Annoying thing about IEDs across most missions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying thing about IEDs across most missions

I don't think most mission creators realize that IEDs are not giant versions of landmines that automatically explode when you pass them - the vast majority of them are triggered by radio or wire by a spotter or series of spotters. The IEDs as implemented in most of our missions are extremely unforgiving, essentially giant proximity landmines - in reality you'd at least have a chance to kill the triggerman, and the triggerman would need to have an idea (LOS) of where the players are before triggering the IED. More generally, an experienced leader would spot people mulling about the area, or some dude with a cellphone in a window 300 meters away staring at the area. Even then, I think there should be a chance of the IED failing mechanically or procedurally, 10-30% or so depending on the skill of those who set it. The radio IEDs are dependent on their cellphones working and the receiver getting the call, wire IEDs are dependent on the wiring being done properly, the rumble of the vehicles nearby not loosening anything up etc.

Just an observation and I wonder what others think.

Re: Annoying thing about IEDs across most missions

I think one of the maps simulates a spotter but doesnt have one.

A tank rolled past the IED and didnt blow up till we (stryker) were next to it.
    Nihility

Comment

A good observation Krause, the Iraqis made that same one a few years back lol. Now they dont use Radios or wires anymore for just those reasons. They do have IED's that go off on thier own. They use IR lasers and when the heat of the engine on the first truck hits it, that activates the IED, when the second truck breaks the beam it blows up. Now they just set and forget and we trigger the IED's for them. Also, IED's are no longer conventional warheads like they used to be or like they are in ArmA. The weapon of choice is now EFP or Explosivley Formed Projectiles. These are the most unforgiving element on the face of the planet. They slice through tanks and put softball size holes in any uparmored vehicle.

But, Yes making the IED's easy to see would be better in game, but, it doesnt challenge you. You need to learn to clear roads and the gunners need to learn to scan. The reason people in game (and some out) are dying is because they dont have the basics down.

Scan your lane
      Clear all danger areas

Also, triggerman no longer need line of sight. they have someone in a crowd watching the ied spot, once the vehicle reaches a predetermined marker he signals the triggerman who can be sometimes almost 1000 meters away from the device. So not all people with cell phones are triggerman. And in Iraq EVERYONE has a damn cell phone and they are always on it lol.

I feel that the IED's that we have seen in game are on par for what i have seen/been blown up by down range. Just dont over use them *MISSION MAKERS IM LOOKIN AT YOU* otherwise it loses its OH CRAP factor later on...:D

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
      I don't think most mission creators realize that IEDs are not giant versions of landmines that automatically explode when you pass them
      Thats exactly what they are, which is why they are so damned effective. lol.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

If you use them, then make something that will kill armor's mobility, but not outright blow it up. At least not all of the time. One of the best (most fun) uses of IEDs I can recall was when we were testing an Avgani mission (I forget exactly who the creator was) where the lead Abrams kept getting pelted by RPGs as we approached the city. We came across a wreck by the side of a road that just screamed IED so we went around, and then a barrel on the side of the road which we also went around.

We then got to the southern roundabout and just as RPG fire on the tank increased, we were channeled into the main avenue and an IED detonated, taking out the Stryker directly behind the tank. Not wanting to get bogged down the tank driver immediately floored it, and so did the remaining Stryker. We were barreling down the road, with at least two RPGs headed for us every five seconds, and we hit a veritable minefield of IEDs - explosions were throwing up dirt all around the tank and the Stryker I was in, and it was exciting without being too annoying - it actually made you feel relieved when you were able to find cover and dismount.

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
          A good observation Krause, the Iraqis made that same one a few years back lol. Now they dont use Radios or wires anymore for just those reasons. They do have IED's that go off on thier own. They use IR lasers and when the heat of the engine on the first truck hits it, that activates the IED, when the second truck breaks the beam it blows up. Now they just set and forget and we trigger the IED's for them. Also, IED's are no longer conventional warheads like they used to be or like they are in ArmA. The weapon of choice is now EFP or Explosivley Formed Projectiles. These are the most unforgiving element on the face of the planet. They slice through tanks and put softball size holes in any uparmored vehicle.

But, Yes making the IED's easy to see would be better in game, but, it doesnt challenge you. You need to learn to clear roads and the gunners need to learn to scan. The reason people in game (and some out) are dying is because they dont have the basics down.

Scan your lane
          Clear all danger areas

Also, triggerman no longer need line of sight. they have someone in a crowd watching the ied spot, once the vehicle reaches a predetermined marker he signals the triggerman who can be sometimes almost 1000 meters away from the device. So not all people with cell phones are triggerman. And in Iraq EVERYONE has a damn cell phone and they are always on it lol.

I feel that the IED's that we have seen in game are on par for what i have seen/been blown up by down range. Just dont over use them *MISSION MAKERS IM LOOKIN AT YOU* otherwise it loses its OH CRAP factor later on...:D

Thats exactly what they are, which is why they are so damned effective. lol.
          I stand corrected.

I just think there should be more of a chance of disabling IEDs tactically than just constantly being offroad. Also wouldn't the automatic IED you are referring to be pretty ineffective in highly populated areas, and would necessitate having a spotter like the older generation IEDs? If you have an IED like that in the middle of the city it would seem like they would explode and miss the desired target.

Comment

Originally posted by tyrspawn View Post
            If you have an IED like that in the middle of the city it would seem like they would explode and miss the desired target.
            Happens all the time. Those types of IED's are set out in front of the US convoy, I/E terrorist #1 sees us leave the fob calls his buddy. His buddy sets it up a mile or so down the road you are using, and sets IR laser to go off after X times the beam is broken by heat.

Alot of times they get it right but they do miss every once and again.

Anywho, lol. In Ghosts mission you can disable the VBIED's if you send troops up to it. Maybe you can add in a trigger that pops up a message saying "That X object looks suspicious"

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X