Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Concept for Mission Submission

Hey guys,

I have been growing tired of the poor quality maps which have ended up on our server. Many have problems. Some don't work, period. And many have poor design execution due to low mission editing experience by the designer. *EDIT.. this doesn't really apply to you guys. Most of your missions are good. Its the other missions we're getting which usually have problems.

As the mission development team, we have not had any real official project yet as a team. We have been operating independently to get experience and put out mission we're personally interested in, as I intended for awhile.

Due to the developing crisis of mission quality developing on our servers (in my opinion), I am thinking about confronting the admins with the following idea.. (and you guys reply here and let me know what you think)

All missions submitted to TG must be opened and approved by someone from the mission design team. Now, don't panic.. I'm not suggesting it turn into some long winded, red tape process. I just think we need eyes looking at missions going up on the server, before they get there. We in the mission design team have the experience to do it. We could open a mission, look for poor design or technical problems, maybe quick preview, and then we could approve it, or PM the designer with instructions on what needs to be changed.

I think this new system could really make mission editing fun for more people, with us helping people, we could get a larger group of people making mission, hence more missions on the server. AND we could keep the quality top notch, as best to our ability. I've been mentoring people for awhile via PMs and answering questions on TS and I think this is the way to go.

What do you think?
    Last edited by GeneralCarver; 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM. Reason: more to say
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Re: New Concept for Mission Submission

Sounds like a good idea.

Would have to be careful about how and what the criteria for a "bad mission" would be. Too detailed and it would take a bit of time to look through the mission, not detailed enough and it is hard to tell what constitutes a bad design choice.

I would like to see this used, it would help keep a general standard of missions on the server.

Comment

Sounds good. A good mission to me is a mission with replay value and everything working.
      |TG|Ghost02
      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I think we'd need a process for mission "testing" for this to work.

Something like uploading them to one of the servers (could put up a test server) and have PFs/Mission Devs/Admins play around with them and check them off with a thumbs-up on the forums.

Would really have to be on the ball for this not to add a large delay to the current process.

| |

Comment

I like both your ideas but, what happened to uploading missions that are only "Final"?

The mission submissions section should be more strict. Allowing the authors a very limited version changes. (this allows for less admin time, and pushes the mission makers to be less frugal with everyone elses time including their own)
          That is afterall what it states on the relavant forum. Under "version"
          I'm seeing one too many version changes from mission submissions its really just annoying to look at. Shows how careless they were when creating such mission in the first place.

During ArmA days, I used to upload missions that were only final. (yes, I had some version changes but those were VERY limited)
          I was able to accomplish this by asking other guys for help and their expertise and after testing it and making sure that it worked, then I've submitted my work.
          You can also test your own mission by hosting it for others from you own PC. Not necessarily need the dedicated unless its a script that only works in dedicated.

I say, we should do this two-fold.

A) Enforce & limit version changes to 2~3 counts in mission submission thread.
          -Limited version count will push the mission maker to check their project carefully before submissions. i.e. this team.
          -No more [TG]RANDOMNAMEHERE not following naming process v1.9/v9/etc
          -Less admin work also

B) Quality control with assistance for the new mission makers from this team.
          -This will hopefully push the potential mission makers to us and we in turn will assist them,but not vet their missions this is important.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

when i get back online, im going to go through the missions prune them, delete the dupes, possibly make a post of missions that could be deleted due to poor quality. i'm also going to stop uploading missions that dont follow the naming procedure. this may seem harsh, and will probably end up giving me more stuff to do, but i think in the long run it will work out for the better

(also start a new mission post)

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
              when i get back online, im going to go through the missions prune them, delete the dupes, possibly make a post of missions that could be deleted due to poor quality. i'm also going to stop uploading missions that dont follow the naming procedure. this may seem harsh, and will probably end up giving me more stuff to do, but i think in the long run it will work out for the better

(also start a new mission post)
              Looking forward to it.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Even though I haven't been active for a while and probably won't be until December, I do very much admire this submission process. Like Marine suggested, a test server would be the key to this. Missions that work in a single client's machine does not always mean they will work properly in multiplayer. We could have PFs and/or admins to test a mission first on the test server and if it does not function correctly then send/post it on the TG Mission Development thread where one of us could debug the mission and send it back to the designer with a comment on where the problem lies.

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

One thing I'd like to point out.. and maybe we should add this to our submission instructions post.. is that most people who can run arma, can actually run both a dedicated server and a client copy of the game at the same time. i've been doing it to test dedicated server behavior for questional scripts etc. that I use. Just a thought.
                  Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

I've noticed more and more missions being broken and I'm not talking about the new submitted ones. It seems like the 1.04 patch has made a few missions that were designed during the first patch unplayable. For example, the launch day of TG mission (0600-0800) was reported not loadable. We (or admins) might have to schedule a time to go through all the missions to see which ones have been broken since the 1.04 patch.

In the meantime, I haven't been much active lately, have we already adopted to this new concept for misison submission? I think it would really be beneficial.

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X