouldn't spread it. No known bugs. MP compatible, meaning you wont cause others or the server trouble by running this. Should also work when installed on a server, in which case it'll affect all AI local to the server. Readme included.

Download
    CBA is required

Re: [Testing] Realistic muzzlevelocities for weapons

Ohhh... Interesting! Will definitely give this one a try! One of the core faults with the ArmA2 engine imo.

However, looking at how it is done, I think I'd recommend to people to go into the userconfigs\fnc_muzzlevelocity\fnc_muzzlevelocity_ config.hpp and make sure it is only enabled for the player. Since the muzzle velocity is changed by script every time a round is fired (for the affected weapons) the AI won't adkjust their aim for this, and at least at longer ranges I assume it'll make them aim off target.

Comment

So, has anyone given this a try? Any problems? I'd especially be interested on how it affects the AI. In my own tests they have so far been reluctant to engage anything at all with the short barreled weapons, M4s and Ak-74Us, at distances where the effect of a lower muzzle velocity really kicks in. By default the AI-settings of these weapons are such that they just don't want to shoot unless the target is really close, so at least in this sense the lower muzzle velocity is somewhat accounted for on the AI-side even without any mods.

Comment

Just saw this, testing now.
        |TG|Ghost02
        TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Only fought at <200m with the weapon this far, where it won't have too much of an effect. Will keep testing though. ^^

Comment

New version up. Not much new, except for fixing one pretty stupid error on my part :row__523:
            Just install on top of the previous version and let it overwrite anything it wants.

Changes:
            • Pistols now work again(don't ask)
            • Added the ability to enable the mod for non-stock weapons

Download

Comment

dude, you really are trying to turn ArmA 2 into a Lag-A-Thon arn't you? Good god, someone stop him, he's out of control!
              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

What's that supposed to mean then?

Comment

They shoot me. With m4's or ak74u's. They shoot and they shoot me up good.
                  |TG|Ghost02
                  TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Released:
                    http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=87648

Comment

Fincuan, does your hard work make the pistols actually useful in the game? I have found that they are pointless since they just aren't any good when trying to shoot something. They should have added the pistol whip option and i would use it.

Also... COULD SOMEONE PLEASE FIX THE GOD AWEFUL WALKING ANIMATION WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR PISTOL DRAWN!!! HE WALKS LIKE HE IS STROLLING THROUGH A PARK. That is in no way how one walks when they have their pistol drawn.

BIS = EPIC WALKING ANIMATION FAIL
                      FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

No changes to pistols in this one. They're not affected by the problem, and I never use them anyway :)

Comment

Nice work; however I wouldn't want to see the velocities drop any more, they already don't have enough stopping speed as is. Although it may be realistic, it may cause more problems then needed?
                          Last edited by Rommel; 10-03-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

For anyone using the mod: If you want realistic muzzlevelocities for the Brit weapons in TG's modpack copy-paste this to your Arma2\userconfig\fnc_muzzlevelocity\fnc_muzzlevelo city_weapons.hpp

Code:
                            class ukf_L85A2_susat: M4A1
                            {
                            	muzzleVelocityFactor = 0.968; //900 m/s
                            };
                            class ukf_L85A2k_susat : ukf_L85A2_susat
                            {
                            	muzzleVelocityFactor = 0.941;//875 m/s, an estimate
                            };
                            class ukf_L86A2LSW_susat: ukf_L85A2_susat
                            {
                            	muzzleVelocityFactor = 1.012; //940 m/s
                            };

Comment

Updated, see http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=87648

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X