Prison Min-Game Suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison Min-Game Suggestion

As some of you know in my more recent missions I have been experimenting with the idea of a reserves based re-spawn system. However instead of ending the mission when a team or the team (depending on game mode) run out of tickets currently the game continues until 80% of remaining players on one side are dead. However this means that in the mean time people killed after the zeroth ticket are "captured" by the enemy and become POW's. I've tried to implement a spectator option or something similar but with limited success. Another idea I've had is including mini-games or even mini-missions which players are sent on after a sufficient number are reached. Anyway I'm out of ideas so I'd like to hear what you guys could come up with. My first experiment with this sort of thing was a rifle range in the mission TheLZ which proved to turn into more of shoot everyone in sight than actual target practice so limiting the use of firearms may be a consideration.

Re: Prison Min-Game Suggestion

Originally posted by Falcon_262 View Post
    As some of you know in my more recent missions I have been experimenting with the idea of a reserves based re-spawn system. However instead of ending the mission when a team or the team (depending on game mode) run out of tickets currently the game continues until 80% of remaining players on one side are dead. However this means that in the mean time people killed after the zeroth ticket are "captured" by the enemy and become POW's. I've tried to implement a spectator option or something similar but with limited success. Another idea I've had is including mini-games or even mini-missions which players are sent on after a sufficient number are reached. Anyway I'm out of ideas so I'd like to hear what you guys could come up with. My first experiment with this sort of thing was a rifle range in the mission TheLZ which proved to turn into more of shoot everyone in sight than actual target practice so limiting the use of firearms may be a consideration.
    How about, you give people choice to break out of the prison? :) This would be interesting.

You can also make mini-game, somewhere away which would be closed arena and players can drive cars like in Destruction Derby and hit other vehicles. However, they can't get out of the arena, so there is not going to be any harm to people who are still alive and playing mission. I have arena with vehicles, small hills, etc... like this in my editor, so if you want I will send it to you?

Comment

All great initiative but having a mini-game within a large game is asking for a lag fest to start.
      I say keep to KISS principle. Ask yourself, What is the primary purpose of me coming up with this prison idea? Did it work as it was originally intended? etc...
      Following this train of thought/analysis, you can safely come to a conclusion you might be satisfied with.

Personally, I think you are trying to make things more complicated than it should.
      If you ask me. You have made a prison to keep players from being a 'bird', 'spectator', to keep them more or less bored of being the in aforementioned modes. If I misunderstood your basis of the "prison system" let this paragraph be erased off your brain permanently.

In general, I also dislike respawn missions. Unless it is absolutely required within the mission parameters. i.e. Domination, Evolution, and that nutty genre.
      I believe it promotes unnecessary carelessness, even at best of times. Players should ideally play their virtual roles as if it was their one and only life. If not, we all know the consequences. Also this subject has been repeated over and over and over from ArmA1+ACE1 days.
      Also, by having a JIP enabled mission. We no longer need to wait ungodly minutes/hours until the next round of the game starts.

But hey you asked, I gave you my thoughts.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I think I may know why you started this thread (some 'inmates' decided to escape and annoy BluFor during the Everon TvT). Personally, I'm not a big fan of the jail system. First, it allows the POWs to escape and potentially cause trouble, even though their team is out of tickets. It's not fair for the winning team having unarmed enemy running around behind you.Secondly, although I've never been to the jail, I'm sure its really boring. I have no problem dying and watching the game as a bird. It's fun for all the dead players to comment on how the team will inevitably be flanked by AI.

To sum it up, I think that the 'no respawn' missions are great because they promote tactics and risk analysis, as real life does. I am perfectly fine with the reincarnation-into-a-bird spectating, but I think the jail would be a cool idea if there was no way to escape.
        |TG-Irr| Charlie Foxtrot

"Beyond this place of wrath and tears
        Looms but the Horror of the shade,
        And yet the menace of the years
        Finds and shall find me unafraid."

Nominate Someone For A Ribbon Today

Comment

I personally like the spectator script that has a regular spectator script but also with the edition of a map.A very good one I saw had a map that shows all friendly,hostile,and dead players as dots and when they fire, a gold line moves along the projected angle of the shot towards the target. It gives me a laugh here and there watching an AI squad outflank a squad then see the friendly squad frantically try to get a grip. It allows players to get a perspective on the tactical situation of a squad/server.

Comment

Can you tell me which map that was? h3killa. I would like to take a look at it.

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I do not remember the name of the mission but when I get home I will try and get an update for you. It is the mission on everon with the RAF Chinook and AV-8B where the british must assult a Missle Location then clear out a town of hostiles. It has a few bugs but I bet a few of our coders could fix it up.

Comment

That would be really appreciate it. I too would like an enhanced spectator script in future missions. Perhaps I will update my current ones once I check it out.

Comment

I just realized how bad this sounds. Prison mini games. hahaha.
                  Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

The mission name is:

[TG]CoOp73_MortonCowbell_v1

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed