Unable To Teach Old Dogs New Tricks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable To Teach Old Dogs New Tricks

You can give a dog a bone, but you can't give him a waypoint?

So for my first script, I'm working on a guard dog system(c). Simple stuff. Basically when a player crosses a certain trigger line 'scent1' the dog is supposed to come running to the player. Once units of the hostile faction enter the area of a trigger attached to the dog the sound of a dog barking will be played repeatedly until the dog is no longer alive.

However. Dogs can't be given waypoints.

Nor does the 'moveTo' command work.

So what gives? Can animal units not be given any direct orders? If that's the case, I'm kind of disappointed that B.I. would leave out the obviously useful and immersive function. :( Anybody have an idea as to how I can get the dog to move? They have movement animations and can even sprint (they look quite terrifying while doing so) but only if it is a -player- that is in control of the unit. Since I want the dogs to be synched with AI patrols and to 'guide' them toward players, that's simply not enough.

Any suggestions/advice are welcome at this point.

If the leader is filled with high ambition and if he pursues his aims with audacity and strength of will, he will reach them in spite of all obstacles.
    -Carl Von Clausewitz

'The Great Game' -Blog on War in Afghanistan:

Re: Unable To Teach Old Dogs New Tricks

Originally posted by Hank Rearden View Post
    You can give a dog a bone, but you can't give him a waypoint?

So for my first script, I'm working on a guard dog system(c). Simple stuff. Basically when a player crosses a certain trigger line 'scent1' the dog is supposed to come running to the player. Once units of the hostile faction enter the area of a trigger attached to the dog the sound of a dog barking will be played repeatedly until the dog is no longer alive.

However. Dogs can't be given waypoints.

Nor does the 'moveTo' command work.

So what gives? Can animal units not be given any direct orders? If that's the case, I'm kind of disappointed that B.I. would leave out the obviously useful and immersive function. :( Anybody have an idea as to how I can get the dog to move? They have movement animations and can even sprint (they look quite terrifying while doing so) but only if it is a -player- that is in control of the unit. Since I want the dogs to be synched with AI patrols and to 'guide' them toward players, that's simply not enough.

Any suggestions/advice are welcome at this point.
    Group it with a soldier to follow?

Comment

Yeah grouping it would solve it, IF you can group it. You can't group it with other animals, I've tried that, but no idea if you can do the same with men. If that's possible you could always group it with a high-ranked soldier whose "probability of presence" is set to 0, then give the group waypoints. The soldier won't appear in the mission, but the waypoints are still there. Again I have no idea if the dog actually follows them... Something you could also do is take a look at the "JTD_TrackerDog"-script and see how the author made the dog move.

Comment

Why not just make the dog "playable"? This would work in muptiplayer(I think).
        "The unexamined life is not worth living". Socrates. "The unlived life is not worth examining". |TG| tiggr

Comment

Watch this ... looks like what you are trying to do. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQXf_cn_AHI[/media]
          "The unexamined life is not worth living". Socrates. "The unlived life is not worth examining". |TG| tiggr

Comment

Poor dog would talk, but it cant bite and will be insta kill to blufor.
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X