Grenada test mission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grenada test mission

Got a few bugs to list off of the first test of the Grenada mission, and I'll list a lil' bunch at once.
    • Monster desync at start despite all having preloaded mission. Dropped multiple players from the server out of pure desync (I had over 80 seconds of "No Message from Server"). Too many scripts doing stuff with global effects, that server have to transmit?
    • Respawn (at least in the 1-1-D Marines squad) had headbug 100% of the time. Even when disconnecting completely from the server and then reconnecting.
    • RPT errors:
      Code:
      Duplicate weapon ACE_M60 detected for AAV
      Error in expression <RESISTANCE:
      {
      };
      case CIVILIAN:
      {
      };
      };
      /marker> and then evacuate them via the >
        Error position: </marker> and then evacuate them via the >
        Error Invalid number in expression
      File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.FDF_Isle1_a\briefing.sqf, line 48
      Error in expression <RESISTANCE:
      {
      };
      case CIVILIAN:
      {
      };
      };
      /marker> and then evacuate them via the >
        Error position: </marker> and then evacuate them via the >
        Error Invalid number in expression
      File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.FDF_Isle1_a\briefing.sqf, line 48
      Duplicate magazine 100Rnd_762x51_M240 detected (id 2:323) in slots manual and manual
      Duplicate magazine 100Rnd_762x51_M240 detected (id 2:323) in slots manual and close
      Duplicate magazine 100Rnd_762x51_M240 detected (id 2:323) in slots manual and short
      Duplicate magazine 100Rnd_762x51_M240 detected (id 2:323) in slots manual and medium
      Duplicate magazine 100Rnd_762x51_M240 detected (id 2:323) in slots manual and far
      Cannot use magazine ACE_Bandage in muzzle ACE_ParachuteRoundPack
      Duplicate weapon M16A2 detected for AAV
      Duplicate weapon ItemWatch detected for AAV
      Duplicate weapon ItemCompass detected for AAV
      Duplicate weapon ACE_Earplugs detected for AAV
      Duplicate weapon ACE_GlassesTactical detected for AAV
      Duplicate weapon ACE_GlassesGasMask_US detected for AAV
      Duplicate weapon ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_WMARPAT detected for AAV
      Cannot use magazine ACE_Bandage in muzzle M4A1_Aim
      Cannot use magazine 30Rnd_556x45_Stanag in muzzle ACE_WPMuzzle
      Cannot use magazine 30Rnd_556x45_Stanag in muzzle ACE_KnicklichtMuzzle

Re: Grenada test mission

More details on these.

my notes:
    - plane crash at start
    - machinegun marine first spawned in water next to boat, i know someone else did too but didnt catch who it was. seemed there wasn't enough room in the boat.
    - slots FT1 lead and machinegunner is marine first squad spawn constant with head bug
    - high enemy lag

the headbug on the squad positions was pretty debilitating; i had to join an empty squad and try to follow my old squad around as they used VON...not very easy.

|TG-TFP|Jaynus
    Task Force Proteus

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done."

Comment

I played XO.

Bug:

XO cargo drop ability was bugged - no option in the action menu.

Spawned with only 2 clips upon respawn... this magically shot up to 5 clips after afew minutes (very strange)

Suggestion:
      For such a large quasi-company level mission I would recommend giving the XO his own section so he can view and speak on the command channel. Channel commander isn't enough due to the activity on the comnet - I would like the ability to type out messages.

It seemed like the first time we tested this the battle for the air field was much more intense. I don't know if you have triggers that tell enemy forces to converge when people drop or something (that were possibly bugged due to the c-130 crashing), but it seemed like the initial test had some extremely hairy firefights on the ground, with ad hoc sections forming from multiple chalks in isolated pockets while being attacked from all sides. The enemy counter-attacked from the forest which I thought was awesome. Let's see that again!

Have the marines respawn on the coast where they attack, not the airfield.
      Last edited by tyrspawn; 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

As I said in-game, Ghost, with the amount of AI present on the island it is imperative that steps be taken to limit how many CPU cycles they're taking up at any given time. A few suggestions to improve performance:

-despawn AI that isn't within X meters of human players
        -synchronize AI waypoints with a proximity trigger, set to X/2
        -only spawn AI when an objective becomes active, or when certain conditions are met

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
          As I said in-game, Ghost, with the amount of AI present on the island it is imperative that steps be taken to limit how many CPU cycles they're taking up at any given time. A few suggestions to improve performance:

-despawn AI that isn't within X meters of human players
          -synchronize AI waypoints with a proximity trigger, set to X/2
          -only spawn AI when an objective becomes active, or when certain conditions are met
          This appears to be the biggest problem with your missions Ghost. IF your going to put all that AI into a mission you NEED to find a way to manage them all so that each time your mission launches or is played... it doesn't crash everyone or cause people to disconnect.
          FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Ghost, take a look at my Fall of Saigon mission. All enemy units in my mission respawn in parts, when story is moved forward.
            Last edited by Mikee; 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your reports.
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Great mission btw!

Comment

One way to limit AI would be to put them in 1-man squads, then create the rest of the units in the squad when needed. That way units that you want to move around can move around for real.

To take it even a step further would be to save entire squads to arrays with what soldiers are still alive, what they have in their inventory, and so on. :P

Comment

I still think this mission could be broken down into several awesome smaller missions; the airfield jump; the marine landing + SF extraction; the fight through the pass to the checkpoint and the taking of the HQ+arty. Possibly you could get away with making it 3 missions with the checkpoint and the HQ put together. I think reducing the mission sizes will help with performance issues, keep things more cohesive and eliminate a lot of the 'logistics' elements of the mission. Each mission could be 45 - 90 min which makes it much easier to play during prime time instead of a 4 hour mission. I think if you did this you could get 4 great missions there is massive potential here but I think the current format doesn't utilize that to its full extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_262 View Post
                      I still think this mission could be broken down into several awesome smaller missions; the airfield jump; the marine landing + SF extraction; the fight through the pass to the checkpoint and the taking of the HQ+arty. Possibly you could get away with making it 3 missions with the checkpoint and the HQ put together. I think reducing the mission sizes will help with performance issues, keep things more cohesive and eliminate a lot of the 'logistics' elements of the mission. Each mission could be 45 - 90 min which makes it much easier to play during prime time instead of a 4 hour mission. I think if you did this you could get 4 great missions there is massive potential here but I think the current format doesn't utilize that to its full extent.
                      Great idea. Make it to be mini-campaign 3-4 missions. This way you can manage to add more details/AI/etc... to each parts of the operation, without causing performance drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_262 View Post
                        Negative. Logistics is part of war.

Also, the mission is about a 2 hour mission for the 2nd day and around 1 for the first day, so nowhere near the 4 per day as you described. The current method is how it is for a reason.
                        |TG|Ghost02
                        TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
                          Negative. Logistics is part of war.

Also, the mission is about a 2 hour mission for the 2nd day and around 1 for the first day, so nowhere near the 4 per day as you described. The current method is how it is for a reason.
                          Logistics may be part of war but that part doesn't translate well into ArmA. This is just an observation but large combined arms maps with lots of respawns, vehicles etc. tend to bog down and get disorganized after about an hour and a half. It is certainly your prerogative as to how you want to make this mission however I'm just pointing out that right now the mission feels like its three missions jammed into one and I think you could get a much cooler and better experience by spliting this into three missions. For one it would solve the problem of having two commands acting independently within the mission with limited access to separate comm nets. It would also as Mikee pointed out allow you to expand on each of the operations and add detail and historical accuracy.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X