Proof of concept: Fireteam tags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of concept: Fireteam tags

Someone suggested we could use a small addon to tag fireteam-members and leaders, so here's what I quickly came up with. Note that this is a pretty early version, but it basically works in both MP and SP. Any use for this one? Any suggestions?

Sample mission

Main features:
    • Tags with separate colors and sizes according to the tagged unit and player's role. Squadleader does not need all the information an FTL needs and vice-versa. The roles are recognised automatically and the tags adjusted accordingly.
    • Some configurable options, see fnc_fireteam\usersettings.hpp in sample mission.
    • Can be toggled with a keypress, spacebar by default, or shown constantly.
    • Compatible with respawns
    • Mission designer has to set the fireteams and fireteamleaders manually. Each Arma2 group is independent of each other and you won't see any other groups' tags. They can be set and changed anytime during the mission, but the best would be to do it on the units' initlines. See example mission. If it's not done at init remember to set the variables public.

This would make unit1 member of fireteam #1 and make the variable public:
      Code:
      unit1 setVariable["fnc_fireteam",1,true];
      This would make him the leader of the fireteam and the variable public:
      Code:
      unit1 setVariable["fnc_ftl",true,true];
    • Script in a mission or a separate addon

To-do:
    • An interface for squadleaders to assign fireteams and FTLs ingame. This would remove the need for the missiondesigner to set them.
    • Possible tags for higher-ups, ie. CO.
    • More user-configurable options
    • Compatibility with vehicles?
    • JIP compatibility?
    • Better looking tag-models. Also tune the sizes and colors if necessary.

Example pics:
    No tags

Squadleader's view with tags. FTLs marked in blue and medic in red.

Fireteamleader's view with tags. Your AR/MG-guy is on the left marked in yellow, your AT-guy marked in green is marching in the background and your designated marksman marked in black is behind him. A medic belonging to another fireteam is marked in red. Fireteammembers would see the same.

Re: Proof of concept: Fireteam tags

I'm liking it man. I think this could REALLY help out. Keep up the good work and keep us advised.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

maybe make the dots smaller?

they seem a bit big

Comment

I really like the idea but your gonna get linched by people who think this isn't realistic. Hopefully they can contain themselves because I think this is a ingenius idea. It will be wierd at first but really help in keeping fireteams together.

Keep up the good work! Lots of good things are coming out of this community.
        FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Thanks for the feedback chaps. The sizes are already one of the user-configurable options in my current(unreleased) version, so everyone can have them as they want. Agreed that the whole idea of putting balls on top of people's heads if far from realistic, but currently there's just no easy way to tell people from each other. Many times I've cursed as an FTL or grunt when I look away for a moment and lose my fireteam in a gaggle of guys.

Comment

Where was this when i commanded the Release Event?!?!?! *shudders*
            Good work. This will help alot. Oh and to the people that say its not real they should read up on what is new for the army! My unit helped field this new technology
            FBCB2
            Last edited by Dredge; 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
              I really like the idea but your gonna get linched by people who think this isn't realistic. Hopefully they can contain themselves because I think this is a ingenius idea. It will be wierd at first but really help in keeping fireteams together.

Keep up the good work! Lots of good things are coming out of this community.
              Yeah, those realism guys will want to kill you for putting dots on their screen. I will love you however.

Now, what you could do is script it to be subject to a Param value. It could be a mission feature the Server host or admin turns on and off in the Params list. I really hope you do this. It will allow the best of both worlds for a mission. Players can agree to enable or disable it.

OH HEY! Are those dots raster images? They look faded around the edges, not like vector graphics. If so, you could replace them with the icons from the soldier list of a group leader.. U know, those yellow arm badges.
              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

An addon like this would allow everyone to play the game better and stay focused on the SL or FT's orders rather then figuring out where they heck they are. We are about playing that game and enjoying it and not spending time looking for our leaders. Realism for me can be sacrificed with a addon like this.

I would give you a high five but it's kinda hard.
                FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

I definitely think this is worth continuing and finishing. Totally agree with others that it's more important to get a fluent and good gameplay where we can focus on actually playing, rather being too busy understanding what's happening to have any fun.

A well worthy compromise of perception-difficulties in the game to bring the ability to fight up to RL standard :)

Comment

You'd have me sold if, instead of those ugly dots, you had a simple text system like Beta's FoF identifier tags that Falcon is so fond of.

Comment

It's worth developing a client-side mod for those that want to have it.

Comment

That would be really helpful, but could you make a way it can be disabled for a couple seconds during a game so you can take a screenshot or if its getting in your way of shooting bad guys, and then be turned back on once you've taken the screen shot?

Comment

Originally posted by tralicrifleman View Post
                          That would be really helpful, but could you make a way it can be disabled for a couple seconds during a game so you can take a screenshot or if its getting in your way of shooting bad guys, and then be turned back on once you've taken the screen shot?
                          As the OP says it is a feature that's toggled with spacebar as default. You only show it when you want to see it. don't only look at the pretty pictures, read the text as well! ;)

Comment

This is a mod I would really like to see completed/implemented. :)
                            I find it funny how some people would discard gameplay for realism, especially if what they want ends up being LESS realistic in the end.
                            Allow me to explain: in Real Life soldiers are trained extensively so that they can operate in a group autonomously, knowing who is the squad leader, their fire team leader and their FT buddies; this is not only because they have been trained, but also because they KNOW their squad mates, something that in ArmA is difficult to simulate, what with a limited number of player models that end up looking almost the same, the fact that most gamers DO NOT have a real military training and the fact that you may have never encountered your squadmate before (although this is rarer on private servers). As such, for the sake gameplay I welcome such "situational awareness improving" mods that improve our virtual soldier life by providing alternative means to simulate RL elements that cannot be counted on in the game. ;)

Sorry about the rant, I couldn't help myself. :D
                            sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone and keep it coming!

This is still going forwards slowly but surely. While learning to use Oxygen 2 in order to make better looking tags(they're actually .p3d-models) I got sidetracked a bit and made new optics for every weapon in the game, as well as for Javelin, laser marker, binoculars and NVGs. I promise I'll return to this soon :)

edit: Ok I lied a bit, I still don't have new optics for XM8, PKP, huntingrifle and the Britmod L85, but I'm working on them.
                              Last edited by Fincuan; 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X